Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Rivers

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Riv

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    IlluminatusUIUC mentioned Rivers' contract.

His cap hit in 2015 is $17.4 million for the Chargers.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-diego...philip-rivers/
    and according to http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/ we're $6.9 under the cap which players do you cut that give us the right mix of defense/offense/ST to win under Rivers at QB?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Riv

In 1988 the Bills didn't have a first round draft pick.

In 1989 the Bills didn't have a first round draft pick.

In 1990 the Bills went to their first Super Bowl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nd_draft_picks

The Bills need a quarterback now, not later.
    1988 we lucked out in getting a Hall of Fame/game changer RB in the 2nd Round due to a bum knee. The 1989 team also lucked out to find another Hall of Famer available to sign in Week 4 of the season in James Lofton. That said I don't think anyone could have predicted Lofton turn out to be what he was in 1990/91 based on his 1989 stats.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    Wow. I'm a pessimist, but you take it to a new level.

I don't think Ryan is an idiot, and I think he will cater the Defense to the personnel. If this group can play at an extremely high level going from Pettine to Schwartz, they can do the same from Schwartz to Ryan.

And those skill positions galore would be supercharged (no pun intended) with Rivers at the helm of the Offense.

The OL is questionable, but there's a mix of young talent and veteran toughness and experience. There's more than enough there for a guy who gets rid of the ball as quickly and accurately as Rivers, especially when he has all the tools available to him that he would have here.

Weigh having Rivers vs. having the picks it would take to get a franchise QB in the hands of an organization that is clearly clueless when it comes to QBs, and this is the easiest call ever.

But that being said, I don't believe we have the currency to offer San Diego to get Rivers. I wish we could borrow from the Sabres.
    Great points! I agree with everything except the trade currency issue.

The Bills might be the only team in the NFL that could reasonably give up their next 2 first round draft picks for Rivers.

The Bills are a quarterback away from winning the Super Bowl.

The Texans and Cardinals might be the only other teams in the NFL willing to do such a thing.

The team that gives up the most picks for Rivers wins.

I have no doubts about the Chargers trading Rivers. They'd be stupid not to in their situation.

4. Post thanked by:

better days (04-27-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    1988 we lucked out in getting a Hall of Fame/game changer RB in the 2nd Round due to a bum knee. The 1989 team also lucked out to find another Hall of Famer available to sign in Week 4 of the season in James Lofton. That said I don't think anyone could have predicted Lofton turn out to be what he was in 1990/91 based on his 1989 stats.
    Loft turned out to be what he was in 90/1 because we had Kelly.

6. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (04-26-2015)

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

That happens all the time.

IMO, trading for Rivers would be a solid but not great move. However, I'm not sure he's worth what many are talking about here. I'm not sure I'd give up much more than next years 1st and this years 3rd. If that. I'd feel a lot better about not spending a 1st on him.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Great points! I agree with everything except the trade currency issue.

The Bills might be the only team in the NFL that could reasonably give up their next 2 first round draft picks for Rivers.

The Bills are a quarterback away from winning the Super Bowl.

The Texans and Cardinals might be the only other teams in the NFL willing to do such a thing.

The team that gives up the most picks for Rivers wins.

I have no doubts about the Chargers trading Rivers. They'd be stupid not to in their situation.
    But other teams have picks and possibly QBs to trade. We have less #1s than almost any team, and no QBs worth an order of 7-11 nachos.

San Diego will need a QB in a deal for Rivers, I think. Especially if they can get one in a deal that has a #1 this year.

If they could send Rivers and their #1 to Philly, they could get Bradford an d Philly could package Rivers to get to #2 this year, since they seem to be so obsessed with Mariota.

I just think there's too much competition out there who have more to deal than we do.

9. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

and according to http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/ we're $6.9 under the cap which players do you cut that give us the right mix of defense/offense/ST to win under Rivers at QB?
    LeSean McCoy has a huge cap hit, right?

Nope.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/lesean-mccoy/

McCoy has a $5.5 million cap hit in 2015. The Bills gave him a big signing bonus ($13.1 million) and totally restructured his former contract.

The Bills can do the same thing with Rivers. Big signing bonus with a workable cap hit.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    That happens all the time.

IMO, trading for Rivers would be a solid but not great move. However, I'm not sure he's worth what many are talking about here. I'm not sure I'd give up much more than next years 1st and this years 3rd. If that. I'd feel a lot better about not spending a 1st on him.
    Something just doesn't sit with me and Phillip Rivers, he puts up great stats but he's never had a great team around him and/or he hasn't been able to win more in the post season. If I was going to pursue a QB I'd rather go after someone like Eli Manning as to me he defines clutch as unlike Phil, Eli wins more despite having worse stats.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

But other teams have picks and possibly QBs to trade. We have less #1s than almost any team, and no QBs worth an order of 7-11 nachos.

San Diego will need a QB in a deal for Rivers, I think. Especially if they can get one in a deal that has a #1 this year.

If they could send Rivers and their #1 to Philly, they could get Bradford an d Philly could package Rivers to get to #2 this year, since they seem to be so obsessed with Mariota.

I just think there's too much competition out there who have more to deal than we do.
    We don't have the fire power. Unless it's picks and a player. Then in a separate deal they parlay the picks to move up to get Mariota.

They need a DT/NT and a CB...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Something just doesn't sit with me and Phillip Rivers, he puts up great stats but he's never had a great team around him and/or he hasn't been able to win more in the post season. If I was going to pursue a QB I'd rather go after someone like Eli Manning as to me he defines clutch as unlike Phil, Eli wins more despite having worse stats.
    Not a huge Rivers fan but he's much better than anything on the roster and makes us an instant playoff contender.

14. Post thanked by:

better days (04-27-2015),BillsImpossible (04-26-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Loft turned out to be what he was in 90/1 because we had Kelly.
    The same Kelly who relied on a gimmicky (see fast pace 1 RB 3 WR) offense that eventually crumbled in Super Bowls when he had to play superior defenses. Sometimes I wonder if we had a more traditional offense would have we won at least one of the Super Bowls because as good as the offense was are best players in those days were Bruce and Thurman.
    Last edited by The Jokeman; 04-26-2015 at 12:40 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    Not a huge Rivers fan but he's much better than anything on the roster and makes us an instant playoff contender.
    Are we playing to just make the playoffs or win a Super Bowl? As quite frankly sure I'd be happy with the playoffs but with only Rivers having three years or so left in the tank I'm not sold him on a QB I want. As flash forward to 2019 and who's our QB then? or are RB then? or replacing an retiring Mario Williams/Kyle Williams?
    Last edited by The Jokeman; 04-26-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

LeSean McCoy has a huge cap hit, right?

Nope.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/lesean-mccoy/

McCoy has a $5.5 million cap hit in 2015. The Bills gave him a big signing bonus ($13.1 million) and totally restructured his former contract.

The Bills can do the same thing with Rivers. Big signing bonus with a workable cap hit.
    QB contracts versus RB contracts are a totally different matter in the NFL. If so then Jay Cutler would have been moved by Chicago this offseason.
    Last edited by The Jokeman; 04-26-2015 at 12:38 PM.

18. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (04-26-2015),YardRat (04-26-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Are we playing to just make the playoffs or win a Super Bowl? As quite frankly sure I'd be happy with the playoffs but with only Rivers having three years or so left in the tank I'm not sold him on a QB I want. As flash forward to 2019 and who's our QB then? or are RB then? or replacing an retiring Mario Williams/Kyle Williams?
    Ehhhrm ... What? So having a great QB for three years is nothing? We did not have one for even one year during the last 20 years. So we are waiting until we get one for ten years? If we get get Rivers there is plenty of time to draft a QB and let him learn on the bench. See A. Rodgers.

And Rivers is great. Two years ago he alone was the reason they were in the playoffs. Their D was a sieve. look at their numbers. I think they had about the 30th ranked D and ge got them in the playoffs.

20. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (04-26-2015),Meathead (04-26-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

San Diego would have to trade up to get Mariota. Why do such a thing when they don't have to?

The Bolts have the 17th pick, so if they want Mariota they would have to trade up to get him.

That doesn't make any sense for a franchise in San Diego's and soon the be LA's situation.

The Chargers have to trade Rivers now for the highest possible price in draft pick terms.

If they hold on to Rivers and he gets seriously injured in 2015 the organization will regret not trading him for two first round picks.

22. Post thanked by:

better days (04-27-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Oh my goodness. There is so much wrong with that post. Sorry. maybe we should have signed Tebow, because he is a proven winner. Even in the playoffs.
    And it is absolutely Rivers fault that their D can not stop a nosebleed. Especially two years ago, when the were about 30th ranked and rivers willed them in the playoffs.
    Eli Manning, I am at a loss of words. If Harrison wrestles the abll away from the guy with the helmet catch nobody talks about Eli.
    And yes I know he won another SB.

24. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

San Diego would have to trade up to get Mariota. Why do such a thing when they don't have to?

The Bolts have the 17th pick, so if they want Mariota they would have to trade up to get him.

That doesn't make any sense for a franchise in San Diego's and soon the be LA's situation.

The Chargers have to trade Rivers now for the highest possible price in draft pick terms..
    Not necessarily. If they can deal Rivers and get a QB like Bradford and keep their picks, they can use the picks to address other areas of need.

Who says they even want Mariota?

Personally, I think Bradford will end up being a better NFL QB than Mariota, and I think Mariota's best shot to succeed is with Chip Kelly.

But, either way, why deal with Buffalo? They don't get a QB back from Buffalo (at least not a real now).
    Last edited by WagonCircler; 04-26-2015 at 12:53 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,433 Times in 7,296 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Tyrod Taylor for Phillip Rivers. I heard it through the grapevine.

27. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Topas View Post
    Ehhhrm ... What? So having a great QB for three years is nothing? We did not have one for even one year during the last 20 years. So we are waiting until we get one for ten years? If we get get Rivers there is plenty of time to draft a QB and let him learn on the bench. See A. Rodgers.

And Rivers is great. Two years ago he alone was the reason they were in the playoffs. Their D was a sieve. look at their numbers. I think they had about the 30th ranked D and ge got them in the playoffs.
    The problem with getting Rivers is you have to cut about $10m off this roster to add him and/or extend him a contract he won't be here for or if he is it's with a team that won't be fighting for the playoffs with. So look over the Bills roster as it stands and give me what guys you'd cut that amount to $10m of cap space and you feel won't hurt this teams chance at making the playoffs this year. Also what high draft picks are we going to have to find this developmental QB you hypothetically think we'll get when odds are we have to trade our high picks to get Rivers to begin with. Talk about a dog chasing it's tail situation.
    Last edited by The Jokeman; 04-26-2015 at 01:03 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

30. Post thanked by:

YardRat (04-26-2015)