Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone else just nervous?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

anyone else just nervous?

I feel like this offseason has been a blur of good news at every opportunity.

Marrone gone
    Rex in
    McCoy in
    Clay in
    Expectations up
    Fan season ticket purchasing up
    Draft hasn't even happened.

but it all seems kind of familiar. during the Bledsoe years, it all seemed to fall right into place that offseason we got him. and it was a painful season.

I worry about the trenches and lack of QB. All this lipstick and no beauty queen seems scary to me. Then you get that schedule where 3 of first 5 teams have longer rest than us. i worry about the transition from schwartz to REx. Regardless of scheme, one huge thing we had go our way for the first time in a long time was the lack of injuries. Our D was so good because the injuries didn't pile up. If we get some this time around, i don't think it's a no brainer that we are a top 5 defense.

That being said, i am excited for the season to start and to be proven that i was just worried over nothing. If they can start hot, unlike the jauron and gailey years, i have faith that rex will keep them fired up and focused.

2. Post thanked by:

better days (04-23-2015),BillsImpossible (04-23-2015),jimmifli (04-24-2015),Mace (04-23-2015)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: anyone else just nervous?

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    All this lipstick and no beauty queen seems scary to me.
    Excellent way to say it.

I'm real excited to see what Ryan does with the D. I love his manner of aggressive D. I also already wish he'd be quiet a while sometimes. I'm excited to see how they respond to his leadership.

I'm excited to see what Roman can do, and see what happens with the additions of Incognito, Felton (not getting a lot of press but I think he was an important add), McCoy & Harvin.

I'm real nervous because I'm not sold on Whaley as a GM, nor on Ryan as an HC (though certainly as a leader and a defensive mind), or at this point, sorry to say it, on Pegulas as effective owners (though certainly nice, devoted, well intentioned people).

I'm real not nervous, because Ryan will be gloriously entertaining, not on a short leash or embattled, and colorful no matter what happens.

I already figure this could go real bad or real good, and even if real bad, it will take a couple or few years of real bad for people in general to fall out of love with the marquee Ryan.

4. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (04-25-2015),trapezeus (04-24-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Excellent way to say it.

I'm real excited to see what Ryan does with the D. I love his manner of aggressive D. I also already wish he'd be quiet a while sometimes. I'm excited to see how they respond to his leadership.

I'm excited to see what Roman can do, and see what happens with the additions of Incognito, Felton (not getting a lot of press but I think he was an important add), McCoy & Harvin.

I'm real nervous because I'm not sold on Whaley as a GM, nor on Ryan as an HC (though certainly as a leader and a defensive mind), or at this point, sorry to say it, on Pegulas as effective owners (though certainly nice, devoted, well intentioned people).

I'm real not nervous, because Ryan will be gloriously entertaining, not on a short leash or embattled, and colorful no matter what happens.

I already figure this could go real bad or real good, and even if real bad, it will take a couple or few years of real bad for people in general to fall out of love with the marquee Ryan.
    I doubt it will be, but even if this team is a train wreck under Rex, there is no doubt it will be entertaining.

6. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (04-23-2015),Mace (04-23-2015)

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    Then you get that schedule where 3 of first 5 teams have longer rest than us.
    I mean, come on. Are we seriously upset about a team having more rest than us in week 2?

I'm nervous about the QB and OL situation honestly, but I'm a lot more nervous about 2016 and 2017 because of the bad contracts we signed this year.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

8. Post thanked by:

Topas (04-24-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not nervous at all. I'm excited to see what happens.

I won't get nervous until I get drawn into real in-game situations when they unfold. There is only so much I can project upon it beforehand.

I'll get let down if the Bills lose, but that's nothing new. I see the OP's point where it may be a little further to fall because of heightened expectations, but I see that as good thing.

10. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (04-23-2015),trapezeus (04-24-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Zebras make me nervous.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    I mean, come on. Are we seriously upset about a team having more rest than us in week 2?
    I think I am mostly because it is becoming yearly and standard no matter the week. It's getting stupid only because it's becoming so standard and yearly.

13. Post thanked by:

trapezeus (04-24-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I was excited until the schedule came out. If we go 10-6 Rex might be coaching in his third AFC title game.

Unfortunately this has a 6-10 nightmare written all over it. I hope I'm wrong but we could be 0-3 in a blink of an eye to start.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We all know they must prove it on the field... but only a manic depressive could ignore all the recent positive moves (new owner,coaches,players).

Win a couple more games than last year and you can be in the post season. It's not false hope.

Can't wait to start watching this 2015 edition.

If you're nervous, adjust your meds.

16. Post thanked by:

Mace (04-25-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,556 Times in 17,441 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not nervous, I'm just in the minority that isn't really excited about what's happened in the off season so far. My expectations right now are lower than what they might have been if the team had gone a different direction with coaching and free agency. Still excited about the draft and eventually getting the ball rolling, though, to see how things play out.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Any time you have new coaching staff, new schemes - defense and offense - is not a time looking for optimal results right away. I echo Hurricane that the schedule really does not help having the Bills play 3 teams that they need everything going to be successful.

Rex's success in 2009 Jets is comforting since I believe the current Bills have more talent than that Jets squad. But that Jets team retained the same offensive scheme and had a perfect O-Line to do the ground and pound for Rex. On the other hand, the 2015 Bills have to learn a brand new offense but no rookie is expected to start so the learning curve might be somewhat shorter. Still you have to expect that it will take at least first quater of the season for the offense to run at a somewhat efficient level.

So can the Bills' defense dominating Tom Brady, Andrew Luck, and Ryan Tannerhill out of the gate? Luck and Tannerhill thus far in their careers are known to be fast starters.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,296 Times in 13,726 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm very nervous.

The additions of Clay and McCoy are nice but I don't think they can be effective without a good Qb or OL. Clearly, we don't have a good QB. The OL is relying on a guy who hasn't played in over a year and young guys developing. It's one hell of a risk to go for broke on skill positions and essentially leave the OL to chance.

As far as the D, I'm not sure what to think. It will be their fourth system in 4 years, but that didn't hold them back the last two. Also, people seem to be forgetting that we lost Searcy and have no true 3-4 NT.

I know people will say that the roster isn't set yet, but all that's available is other teams' trash, and we are right up against the cap, so even if someone does become available, we may not be able to afford to sign them. And there's the draft, but we only have 6 picks and only 2 in the first 4 rounds,no the chances of finding a Day 1 starter at OL, NT or S are slim to none.

The team has gotten all kinds of media attention. Lofty expectations abound from TV talking heads to the fans buying up season tix in droves. But it wreaks of typical Buffalo let-down.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,165 Times in 5,898 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Nervous about a football season?

Let's see.

In the dentists chair and big needle approaching.... Nervous.

Coughing up blood... Nervous.

Wife introduces me to new "lawyer friend"... Nervous.

Food just brought to the table and the chicken looks like a chia pet... Nervous.

Bills?... Meh

21. Post thanked by:

Mr. Miyagi (04-24-2015),Night Train (04-24-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I'm very nervous.

The additions of Clay and McCoy are nice but I don't think they can be effective without a good Qb or OL. Clearly, we don't have a good QB. The OL is relying on a guy who hasn't played in over a year and young guys developing. It's one hell of a risk to go for broke on skill positions and essentially leave the OL to chance.

As far as the D, I'm not sure what to think. It will be their fourth system in 4 years, but that didn't hold them back the last two. Also, people seem to be forgetting that we lost Searcy and have no true 3-4 NT.

I know people will say that the roster isn't set yet, but all that's available is other teams' trash, and we are right up against the cap, so even if someone does become available, we may not be able to afford to sign them. And there's the draft, but we only have 6 picks and only 2 in the first 4 rounds,no the chances of finding a Day 1 starter at OL, NT or S are slim to none.

The team has gotten all kinds of media attention. Lofty expectations abound from TV talking heads to the fans buying up season tix in droves. But it wreaks of typical Buffalo let-down.
    Not as pessimistic as you are. The #1 rule of thumb for all sports is that talent wins out at the end. There are holes on this team. But no one can deny the fact that the talent on this Bills team ranked above half the team in NFL.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by HHURRICANE View Post
    I was excited until the schedule came out. If we go 10-6 Rex might be coaching in his third AFC title game.

Unfortunately this has a 6-10 nightmare written all over it. I hope I'm wrong but we could be 0-3 in a blink of an eye to start.
    Even if 0-3 is the case, there are 13 games after that.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Even if 0-3 is the case, there are 13 games after that.
    First 3 are all AFC games. ****ty conference record burned us last year. If we go 0-3 we are screwed.

25. Post thanked by:

HHURRICANE (04-24-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

First 3 are all AFC games. ****ty conference record burned us last year. If we go 0-3 we are screwed.
    Losing to the damn Raiders is what really burned us last year.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well that was part of the ****ty conf record.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Losing to the Raiders was embarassing but it ultimately was too late at that point. Even if we had beaten them we would have been eliminated on tiebreakers to Baltimore. Our only chance was to sweep December.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I rather face Indy and NE early in the year. That is two of their toughest games of the year and the Bills get them right out of the gate. The good thing is the opponent will not have much tape to study on this team which is a huge advantage than playing them in week 8 or 9.

One caveat I am nervous about is Darreus potential suspension. The Bills need him for those games.