Thread: BB Draft Presser

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

BB Draft Presser

Listening to the draft presser a few thoughts:

1) If you're a fan of prioritizing the needs and then drafting them in that order you may not want to even watch. I think it's very unlikely that we will go strictly by need. I think now more than in any draft in recent memory we will go BPA.

2) Drafting a quarterback is in play. Whaley thinks there is a few guys that can be Russel Wilson type players who were drafted outside of the 1st and can be solid starters. Guys like Grayson, Petty, maybe Hundley come to mind.

3) Late rounders may not even make the team. They think they are top heavy. It could put moving late picks in play. Either for players or for moving up. Trading them to move down adds more late picks so that doesn't make sense.

4) Moving down from 50 is in play. If the Bills think 6th or 7th rounders wont make the team, the strength of the draft for them is in the mid rounds. They dont have a 4th. I could see them move down to add more mid round picks.

5) Drafting a S or CB was mentioned. It makes sense.

2. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (04-20-2015),YardRat (04-20-2015)

SpikedLemonade

Re: BB Draft Presser

So drafting 2 OLs in the 6th and 7th round should shut up those of us that think our OL is weak?

This team is making a very big mistake if it does not use the 2nd and 3rd round picks on the OL or DL.

4. Post thanked by:

Later (04-20-2015),swiper (04-20-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    2) Drafting a quarterback is in play. Whaley thinks there is a few guys that can be Russel Wilson type players who were drafted outside of the 1st and can be solid starters. Guys like Grayson, Petty, maybe Hundley come to mind.
    There isn't much chance any of those three pan out.

We should still draft one of them.

6. Post thanked by:

Meathead (04-20-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    So drafting 2 OLs in the 6th and 7th round should shut up those of us that think our OL is weak?

This team is making a very big mistake if it does not use the 2nd and 3rd round picks on the OL or DL.
    ...you might not want to watch...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm all for drafting a QB, but not in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. The chances of a 2nd or 3rd round rookie starting on opening day are not good.

Draft a QB in the 5th or 6th rounds, let them sit on the bench for at least a year and learn like Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers did.

Whaley needs a day 1 starter out of his 2nd round draft pick, and that's not going to be a QB.

Cornerback seems reasonable too, but again, and corner drafted in the 2nd or 3rd rounds will likely not start with McKelvin and Gilmore ahead of them.

Safety seems likely given how nobody knows who's going to be playing next to Aaron Williams next year, and a 2nd or 3rd round safety could start on opening day (or night), and Rex Ryan loves hard hitting safeties.

SpikedLemonade

...you might not want to watch...
    Perhaps we can draft 2 more TEs early and then lobby the NFL to change the rule requiring that a minimum of 5 OLs be on the field when you have the ball.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,473 Times in 7,090 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bill will draft OL or cb. Bills desperately need the run game since we don't have a franchise qb who can get our weapons the ball. No OL, no run game.

11. Post thanked by:

Night Train (04-21-2015)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Drafting a CB indicates Graham is being considered for Safety.

13. Post thanked by:

DraftBoy (04-21-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    Perhaps we can draft 2 more TEs early and then lobby the NFL to change the rule requiring that a minimum of 5 OLs be on the field when you have the ball.
    Or simply trust that the 3 draftees that you invested in last year, former pro-bowler you added this offseason, and return of an injured free agent you signed last offseason will bolster your line.

It's not like we have no youth in the pipeline and have ignored the OL.

Hell, if you believe Chris Williams is a starter and will return to form, the only position needing an upgrade (OG) may already have been addressed in signing of Incognito.

At that point your looking:

LT- Glenn, Kujo
    LG- Williams, Richardson
    C- Wood
    RG- Incognito, Urbik
    RT- Henderson, Kujo

Which means that since last year, both Guard spots are stronger, the depth is better due to experience, and the starting RT position is stronger due to experience.

You don't just throw out the guys you drafted last year.

One more piece on this... Run blocking was not our issue last year. I fully believe the guys we have can run block. And in the pass game we could be running more spread style which means quicker throws relying less on sustaining blocks.
    Last edited by X-Era; 04-21-2015 at 04:51 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    Drafting a CB indicates Graham is being considered for Safety.
    I think they see Safety as a spot to bolster. Moving Graham is an option.

I think signing Landry is very possible after the draft.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,505 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What stands out to me is how much comfortable Whaley is compared to last year. If a GM is as important as a HC and/or as a QB to an NFL team, just remember Whaley was a rookie last year, under big pressure no less (owner passed away, the whole front office uncertainty). I still question if today's Whaley would made some of the draft day trade decisions if he had Rex and Pegula behind him.

The only true thing I got was his mention of depth. By that, I'm thinking for sure they will draft a LB and a TE, and a secondary guy. In terms of the O-Line, looks like the mini-camp before the draft holds some weight as they want the new staff to look at all the investmenet they made last year (3 picks) and maybe some early indication of the FA-to-be Glenn.

The one surprise thing I read is Jim Monos having some hints of unflattering opinion of EJ. Was he in the "organizational-decision" of drafting EJ 3 years ago? The way he answered the question of skillsets of QBs with that if a basketball player can shoot, then he can shoot, if a football play can throw, then he can throw - to me it implied the accuracy issue of EJ is not something he believes will improve much. I believed he said that and then praised EJ's desire to be better in reference to EJ working off-season with private coaches.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    I'm all for drafting a QB, but not in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. The chances of a 2nd or 3rd round rookie starting on opening day are not good.

Draft a QB in the 5th or 6th rounds, let them sit on the bench for at least a year and learn like Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers did.

Whaley needs a day 1 starter out of his 2nd round draft pick, and that's not going to be a QB.

Cornerback seems reasonable too, but again, and corner drafted in the 2nd or 3rd rounds will likely not start with McKelvin and Gilmore ahead of them.

Safety seems likely given how nobody knows who's going to be playing next to Aaron Williams next year, and a 2nd or 3rd round safety could start on opening day (or night), and Rex Ryan loves hard hitting safeties.
    Why does Whaley need a starter out of his 2nd rnd pick?

A QB could be drafted in the second rnd & sat on the bench for a year or two.

The holes have been filled. Whaley said they are going to draft best player available.

If that player is a QB, so be it.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,855 Times in 3,504 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Listening to the draft presser a few thoughts:

1) If you're a fan of prioritizing the needs and then drafting them in that order you may not want to even watch. I think it's very unlikely that we will go strictly by need. I think now more than in any draft in recent memory we will go BPA.

3) Late rounders may not even make the team. They think they are top heavy. It could put moving late picks in play. Either for players or for moving up. Trading them to move down adds more late picks so that doesn't make sense.

4) Moving down from 50 is in play. If the Bills think 6th or 7th rounders wont make the team, the strength of the draft for them is in the mid rounds. They dont have a 4th. I could see them move down to add more mid round picks.

5) Drafting a S or CB was mentioned. It makes sense.
    I have a hard time believing that we will trade down from #50 just so we can get a 4th and another pick. Lol

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    What stands out to me is how much comfortable Whaley is compared to last year. If a GM is as important as a HC and/or as a QB to an NFL team, just remember Whaley was a rookie last year, under big pressure no less (owner passed away, the whole front office uncertainty). I still question if today's Whaley would made some of the draft day trade decisions if he had Rex and Pegula behind him.

The only true thing I got was his mention of depth. By that, I'm thinking for sure they will draft a LB and a TE, and a secondary guy. In terms of the O-Line, looks like the mini-camp before the draft holds some weight as they want the new staff to look at all the investmenet they made last year (3 picks) and maybe some early indication of the FA-to-be Glenn.

The one surprise thing I read is Jim Monos having some hints of unflattering opinion of EJ. Was he in the "organizational-decision" of drafting EJ 3 years ago? The way he answered the question of skillsets of QBs with that if a basketball player can shoot, then he can shoot, if a football play can throw, then he can throw - to me it implied the accuracy issue of EJ is not something he believes will improve much. I believed he said that and then praised EJ's desire to be better in reference to EJ working off-season with private coaches.
    Monos didn't join the team until after EJ was drafted.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post

The Bills let the Ravens do this and let the QB learn for 4 years with a much better coaching staff than they had. Our 6th round QB may be ready now after 4 years behind Flacco.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    I have a hard time believing that we will trade down from #50 just so we can get a 4th and another pick. Lol
    I said add more mid round picks... later 2nd and a 3rd or 4th is possible.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I see lots of value for the OL both Friday and Saturday.