Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Are You Having a Draft Lottery Party on Saturday?

Thanks
    Thanked 16,505 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Are You Having a Draft Lottery Party on Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    He probably could have been scoring more goals and losing more games or maybe he was playing 200 feet to get his team to the playoffs. Not everyone's role is to bury it 50 times. I think every team needs a guy like that to be a part of a winning team.
    From what I understand, samson already plays an excellent two way game.
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If it's about maximizing McDavid's star power, he ends up in Toronto.
    The Leafs are the Cubs of hockey, but without the lovable part. They're going to sellout games and grab Canadian TV ratings regardless of whether they're winning or not. McDavid won't sell one extra ticket in an already sold out building.

Growing the league in Canada is not going to get the NHL a US TV deal, and that's where the guaranteed money is.
    Last edited by WagonCircler; 04-17-2015 at 10:54 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I love the 80% "chance of moving down" for the Sabres. Really puts this crap into perspective.

4. Post thanked by:

coastal (04-18-2015)

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,023 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    The Leafs are the Cubs of hockey, but without the lovable part. They're going to sellout games and grab Canadian TV ratings regardless of whether they're winning or not. McDavid won't sell one extra ticket in an already sold out building.

Growing the league in Canada is not going to get the NHL a US TV deal, and that's where the guaranteed money is.
    For sure it's not going to generate tickets. He is going to step on to the ice as one of the biggest stars in the league. How is having one of the biggest stars in the biggest market not going to be good for the league? People who don't like hockey in southern markets aren't all of a sudden going to want to watch because you get a star player. Maybe a few but I don't think a ton. You could argue that him being on a Canadian team help more teams make money as he would be on the road in a lot of those cities which could boost gate for them. I will admit it would definitely help with the US tv deal.

Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie. DetDannyWilliams's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

For sure it's not going to generate tickets. He is going to step on to the ice as one of the biggest stars in the league. How is having one of the biggest stars in the biggest market not going to be good for the league? People who don't like hockey in southern markets aren't all of a sudden going to want to watch because you get a star player. Maybe a few but I don't think a ton. You could argue that him being on a Canadian team help more teams make money as he would be on the road in a lot of those cities which could boost gate for them. I will admit it would definitely help with the US tv deal.
    As far as the owners are concerned, a US TV deal is the definition of winning.

Him being on a Canadian team does zero to advance that goal. On the other hand, Gretzky being traded to the Kings increased LA's interest in hockey one hundred-fold.

With money being the measure of success for the league and the owners, increasing the gate in a fistful of Canadian buildings translates to pennies compared to getting back on ESPN or similar.

And as much as I agree, having spent many years living in the South, that selling hockey there is largely a lost cause, the NHL will never stop chasing that dream, because it's such a large untapped market. The Canadian market is saturated with little or no room for growth for the game.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bottom line: Everyone in Canada is already watching hockey, so it'd be like selling heaters in Alaska.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,339 Times in 2,076 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

it's 100% fixed if the Kings get him
    -If you believe the league is trying to expand it's base, it's probably fixed if the Coyotes or Hurricanes get him
    -If you believe the league just wants big market money it's probably fixed if the Bruins, Leafs or Flyers get him
    -if you think the league will f-up everything no matter what, they'll try to fix it and screw it up with the Blue Jackets winning it.
    -if you wear a tinfoil hat any time other then the sabres getting him is fixed.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    Bottom line: Everyone in Canada is already watching hockey, so it'd be like selling heaters in Alaska.
    Or ******ation pills to citizens of Florida.

SpikedLemonade

Tim is as attractive as always.

Like a frog with a firecracker up his ass before it explodes.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    Or ******ation pills to citizens of Florida.
    FL is the pill capital of the nation, glad to see your still here taking the abuse.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,393 Times in 7,276 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    The draft is pretty much anti-climactic right now as it is, the general response is going to be 'YAY! We got McDavid!' or 'YAY! We got Eichel!'. The only thing to look forward to is either #1-A real *****-fest if Toronto, Boston, etc win the lottery, or #2-Buffalo winning the lottery and shocking the hockey world by passing on McDavid in favor of Eichel with the first pick.

If they wanted to do that they'd trade down 1 spot for a kings ransom!

Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie. DetDannyWilliams's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

716 errupted in boo's last night when Toronto came up as #4 and burst into cheers when the TML stayed in their spot at #4
    Last edited by DetDannyWilliams; 04-19-2015 at 12:18 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    From what I understand, samson already plays an excellent two way game.
    That's what I am saying. If he was to content himself with scoring, he would have more goals but more losses.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    As far as the owners are concerned, a US TV deal is the definition of winning.

Him being on a Canadian team does zero to advance that goal. On the other hand, Gretzky being traded to the Kings increased LA's interest in hockey one hundred-fold.

With money being the measure of success for the league and the owners, increasing the gate in a fistful of Canadian buildings translates to pennies compared to getting back on ESPN or similar.

And as much as I agree, having spent many years living in the South, that selling hockey there is largely a lost cause, the NHL will never stop chasing that dream, because it's such a large untapped market. The Canadian market is saturated with little or no room for growth for the game.
    The US tv deal is a big one. I think he would still have to be in the right market to matter though.

I don't see this compairison with Gretzky going down to LA. They had the whole Hollywood thing going on with celebrities in the crowd and McNall talking a big game. If he went to Arizona, it wasn't going to be the same effect.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    Everyone in LA is watching the Lakers but can you tell me it wouldn't be good for the league to have Lebron there? Or in NY?

18. Post thanked by:

Skooby (04-20-2015)