Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Rivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IlluminatusUIUC
    • Sep 2012

Re: Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Riv

Originally posted by better days View Post
    A new contract would absolutely be a part of any trade of Rivers.

No team is going to give up anything for Rivers unless they are assured they can keep him long term.
    I think that's the big hangup, honestly. Working a trade for a face-of-the-franchise QB is hard enough, but doing so while simultaneously trying to negotiate a long term extension with him is that much harder. The Chargers may have to accept conditional picks or roll the dice on keeping him. They do have the franchise tag available for 2016.

Also, I don't know that the move to Los Angeles is that imminent. The Carson stadium site was only recently approved by the city, do they even have funding in place? It all seems rather hazy to be making franchise altering deals over.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Dr. Who
      • Jul 2002

Re: Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Riv

Originally posted by notacon View Post
      The idea that Rivers would want to leave San Diego for Buffalo is silly. Buffalo sucks in just about every way, especially in weather. San Diego has got one of the best climates in the world, bar none. The Catholic angle is lame. There are Catholic Churches and Catholics all over the world. Living as a devote Catholic family does not need moving where there are more Catholics. This shows a stunning lack of understanding of religious people....it's an insult to anyone who is devoted to their religion.

In any event, the Bills have nothing to give San Diego, and the Chargers would be stupid beyond measure to trade Rivers without another QB in the wings. I don't think the Chargers will trade Rivers to anyone, much less Buffalo.

I just don't see this being even close to reality. Keep on dreaming.
      I am dubious about the rumor and it is true the weather is difficult in Buffalo.
      The rest of your rant is not very credible. Modern people tend to think of religion as a privatized, individual affair.
      Catholicism starts from pre-modern presuppositions and it is very much a communal experience.
      I live in the South and am Catholic. There's a clear difference between a city like Buffalo which has a strong Catholic heritage
      and the typical experience of Catholicism in the South which is dominated by non-denominational evangelicalism and Southern Baptists and the like.
      You can be Catholic anywhere, but to say it's immaterial where one lives is actually stunningly obtuse.

Aside from all that, Buffalo offers much in terms of price of housing, ethnic communities, great food, good doctors, schools, and culture.
      The urban area has a lot of nineteenth century architecture that more progressive cities pulled down.
      It's a nice place to live. Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas and many other athletes settled after their careers were over.

Comment

• WagonCircler
        Escaped Convict
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr. Who View Post
        I am dubious about the rumor and it is true the weather is difficult in Buffalo.
        The rest of your rant is not very credible. Modern people tend to think of religion as a privatized, individual affair.
        Catholicism starts from pre-modern presuppositions and it is very much a communal experience.
        I live in the South and am Catholic. There's a clear difference between a city like Buffalo which has a strong Catholic heritage
        and the typical experience of Catholicism in the South which is dominated by non-denominational evangelicalism and Southern Baptists and the like.
        You can be Catholic anywhere, but to say it's immaterial where one lives is actually stunningly obtuse.

Aside from all that, Buffalo offers much in terms of price of housing, ethnic communities, great food, good doctors, schools, and culture.
        The urban area has a lot of nineteenth century architecture that more progressive cities pulled down.
        It's a nice place to live. Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas and many other athletes settled after their careers were over.
        I sat in the same pew as Rivers many times at St. Michael's in Raleigh, and you are exactly right. Catholics are an extreme minority in the South.

The important thing to remember though, is we're talking about maybe 3 years, if he were to be traded here. That's three Decembers, which are not much different weather-wise than anywhere else. It's January through March that are absolute hell.

I could see him moving his family to NC or Alabama or wherever, and making his living for 3 football seasons.

Any suggestion otherwise from an idiot like notacon is simple trolling.
        Last edited by WagonCircler; 04-27-2015, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
          Legendary Zoner
          • May 2009

The idea that Rivers would want to leave San Diego for Buffalo is silly. Buffalo sucks in just about every way, especially in weather. San Diego has got one of the best climates in the world, bar none. The Catholic angle is lame. There are Catholic Churches and Catholics all over the world. Living as a devote Catholic family does not need moving where there are more Catholics. This shows a stunning lack of understanding of religious people....it's an insult to anyone who is devoted to their religion.

In any event, the Bills have nothing to give San Diego, and the Chargers would be stupid beyond measure to trade Rivers without another QB in the wings. I don't think the Chargers will trade Rivers to anyone, much less Buffalo.

I just don't see this being even close to reality. Keep on dreaming.
          You suck.

Comment

• Bill Cody
            • Sep 2004

So why is SD looking to deal him? Is it that they can't/don't want to extend him? He's still a good player.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
              Skoobasaurus-Rex
              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
              So why is SD looking to deal him? Is it that they can't/don't want to extend him? He's still a good player.
              Getting value for him before they move to LA, where Rivers won't go (but he will go to Buffalo!!). Again, get me a link here or send it to fantasyland. The voices in my head are more believable.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                Getting value for him before they move to LA, where Rivers won't go (but he will go to Buffalo!!). Again, get me a link here or send it to fantasyland. The voices in my head are more believable.
                Hmm...a move to LA means a new stadium right? Won't that take years? Confused

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                  Nobody sent your fantasy threads to never never land when you posted about the rumors from your "sources." Calm down meow

Comment

• Zoneblitser
                    • Apr 2015

If Rivers wannts to come to a nice Catholic diocese just have him dial O for O' Malley. He will get him in the right pew. In all honesty if he is that concerned about his family, I can't think of a better place than western N.Y. to raise them. It is most likely taxes and politics rather than the weather that would deter him.

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

No doubt, at least a couple of years.

But Rivers contract ends at the end of this season, & he does to want to sign a new contact with the Chargers unless he knows they will not move to LA while he is under contract to them.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                        Escaped Convict
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post
                        You do realize Bradford can't stay healthy right?
                        Hahahahah. This, from EJ biggest apologist.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                          Escaped Convict
                          • Jul 2002

I imagine they would spruce up the LA Coliseum for a year or so. The new stadium funding was approved this week.

Comment

• notacon
                            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Dr. Who View Post

Well, I grew up in Buffalo, as a Catholic. All the trappings...alter boy, father in Knights of Columbus, mother president of the PTA in the Parish school, Catholic High School. I disagree with you and I don't think that you are very credible.

Bringing religion into a NFL QB's career aspirations, I think, is ridiculous. The idea that Buffalo is a desirable place (instead of the TEAM being a desirable organization) is absurd.

Yes, I am a Buffalo basher and I have TONS of credibility because I have broken the chain of Buffalo Rationalization Syndrome that infects so many people stuck in that dismal city. Yes, Buffalo offers "ethnic communities, great food, good doctors, schools, and culture". So do MANY, MANY other cities in this great country and to say infer that Buffalo has some kind of advantage because of those facts is, again, absurd and ridiculous.. You should try and visit some, like I have. Yes, Buffalo offers lower "price of housing". So what??

Even bad NFL QB's or third stringers don't worry about housing prices. Philip Rivers certainly does not.

Yes, "Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas" decided to stay. I don't know about "many others"...I would say that there have been literally thousands and thousands of NFL players that were on this team over the years. Even if one assumes that there is only 20 new players a year (our of a roster of 50+), that means there has been 4,000 players in this city since our last Super Bowl...and that is a very conservative number....just because two stars decided to stay is a logical fallacy. So what? I bet the number of players that have decided to stay are outnumbered by the ones that left by at least 300 to 1.

Yes, in the context of a NFL QB, who is established and considered one of the top 10 in the league, to say that his Catholic faith would draw him to Buffalo and help drive his only career change of teams is stunningly obtuse and ridiculous. Additionally, I think saying this of Catholics in general insults their faith and is stunningly ridiculous.

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                              Hahahahah. This, from EJ biggest apologist.
                              In the first place, all I have said about EJ is that 14 games is not enough time to judge him.

If that makes me an EJ apologist, so be it.

In the second place, it is a FACT Bradford has yet to stay healthy in his career which is the reason the Rams traded him rather than give him a new contract.

Comment

• Dr. Who
                                • Jul 2002

Well, I grew up in Buffalo, as a Catholic. All the trappings...alter boy, father in Knights of Columbus, mother president of the PTA in the Parish school, Catholic High School. I disagree with you and I don't think that you are very credible.

Bringing religion into a NFL QB's career aspirations, I think, is ridiculous. The idea that Buffalo is a desirable place (instead of the TEAM being a desirable organization) is absurd.

Yes, I am a Buffalo basher and I have TONS of credibility because I have broken the chain of Buffalo Rationalization Syndrome that infects so many people stuck in that dismal city. Yes, Buffalo offers "ethnic communities, great food, good doctors, schools, and culture". So do MANY, MANY other cities in this great country and to say infer that Buffalo has some kind of advantage because of those facts is, again, absurd and ridiculous.. You should try and visit some, like I have. Yes, Buffalo offers lower "price of housing". So what??

Even bad NFL QB's or third stringers don't worry about housing prices. Philip Rivers certainly does not.

Yes, "Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas" decided to stay. I don't know about "many others"...I would say that there have been literally thousands and thousands of NFL players that were on this team over the years. Even if one assumes that there is only 20 new players a year (our of a roster of 50+), that means there has been 4,000 players in this city since our last Super Bowl...and that is a very conservative number....just because two stars decided to stay is a logical fallacy. So what? I bet the number of players that have decided to stay are outnumbered by the ones that left by at least 300 to 1.

Yes, in the context of a NFL QB, who is established and considered one of the top 10 in the league, to say that his Catholic faith would draw him to Buffalo and help drive his only career change of teams is stunningly obtuse and ridiculous. Additionally, I think saying this of Catholics in general insults their faith and is stunningly ridiculous.
                                I think you are blinded by hate.
                                Don't know what happened in your past to make you so angry and unkind.
                                Best of luck to you. I know that life is difficult.

Comment

Working...
                                X