Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Rivers

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Riv

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    The "rambling" about Rivers' personal life is in response to the notion that Rivers would not want to play here. I don't see that as a given at all.

I also don't believe for a second that this scenario would actually happen. You don't just give up a Phillip Rivers without a serious backup plan at QB. A trade with Buffalo wouldn't get the Chargers any type of solution at QB, while trades with other teams could.
    Unless it becomes an NHL trade and the chargers need more picks in this draft to package to give to another team to move up in round 1.

For example, the titans might want more right now in rounds 2 and 3, which buffalo can provide as well as the chargers 2016 picks.

To save the 2016 picks, the chargers give us their 1st this year. we send a boat load of picks for rivers and the 1st pick, the chargers swap with a team in full rebuild and give up those picks and still keep some themselves.

unlikely...but perhaps an option.

as for the thread as a whole, i think its a fantasy scenario and i don't trust these "exclusive source" posts from people who don't routinely have sources.

rivers was always best with a good running game and a great TE. The bills could give that to him again.

But on the other hand, i hate bolo ties....

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Riv

Quote Originally Posted by X-Era View Post
    Are you saying that Rivers won't be traded at all? If the rumors are true that he doesn't want toplay in LA I could see the Chargers respecting his wishes.
    I don't think he'll be traded this year, no. I think he'll be shopped, but not traded. I don't think there are any teams with the resources to trade for him who either need him or would be acceptable as a place where Rivers would feel comfortable re-signing, which would likely be a part of any deal.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't think he'll be traded this year, no. I think he'll be shopped, but not traded. I don't think there are any teams with the resources to trade for him who either need him or would be acceptable as a place where Rivers would feel comfortable re-signing, which would likely be a part of any deal.
    A new contract would absolutely be a part of any trade of Rivers.

No team is going to give up anything for Rivers unless they are assured they can keep him long term.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Not necessarily. If they can deal Rivers and get a QB like Bradford and keep their picks, they can use the picks to address other areas of need.

Who says they even want Mariota?

Personally, I think Bradford will end up being a better NFL QB than Mariota, and I think Mariota's best shot to succeed is with Chip Kelly.

But, either way, why deal with Buffalo? They don't get a QB back from Buffalo (at least not a real now).
    You do realize Bradford can't stay healthy right?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,697 Times in 7,757 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The idea that Rivers would want to leave San Diego for Buffalo is silly. Buffalo sucks in just about every way, especially in weather. San Diego has got one of the best climates in the world, bar none. The Catholic angle is lame. There are Catholic Churches and Catholics all over the world. Living as a devote Catholic family does not need moving where there are more Catholics. This shows a stunning lack of understanding of religious people....it's an insult to anyone who is devoted to their religion.

In any event, the Bills have nothing to give San Diego, and the Chargers would be stupid beyond measure to trade Rivers without another QB in the wings. I don't think the Chargers will trade Rivers to anyone, much less Buffalo.

I just don't see this being even close to reality. Keep on dreaming.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    A new contract would absolutely be a part of any trade of Rivers.

No team is going to give up anything for Rivers unless they are assured they can keep him long term.
    I think that's the big hangup, honestly. Working a trade for a face-of-the-franchise QB is hard enough, but doing so while simultaneously trying to negotiate a long term extension with him is that much harder. The Chargers may have to accept conditional picks or roll the dice on keeping him. They do have the franchise tag available for 2016.

Also, I don't know that the move to Los Angeles is that imminent. The Carson stadium site was only recently approved by the city, do they even have funding in place? It all seems rather hazy to be making franchise altering deals over.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

7. Post thanked by:

better days (04-28-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    The idea that Rivers would want to leave San Diego for Buffalo is silly. Buffalo sucks in just about every way, especially in weather. San Diego has got one of the best climates in the world, bar none. The Catholic angle is lame. There are Catholic Churches and Catholics all over the world. Living as a devote Catholic family does not need moving where there are more Catholics. This shows a stunning lack of understanding of religious people....it's an insult to anyone who is devoted to their religion.

In any event, the Bills have nothing to give San Diego, and the Chargers would be stupid beyond measure to trade Rivers without another QB in the wings. I don't think the Chargers will trade Rivers to anyone, much less Buffalo.

I am dubious about the rumor and it is true the weather is difficult in Buffalo.
    The rest of your rant is not very credible. Modern people tend to think of religion as a privatized, individual affair.
    Catholicism starts from pre-modern presuppositions and it is very much a communal experience.
    I live in the South and am Catholic. There's a clear difference between a city like Buffalo which has a strong Catholic heritage
    and the typical experience of Catholicism in the South which is dominated by non-denominational evangelicalism and Southern Baptists and the like.
    You can be Catholic anywhere, but to say it's immaterial where one lives is actually stunningly obtuse.

Aside from all that, Buffalo offers much in terms of price of housing, ethnic communities, great food, good doctors, schools, and culture.
    The urban area has a lot of nineteenth century architecture that more progressive cities pulled down.
    It's a nice place to live. Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas and many other athletes settled after their careers were over.

9. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (04-27-2015),better days (04-27-2015),BillsImpossible (04-27-2015),justasportsfan (04-27-2015),Topas (04-28-2015),WagonCircler (04-27-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I am dubious about the rumor and it is true the weather is difficult in Buffalo.
    The rest of your rant is not very credible. Modern people tend to think of religion as a privatized, individual affair.
    Catholicism starts from pre-modern presuppositions and it is very much a communal experience.
    I live in the South and am Catholic. There's a clear difference between a city like Buffalo which has a strong Catholic heritage
    and the typical experience of Catholicism in the South which is dominated by non-denominational evangelicalism and Southern Baptists and the like.
    You can be Catholic anywhere, but to say it's immaterial where one lives is actually stunningly obtuse.

Aside from all that, Buffalo offers much in terms of price of housing, ethnic communities, great food, good doctors, schools, and culture.
    The urban area has a lot of nineteenth century architecture that more progressive cities pulled down.
    It's a nice place to live. Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas and many other athletes settled after their careers were over.
    I sat in the same pew as Rivers many times at St. Michael's in Raleigh, and you are exactly right. Catholics are an extreme minority in the South.

The important thing to remember though, is we're talking about maybe 3 years, if he were to be traded here. That's three Decembers, which are not much different weather-wise than anywhere else. It's January through March that are absolute hell.

I could see him moving his family to NC or Alabama or wherever, and making his living for 3 football seasons.

Any suggestion otherwise from an idiot like notacon is simple trolling.
    Last edited by WagonCircler; 04-27-2015 at 01:05 PM.

11. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (04-27-2015),better days (04-27-2015),Dr. Who (04-27-2015),Mace (04-27-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You suck.

13. Post thanked by:

TacklingDummy (04-27-2015),WagonCircler (04-27-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,943 Times in 3,495 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So why is SD looking to deal him? Is it that they can't/don't want to extend him? He's still a good player.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    So why is SD looking to deal him? Is it that they can't/don't want to extend him? He's still a good player.
    Getting value for him before they move to LA, where Rivers won't go (but he will go to Buffalo!!). Again, get me a link here or send it to fantasyland. The voices in my head are more believable.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,943 Times in 3,495 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    Getting value for him before they move to LA, where Rivers won't go (but he will go to Buffalo!!). Again, get me a link here or send it to fantasyland. The voices in my head are more believable.
    Hmm...a move to LA means a new stadium right? Won't that take years? Confused

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    Nobody sent your fantasy threads to never never land when you posted about the rumors from your "sources." Calm down meow

18. Post thanked by:

kscdogbillsfan1221 (04-27-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If Rivers wannts to come to a nice Catholic diocese just have him dial O for O' Malley. He will get him in the right pew. In all honesty if he is that concerned about his family, I can't think of a better place than western N.Y. to raise them. It is most likely taxes and politics rather than the weather that would deter him.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

No doubt, at least a couple of years.

But Rivers contract ends at the end of this season, & he does to want to sign a new contact with the Chargers unless he knows they will not move to LA while he is under contract to them.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    You do realize Bradford can't stay healthy right?
    Hahahahah. This, from EJ biggest apologist.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I imagine they would spruce up the LA Coliseum for a year or so. The new stadium funding was approved this week.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,697 Times in 7,757 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post

Well, I grew up in Buffalo, as a Catholic. All the trappings...alter boy, father in Knights of Columbus, mother president of the PTA in the Parish school, Catholic High School. I disagree with you and I don't think that you are very credible.

Bringing religion into a NFL QB's career aspirations, I think, is ridiculous. The idea that Buffalo is a desirable place (instead of the TEAM being a desirable organization) is absurd.

Yes, I am a Buffalo basher and I have TONS of credibility because I have broken the chain of Buffalo Rationalization Syndrome that infects so many people stuck in that dismal city. Yes, Buffalo offers "ethnic communities, great food, good doctors, schools, and culture". So do MANY, MANY other cities in this great country and to say infer that Buffalo has some kind of advantage because of those facts is, again, absurd and ridiculous.. You should try and visit some, like I have. Yes, Buffalo offers lower "price of housing". So what??

Even bad NFL QB's or third stringers don't worry about housing prices. Philip Rivers certainly does not.

Yes, "Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas" decided to stay. I don't know about "many others"...I would say that there have been literally thousands and thousands of NFL players that were on this team over the years. Even if one assumes that there is only 20 new players a year (our of a roster of 50+), that means there has been 4,000 players in this city since our last Super Bowl...and that is a very conservative number....just because two stars decided to stay is a logical fallacy. So what? I bet the number of players that have decided to stay are outnumbered by the ones that left by at least 300 to 1.

Yes, in the context of a NFL QB, who is established and considered one of the top 10 in the league, to say that his Catholic faith would draw him to Buffalo and help drive his only career change of teams is stunningly obtuse and ridiculous. Additionally, I think saying this of Catholics in general insults their faith and is stunningly ridiculous.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Hahahahah. This, from EJ biggest apologist.
    In the first place, all I have said about EJ is that 14 games is not enough time to judge him.

If that makes me an EJ apologist, so be it.

In the second place, it is a FACT Bradford has yet to stay healthy in his career which is the reason the Rams traded him rather than give him a new contract.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well, I grew up in Buffalo, as a Catholic. All the trappings...alter boy, father in Knights of Columbus, mother president of the PTA in the Parish school, Catholic High School. I disagree with you and I don't think that you are very credible.

Bringing religion into a NFL QB's career aspirations, I think, is ridiculous. The idea that Buffalo is a desirable place (instead of the TEAM being a desirable organization) is absurd.

Yes, I am a Buffalo basher and I have TONS of credibility because I have broken the chain of Buffalo Rationalization Syndrome that infects so many people stuck in that dismal city. Yes, Buffalo offers "ethnic communities, great food, good doctors, schools, and culture". So do MANY, MANY other cities in this great country and to say infer that Buffalo has some kind of advantage because of those facts is, again, absurd and ridiculous.. You should try and visit some, like I have. Yes, Buffalo offers lower "price of housing". So what??

Even bad NFL QB's or third stringers don't worry about housing prices. Philip Rivers certainly does not.

Yes, "Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas" decided to stay. I don't know about "many others"...I would say that there have been literally thousands and thousands of NFL players that were on this team over the years. Even if one assumes that there is only 20 new players a year (our of a roster of 50+), that means there has been 4,000 players in this city since our last Super Bowl...and that is a very conservative number....just because two stars decided to stay is a logical fallacy. So what? I bet the number of players that have decided to stay are outnumbered by the ones that left by at least 300 to 1.

Yes, in the context of a NFL QB, who is established and considered one of the top 10 in the league, to say that his Catholic faith would draw him to Buffalo and help drive his only career change of teams is stunningly obtuse and ridiculous. Additionally, I think saying this of Catholics in general insults their faith and is stunningly ridiculous.
    I think you are blinded by hate.
    Don't know what happened in your past to make you so angry and unkind.
    Best of luck to you. I know that life is difficult.

26. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (04-28-2015)