Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Rivers

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Riv

I don't know why he would have to uproot his family at all if the team moved to Los Angeles. The proposed site in Carson is less than 100 miles from his house. If the team HQ was in Orange County (which seems likely), he could live nearby and it would easily be close enough for him to head home on off days. It's not like most NFL players see their family all that frequently during the season anyway.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Riv

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Even if the stars lined up, there's no chance whatever Rivers would want to end his career in Buffalo. Los Angeles makes him cranky, which makes him a one year rental for any team where he doesn't want to be. And a hugely expensive one we can't afford anyway.
    What's your reason for thinking he wouldn't want to play for a team that has the most passionate fans in the league?

3. Post thanked by:

better days (04-26-2015),BillsImpossible (04-26-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    No, from what he says it's about his kids and the atmosphere where they are living. He doesn't so much want to win a super bowl as have a happy family in a nice place because he's already loaded with cash. Buffalo does not shoot to the top of lists like that. Rivers has no driving passion for championships so much as he does for happy family, or he'd not care if they moved to supposedly football starved LA where he might have his cake and eat it too.

Sweet southern cities can give him the same money with better climate and happier atmosphere and he'd have a gentle pleasing commute to the stadium.
    Did he tell you this himself? Do you have proof of this? I know he cares very much about his family but have never heard such things.
    Last edited by BertSquirtgum; 04-26-2015 at 12:47 AM.

5. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (04-26-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,561 Times in 17,445 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    I'll tell you, Mace, as far fetched as this story sounds, there's a wildcard that might actually make Buffalo appealing to Rivers.

Strange as this sounds, it's possible that Buffalo is the most Catholic city in America. Do not underestimate the value of that in Rivers' eyes.

His mother's sister is a client of mine, and a friend. There's a lot here that he would value that others might not. He's a very unusual guy, and this is a great place to raise kids (provided you have money).

He has family and business interests in Raleigh. Carolina has a young QB, so it's an unlikely landing spot. Washington might work for him, but if he hates LA, he would detest DC. Same for NYC (well, New Jersey) Cleveland might be a possibility, if the Bradford deal blows up with Philly. Baltimore? Doubtful.

I know it's a longshot, and it pisses me off to no end that Whaley fuct us with the Watkins deal, but we can dream, right? It's what we do here.
    I looked this up just because it was an interesting comment that piqued my curiosity, but New Orleans, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Denver, St Louis and Chicago allegedly are 'top ten' Catholic and have NFL teams.

https://www.osv.com/osvnewsweekly/by...aspx?ref=top10
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

7. Post thanked by:

better days (04-26-2015),swiper (04-26-2015),WagonCircler (04-26-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

No way the Chargers are giving away Rivers without getting a shot at Mariotta. They are going to play this year with no starting QB?

For fun, and not to entertain this ridiculous thread, maybe you could do a three way trade that sends Dareus to The Titans, Mariotta to Sam Diego and Rivers here.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Pull the trigger Whaley!

Thanks
    Thanked 24,464 Times in 14,174 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    If you trade for a guy like rivers, you tailor the offense to him and not the other way around.

That said, I don't see this happening. Why wouldSan Diego unload him without a qb coming back?
    Some of the projections have Mariota going anywhere from 2-6. San Diego would only need to move up 11 picks (assuming he falls to #6) and if they gave their #17 pick and their 2016 1st they could get up to take Mariota. I would imagine any trade for Rivers that involved us would involve our 2016 1st going to SD at a minimum. That just me speculating at how it would work.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I looked this up just because it was an interesting comment that piqued my curiosity, but New Orleans, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Denver, St Louis and Chicago allegedly are 'top ten' Catholic and have NFL teams.

Interestingly, that article doesn't point out the portion of the population of each city which identifies as Catholic. I would have to think that Buffalo (well, WNY anyway) would rank at least top 5 in that category.

12. Post thanked by:

better days (04-26-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Interestingly, that article doesn't point out the portion of the population of each city which identifies as Catholic.

According to this chart from citydata.com, 74% of WNYers are affiliated with a religious congregation, and of those, 77% identify as Catholic. That's a pretty overwhelming number which I doubt is matched by any of the other cities on that "Top Ten" list.

http://www.city-data.com/county/reli...County-NY.html
    Last edited by WagonCircler; 04-26-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This team is poised to contend for playoffs as is. This years draft just might get us two starters. Imho
    I think trading enough picks to move up far enough to get Mariota and then trade that pick to the Chargers for Rivers is a good deal. We can use the money set aside to sign the new draftees on Rivers contract. We won't have to trade Marcell this year.
    Rivers just doesn't get us to the playoffs he will make us Superbowl contenders.
    Last edited by Zoneblitser; 04-26-2015 at 09:03 AM.

15. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (04-26-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Whaley eluded it too earlier we don't have enough ammo to trade for a legitimate franchise QB and/or a guy like Rivers. Toss in he said next year he's going to focus on re-signing our own UFAs. Also the comment that this season is EJ's make it or break it year I don't see us adding anymore QBs except perhaps a late round flier or UFA to add as a camp arm and/or a guy to push Taylor/Tuel. I think if EJ wins the starting job and can manage us to the playoffs it's his team going forward. If he doesn't then we're going to draft someone in the 1st Round of the 2016 NFL draft.

17. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (04-26-2015),trapezeus (04-26-2015),YardRat (04-26-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Whaley is going to find himself on the outside looking in. His allegiance to EJ will be his down fall. How the hell can you want to hitch your wagon to a guy that has so many if's about his game and refuse to attempt a shot at a player the caliber of Rivers.

19. Post thanked by:

sudzy (04-26-2015),WagonCircler (04-26-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Zoneblitser View Post
    This team is poised to contend for playoffs as is. This years draft just might get us two starters. Imho
    I think trading enough picks to move up far enough to get Mariota and then trade that pick to the Chargers for Rivers is a good deal. We can use the money set aside to sign the new draftees on Rivers contract. We won't have to trade Marcell this year.
    Rivers just doesn't get us to the playoffs he will make us Superbowl contenders.
    No quantity of 2s and 3s and future 1s is going to get us the Mariota pick. There are too many teams with 1s, including San Diego and Philly, who can out bid us.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Whaley is going to find himself on the outside looking in. His allegiance to EJ will be his down fall. How the hell can you want to hitch your wagon to a guy that has so many if's about his game and refuse to attempt a shot at a player the caliber of Rivers.
    Going after Rivers is a bet against time as if you go all in with Rivers as your QB then you are telling this team/fanbase that we have a two or three year window. At least with EJ that window might be open a far longer amount of time. Toss in Whaley gets that by going with the young QB he's not killing his cap at the position and can build a better roster of players outside of QB.

22. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (04-26-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,561 Times in 17,445 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Considering the number of QB's that have been brought in since EJ was drafted, I don't think it's an accurate perception that Whaley has 'hitched his wagon' to him.

24. Post thanked by:

better days (04-26-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Because how many Super Bowls has Rivers been in with San Diego? Mark Sanchez has as many playoff wins as Rivers does for his career in 4.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Considering the number of QB's that have been brought in since EJ was drafted, I don't think it's an accurate perception that Whaley has 'hitched his wagon' to him.
    Really? He brought Orton in after training camp was over and only after Marrone threatened to shank him.

He didn't bother to draft a QB last year, and he traded away any hope of landing a starter in this year's draft.

QBs brought in this year are likely Rex's call.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    Going after Rivers is a bet against time as if you go all in with Rivers as your QB then you are telling this team/fanbase that we have a two or three year window. At least with EJ that window might be open a far longer amount of time. Toss in Whaley gets that by going with the young QB he's not killing his cap at the position and can build a better roster of players outside of QB.
    You're basically calling Rivers a has-been.

EJ is a never-has-been, never-will-be.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well, lets look at these Cities in Relation to Rivers:

1) New Orleans: Has Brees, a trade possibility I guess.

2) LA: Rivers does not want to play in LA

3) Pittsburgh: Has Big Ben so no possibility of Rivers going there.

4) Denver: Has Manning this year at least, so not this year, maybe Rivers would sign there as a FA after Manning retires next year.

5) St Louis: Moving to LA, so NO.

6) Chicago: Stuck with Cutler & his STUPID contract. No way the Chargers trade for that.

I don't know what Buffalo has to offer the Chargers, but I would give them their pick of any QB on the team & Dareus OR two first rnd picks in the next two drafts, their choice.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    You're basically calling Rivers a has-been.

EJ is a never-has-been, never-will-be.
    Let EJ prove that statement this season and I will be amongst those willing to let him go.

30. Post thanked by:

better days (04-26-2015)