Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Rivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Saratoga Slim
    • Jul 2005

Re: Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Riv

One nice thing is that for the first time since forever, it's not laughable that a good QB might want to come to Buffalo. Play for Rex, hand off to Shady, and throw to Watkins/Harvin/Woods/Clay. It's now an attractive place to land.

Getting Rivers is almost like getting Manning or Brady from a brains perspective too. He's smart, like another coach, and would round out the Rex hiring even further. Combine him and Roman, with Rex running the defense, and this is absolutely a Super Bowl contender.
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Mace
      Haha...yeah you think so ?
      • Mar 2013

Re: Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Riv

Originally posted by BertSquirtgum View Post
      Did he tell you this himself? Do you have proof of this? I know he cares very much about his family but have never heard such things.
      Assuming you are serious and not having read through the rest of the thread to see if anyone else answered, the info is not real hard to find. I don't really see any reason I should look it up for you if you're that lazy.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
        • May 2009

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
        There's an idea. Did we ever get a link or is it fantasyland ??
        Why would I provide a link? All my post is, is theory. I don't want the Bills to trade away Dareus. Even if it is for Rivers.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
          • May 2009

Originally posted by Mace View Post
          Assuming you are serious and not having read through the rest of the thread to see if anyone else answered, the info is not real hard to find. I don't really see any reason I should look it up for you if you're that lazy.
          I read the whole thread from the beginning. Maybe you didn't? I was the third post or so in. I see people just rambling about Rivers personal life and not providing any facts.

Comment

• Mace
            Haha...yeah you think so ?
            • Mar 2013

I read the whole thread from the beginning. Maybe you didn't? I was the third post or so in. I see people just rambling about Rivers personal life and not providing any facts.
            It doesn't really matter, I think I used up all my offseason angst already and I'm just not really set to argue with anyone about anything with any passion anymore anyway. SI and the Chargers sb nation crew had the material. I'm falling back into apathetic so whatever.

Comment

• WagonCircler
              Escaped Convict
              • Jul 2002

The "rambling" about Rivers' personal life is in response to the notion that Rivers would not want to play here. I don't see that as a given at all.

I also don't believe for a second that this scenario would actually happen. You don't just give up a Phillip Rivers without a serious backup plan at QB. A trade with Buffalo wouldn't get the Chargers any type of solution at QB, while trades with other teams could.

Comment

• X-Era
                What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                The "rambling" about Rivers' personal life is in response to the notion that Rivers would not want to play here. I don't see that as a given at all.

I also don't believe for a second that this scenario would actually happen. You don't just give up a Phillip Rivers without a serious backup plan at QB. A trade with Buffalo wouldn't get the Chargers any type of solution at QB, while trades with other teams could.
                Are you saying that Rivers won't be traded at all? If the rumors are true that he doesn't want toplay in LA I could see the Chargers respecting his wishes.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

I have a hard time believing Rivers would be willing to either uproot his large family and move them off to anywhere (maybe a specific area where he would consider retiring to eventually is a possibility, but IMO that's not Buffalo) or go more than a season or two being away from the family for 2/3's of the year.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                    Unreachable Douche
                    • Jul 2002

Rivers for Dareus = no brainier.

Comment

• Night Train
                      Retired - On Several Levels
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
                      Rivers for Dareus = no brainier.
                      Oh, the irony
                      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• trapezeus
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Oct 2004

Unless it becomes an NHL trade and the chargers need more picks in this draft to package to give to another team to move up in round 1.

For example, the titans might want more right now in rounds 2 and 3, which buffalo can provide as well as the chargers 2016 picks.

To save the 2016 picks, the chargers give us their 1st this year. we send a boat load of picks for rivers and the 1st pick, the chargers swap with a team in full rebuild and give up those picks and still keep some themselves.

unlikely...but perhaps an option.

as for the thread as a whole, i think its a fantasy scenario and i don't trust these "exclusive source" posts from people who don't routinely have sources.

rivers was always best with a good running game and a great TE. The bills could give that to him again.

But on the other hand, i hate bolo ties....

Comment

• WagonCircler
                          Escaped Convict
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                          Are you saying that Rivers won't be traded at all? If the rumors are true that he doesn't want toplay in LA I could see the Chargers respecting his wishes.
                          I don't think he'll be traded this year, no. I think he'll be shopped, but not traded. I don't think there are any teams with the resources to trade for him who either need him or would be acceptable as a place where Rivers would feel comfortable re-signing, which would likely be a part of any deal.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

I don't think he'll be traded this year, no. I think he'll be shopped, but not traded. I don't think there are any teams with the resources to trade for him who either need him or would be acceptable as a place where Rivers would feel comfortable re-signing, which would likely be a part of any deal.
                            A new contract would absolutely be a part of any trade of Rivers.

No team is going to give up anything for Rivers unless they are assured they can keep him long term.

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Not necessarily. If they can deal Rivers and get a QB like Bradford and keep their picks, they can use the picks to address other areas of need.

Who says they even want Mariota?

Personally, I think Bradford will end up being a better NFL QB than Mariota, and I think Mariota's best shot to succeed is with Chip Kelly.

But, either way, why deal with Buffalo? They don't get a QB back from Buffalo (at least not a real now).
                              You do realize Bradford can't stay healthy right?

Comment

• notacon
                                • Aug 2012

The idea that Rivers would want to leave San Diego for Buffalo is silly. Buffalo sucks in just about every way, especially in weather. San Diego has got one of the best climates in the world, bar none. The Catholic angle is lame. There are Catholic Churches and Catholics all over the world. Living as a devote Catholic family does not need moving where there are more Catholics. This shows a stunning lack of understanding of religious people....it's an insult to anyone who is devoted to their religion.

In any event, the Bills have nothing to give San Diego, and the Chargers would be stupid beyond measure to trade Rivers without another QB in the wings. I don't think the Chargers will trade Rivers to anyone, much less Buffalo.

I just don't see this being even close to reality. Keep on dreaming.

Comment

Working...
                                X