Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Rivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Jokeman
    • Dec 2003

Re: Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Riv

Whaley eluded it too earlier we don't have enough ammo to trade for a legitimate franchise QB and/or a guy like Rivers. Toss in he said next year he's going to focus on re-signing our own UFAs. Also the comment that this season is EJ's make it or break it year I don't see us adding anymore QBs except perhaps a late round flier or UFA to add as a camp arm and/or a guy to push Taylor/Tuel. I think if EJ wins the starting job and can manage us to the playoffs it's his team going forward. If he doesn't then we're going to draft someone in the 1st Round of the 2016 NFL draft.

Comment

• Zoneblitser
      • Apr 2015

Re: Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Riv

Whaley is going to find himself on the outside looking in. His allegiance to EJ will be his down fall. How the hell can you want to hitch your wagon to a guy that has so many if's about his game and refuse to attempt a shot at a player the caliber of Rivers.

Comment

• WagonCircler
        Escaped Convict
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Zoneblitser View Post
        This team is poised to contend for playoffs as is. This years draft just might get us two starters. Imho
        I think trading enough picks to move up far enough to get Mariota and then trade that pick to the Chargers for Rivers is a good deal. We can use the money set aside to sign the new draftees on Rivers contract. We won't have to trade Marcell this year.
        Rivers just doesn't get us to the playoffs he will make us Superbowl contenders.
        No quantity of 2s and 3s and future 1s is going to get us the Mariota pick. There are too many teams with 1s, including San Diego and Philly, who can out bid us.

Comment

• The Jokeman
          • Dec 2003

Whaley is going to find himself on the outside looking in. His allegiance to EJ will be his down fall. How the hell can you want to hitch your wagon to a guy that has so many if's about his game and refuse to attempt a shot at a player the caliber of Rivers.
          Going after Rivers is a bet against time as if you go all in with Rivers as your QB then you are telling this team/fanbase that we have a two or three year window. At least with EJ that window might be open a far longer amount of time. Toss in Whaley gets that by going with the young QB he's not killing his cap at the position and can build a better roster of players outside of QB.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Considering the number of QB's that have been brought in since EJ was drafted, I don't think it's an accurate perception that Whaley has 'hitched his wagon' to him.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• The Jokeman
              • Dec 2003

This team is poised to contend for playoffs as is. This years draft just might get us two starters. Imho
              I think trading enough picks to move up far enough to get Mariota and then trade that pick to the Chargers for Rivers is a good deal. We can use the money set aside to sign the new draftees on Rivers contract. We won't have to trade Marcell this year.
              Rivers just doesn't get us to the playoffs he will make us Superbowl contenders.
              Because how many Super Bowls has Rivers been in with San Diego? Mark Sanchez has as many playoff wins as Rivers does for his career in 4.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                Escaped Convict
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                Considering the number of QB's that have been brought in since EJ was drafted, I don't think it's an accurate perception that Whaley has 'hitched his wagon' to him.
                Really? He brought Orton in after training camp was over and only after Marrone threatened to shank him.

He didn't bother to draft a QB last year, and he traded away any hope of landing a starter in this year's draft.

QBs brought in this year are likely Rex's call.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                  Escaped Convict
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                  Going after Rivers is a bet against time as if you go all in with Rivers as your QB then you are telling this team/fanbase that we have a two or three year window. At least with EJ that window might be open a far longer amount of time. Toss in Whaley gets that by going with the young QB he's not killing his cap at the position and can build a better roster of players outside of QB.
                  You're basically calling Rivers a has-been.

EJ is a never-has-been, never-will-be.

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                    I looked this up just because it was an interesting comment that piqued my curiosity, but New Orleans, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Denver, St Louis and Chicago allegedly are 'top ten' Catholic and have NFL teams.

https://www.osv.com/osvnewsweekly/by...aspx?ref=top10
                    Well, lets look at these Cities in Relation to Rivers:

1) New Orleans: Has Brees, a trade possibility I guess.

2) LA: Rivers does not want to play in LA

3) Pittsburgh: Has Big Ben so no possibility of Rivers going there.

4) Denver: Has Manning this year at least, so not this year, maybe Rivers would sign there as a FA after Manning retires next year.

5) St Louis: Moving to LA, so NO.

6) Chicago: Stuck with Cutler & his STUPID contract. No way the Chargers trade for that.

I don't know what Buffalo has to offer the Chargers, but I would give them their pick of any QB on the team & Dareus OR two first rnd picks in the next two drafts, their choice.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                      You're basically calling Rivers a has-been.

EJ is a never-has-been, never-will-be.
                      Let EJ prove that statement this season and I will be amongst those willing to let him go.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by better days View Post

I don't know what Buffalo has to offer the Chargers, but I would give them their pick of any QB on the team & Dareus OR two first rnd picks in the next two drafts, their choice.
                        Dareus is arguably our best defensive player. We lose him we lose the defense.I'm not a favor of trading multiple picks either as this team isn't a "Bledsoe" away from making the playoffs.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                          • Mar 2013

No quantity of 2s and 3s and future 1s is going to get us the Mariota pick. There are too many teams with 1s, including San Diego and Philly, who can out bid us.
                          I really don't think any team is going to trade up to get Mariota. He never took a snap under center in college and has to learn how to play in an NFL offense.

Team's search for a possible successor to Philip Rivers will include visits with players from spread offenses.

The Chargers are looking at Petty, Grayson, and Mariota. If anything, the Chargers are looking to add future draft picks instead of giving them up for a quarterback that is going to need time to develop.

The 2016 quarterback draft class looks to be much deeper than this year with players like Connor Cook, Cardale Jones, and Dak Prescott to name a few.

Even if the Bills have a 1st round pick in 2016, it's not going to be high enough to draft one of the best QB's.

The Bills are going to be better than last year, and will more than likely draft anywhere from pick 20 on up provided they finish 10-6 or better.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                            Escaped Convict
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
                            I really don't think any team is going to trade up to get Mariota. He never took a snap under center in college and has to learn how to play in an NFL offense.

Team's search for a possible successor to Philip Rivers will include visits with players from spread offenses.

The Chargers are looking at Petty, Grayson, and Mariota. If anything, the Chargers are looking to add future draft picks instead of giving them up for a quarterback that is going to need time to develop.

The 2016 quarterback draft class looks to be much deeper than this year with players like Connor Cook, Cardale Jones, and Dak Prescott to name a few.

Even if the Bills have a 1st round pick in 2016, it's not going to be high enough to draft one of the best QB's.

The Bills are going to be better than last year, and will more than likely draft anywhere from pick 20 on up provided they finish 10-6 or better.
                            OK, but in your earlier scenario, you had the Bills making an implausible/impossible deal in which the Bills acquired the Mariota pick and dealt him to the Chargers, no?

If The Chargers want Mariota, why involve Buffalo at all?

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                              • Mar 2013

OK, but in your earlier scenario, you had the Bills making an implausible/impossible deal in which the Bills acquired the Mariota pick and dealt him to the Chargers, no?

If The Chargers want Mariota, why involve Buffalo at all?
                              That wasn't me.

Comment

• paladin warrior
                                All-Pro Zoner
                                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Raptor View Post
                                If I'm the Chargers I want both the 2 and 3 this year and the Bills 1 and 2 next year

if they want players the Bills have to part with Dareus and likely some picks
                                He is good QB. Thank and no Thank. Charger want to trade... Charger should try trade to AZ phoenix
                                Last edited by paladin warrior; 04-26-2015, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X