Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Rivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topas
    German smartass
    • Feb 2014

Re: Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Riv

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
    Something just doesn't sit with me and Phillip Rivers, he puts up great stats but he's never had a great team around him and/or he hasn't been able to win more in the post season. If I was going to pursue a QB I'd rather go after someone like Eli Manning as to me he defines clutch as unlike Phil, Eli wins more despite having worse stats.
    Oh my goodness. There is so much wrong with that post. Sorry. maybe we should have signed Tebow, because he is a proven winner. Even in the playoffs.
    And it is absolutely Rivers fault that their D can not stop a nosebleed. Especially two years ago, when the were about 30th ranked and rivers willed them in the playoffs.
    Eli Manning, I am at a loss of words. If Harrison wrestles the abll away from the guy with the helmet catch nobody talks about Eli.
    And yes I know he won another SB.

Comment

• WagonCircler
      Escaped Convict
      • Jul 2002

Re: Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Riv

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
      San Diego would have to trade up to get Mariota. Why do such a thing when they don't have to?

The Bolts have the 17th pick, so if they want Mariota they would have to trade up to get him.

That doesn't make any sense for a franchise in San Diego's and soon the be LA's situation.

The Chargers have to trade Rivers now for the highest possible price in draft pick terms..
      Not necessarily. If they can deal Rivers and get a QB like Bradford and keep their picks, they can use the picks to address other areas of need.

Who says they even want Mariota?

Personally, I think Bradford will end up being a better NFL QB than Mariota, and I think Mariota's best shot to succeed is with Chip Kelly.

But, either way, why deal with Buffalo? They don't get a QB back from Buffalo (at least not a real now).
      Last edited by WagonCircler; 04-26-2015, 12:53 PM.

Comment

• Novacane
        • Jul 2002

Tyrod Taylor for Phillip Rivers. I heard it through the grapevine.

Comment

• The Jokeman
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Topas View Post
          Ehhhrm ... What? So having a great QB for three years is nothing? We did not have one for even one year during the last 20 years. So we are waiting until we get one for ten years? If we get get Rivers there is plenty of time to draft a QB and let him learn on the bench. See A. Rodgers.

And Rivers is great. Two years ago he alone was the reason they were in the playoffs. Their D was a sieve. look at their numbers. I think they had about the 30th ranked D and ge got them in the playoffs.
          The problem with getting Rivers is you have to cut about $10m off this roster to add him and/or extend him a contract he won't be here for or if he is it's with a team that won't be fighting for the playoffs with. So look over the Bills roster as it stands and give me what guys you'd cut that amount to $10m of cap space and you feel won't hurt this teams chance at making the playoffs this year. Also what high draft picks are we going to have to find this developmental QB you hypothetically think we'll get when odds are we have to trade our high picks to get Rivers to begin with. Talk about a dog chasing it's tail situation.
          Last edited by The Jokeman; 04-26-2015, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
            • Mar 2013

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

I feel a little dirty, but how can you not thank a Marvin Gaye reference?
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• The Jokeman
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                I feel a little dirty, but how can you not thank a Marvin Gaye reference?
                Because Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong wrote that brilliant song and maybe writers should get more credit for winning than QBs er singers should

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                  Because Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong wrote that brilliant song and maybe writers should get more credit for winning than QBs er singers should
                  love it! lol, you guys are awesome.

Comment

• Dr. Who
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                    I looked this up just because it was an interesting comment that piqued my curiosity, but New Orleans, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Denver, St Louis and Chicago allegedly are 'top ten' Catholic and have NFL teams.

https://www.osv.com/osvnewsweekly/by...aspx?ref=top10
                    I don't really know how one quantifies that sort of thing.
                    I mistrust quantifiable analysis for something more qualitative in nature.
                    No way LA or Denver is more Catholic than Buffalo.
                    An ethos is far more than simply the number of people in a diocese.

Comment

• Meathead
                      Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                      • Jul 2002

eli manning is the only guy in the nfl luckier than bill belicheater
                      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Meathead
                        Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                        • Jul 2002

id love to have rivers here but it would take so much that you would be resigning yourself to probably another decade of fail starting in three years

i guess id still do it
                        One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Dr. Who View Post
                          No way LA or Denver is more Catholic than Buffalo
                          They probably are, actually, but it's largely Hispanic catholics.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                            Skoobasaurus-Rex
                            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by BertSquirtgum View Post
                            The only way I see the Bills getting Rivers is by trading them Dareus. They're both looking for contracts after the season. It would be the only trade I see happening. I don't know if I would agree with that. Dareus is going to be getting a 100 million contract so instead of losing him the Bills might decide to do this.
                            There's an idea. Did we ever get a link or is it fantasyland ??
                            Last edited by Skooby; 04-26-2015, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

So. Has this rumor gotten anywhere ye?. Another rumor going around is that Merriman got caught with enhancement drugs crossing the border from Canada.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• feldspar
                                • Mar 2007

Doesn't necessarily mean anything even if it DID happen. If the Chargers are entertaining the idea of trading Rivers and called the Bills, I'm sure they also called all the other QB-needy teams. We would in no way be special in any of that, and it would only reflect on what the Chargers are thinking, not the Bills.

Comment

Working...
                                X