Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Rivers

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Rivers

A friend of mine told me today that he heard it through the grapevine that the Bills recently got a phone call from San Diego.

He said, "Trade talks between the Titans and Chargers have fizzled and now San Diego is looking to trade Rivers to Buffalo. Lines of communication are open at OBD." That's not verbatim, but as close as I can remember. You get the gist of it.

I asked him who his sources were. They are legit, let's leave it at that. I have complete respect for my friend and his sources.

What would the Bills have to give up for Philip Rivers?

If Whaley could manage to get San Diego's 17th pick this year plus Rivers, how many draft picks would Doug Whaley have to give up?

My guess is the Bills would have to give up their first and second round picks in 2016, and their 2nd and 3rd round picks this year.

Would you make that trade? I would.

The Bills don't really NEED their 2nd or 3rd round picks this year.

If the Bills land Rivers, they won't NEED to draft a QB in 2016 either.

The Bills would get Philip Rivers and the 17th overall pick in this year's draft (starting offensive tackle) for a 2nd rounder in sweet '16.

The Chargers have recently tried to extend Rivers' contract, but he doesn't want to play in LA no matter how much they pay him.

Rivers is 33 years old and turns 34 in December. He doesn't need a great offensive line in front of him to be great.

Does he fit Roman's style of offense? I think Greg Roman would cream his pants if the Bills signed Rivers.

At this point in his NFL career, it's pretty obvious that Philip Rivers is looking for a change. He's not signing an extension because he won't play in LA.

Handing the ball off over 50% of the time might be something he'd be interested in doing to prolong his playing days up here in Buffalo.

Rivers is an excellent NFL quarterback. He's borderline Hall of Fame material.

The San Diego Chargers are looking toward the future, and so is their starting QB. The franchise is in a state of flux, much like the Bills were last year around this time.

The Chargers are movin' on up, and now might be the right time to start over again by letting go of their past.

Trade Rivers for the most draft picks possible and tank the 2015 season.

That could be in San Diego's best interests come time for the Chargers to play in LA's Carson City, and in the Bills best interests to win Super Bowl L.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Riv

If you trade for a guy like rivers, you tailor the offense to him and not the other way around.

That said, I don't see this happening. Why wouldSan Diego unload him without a qb coming back?

SpikedLemonade

Re: Rumor: The San Diego Chargers Gave Doug Whaley A Phone Call About Trading For Riv

I doubt we would also get their 1st round pick this year.

My guess our 2nd and 3rd this year plus our 1st next year would be enough given he only has this year left on his contract.

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    If you trade for a guy like rivers, you tailor the offense to him and not the other way around.

That said, I don't see this happening. Why wouldSan Diego unload him without a qb coming back?
    Throw in their choice of any of our QBs.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The only way I see the Bills getting Rivers is by trading them Dareus. They're both looking for contracts after the season. It would be the only trade I see happening. I don't know if I would agree with that. Dareus is going to be getting a 100 million contract so instead of losing him the Bills might decide to do this.

6. Post thanked by:

HHURRICANE (04-26-2015),Skooby (04-26-2015),TacklingDummy (04-25-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well, if a friend of yours heard it through the grapevine.... It's good enough for me. It must be true, fire Whaley now.

8. Post thanked by:

BoyILuvLoznStupidly (04-28-2015),Historian (04-29-2015),Mr. Miyagi (04-27-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sudzy View Post
    Well, if a friend of yours heard it through the grapevine.... It's good enough for me. It must be true, fire Whaley now.
    Why fire Whaley for trying to sign one of the best QB's in the game?

Sign Rivers, hope he plays for 3 years, win a Super Bowl or 2, and worry about drafting a quarterback in 2018.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post

That said, I don't see this happening. Why would San Diego unload him without a qb coming back?
    Because the Chargers will soon be moving to a new city and would benefit from having 2 number 1 draft picks in 2016.

Think of Tim Murray running the Chargers.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BertSquirtgum View Post
    The only way I see the Bills getting Rivers is by trading them Dareus. They're both looking for contracts after the season. It would be the only trade I see happening. I don't know if I would agree with that. Dareus is going to be getting a 100 million contract so instead of losing him the Bills might decide to do this.
    I'd rather give up 4 draft picks, sign Rivers, and extend Dareus with a little restructuring help from Super Mario.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If I'm the Chargers I want both the 2 and 3 this year and the Bills 1 and 2 next year

if they want players the Bills have to part with Dareus and likely some picks

13. Post thanked by:

HHURRICANE (04-26-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This isn't madden. The Bills will not have enough money to keep Dareus and Rivers if they somehow traded for Rivers without giving up Dareus. They need to sign a few other important players next year as well.

15. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (04-25-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,469 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bills should give their 2nd rd. pick this year and chagers give us Rivers and their first this year and call it a day.
    Last edited by justasportsfan; 04-25-2015 at 07:03 PM.

17. Post thanked by:

BoyILuvLoznStupidly (04-28-2015),HHURRICANE (04-26-2015),sudzy (04-26-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    If I'm the Chargers I want both the 2 and 3 this year and the Bills 1 and 2 next year

Nope. Dareus for Rivers straight up.

19. Post thanked by:

better days (04-26-2015),BillsImpossible (04-25-2015),Skooby (04-26-2015),TacklingDummy (04-25-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post

I'll part with the picks, but no way in hell do I trade Dareus unless it's one for one trade for Rivers. No draft picks, just a straight up player for player trade.

The Chargers get Dareus and the Bills get Rivers.

Deal.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,488 Times in 9,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Even if the stars lined up, there's no chance whatever Rivers would want to end his career in Buffalo. Los Angeles makes him cranky, which makes him a one year rental for any team where he doesn't want to be. And a hugely expensive one we can't afford anyway.

22. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (04-25-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Even if the stars lined up, there's no chance whatever Rivers would want to end his career in Buffalo.
    Why not? The weather? I honestly think that Philip Rivers could give a flying turd about the weather.

He wants to win a Super Bowl, and so do the Bills.

Why not get married?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post

If Whaley could manage to get San Diego's 17th pick this year plus Rivers, how many draft picks would Doug Whaley have to give up?
    Why in the world would the Bills want to get San Diego's 17th pick this year? Getting Rivers would cost plenty enough as it is.

25. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (04-26-2015),better days (04-26-2015),WagonCircler (04-25-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 842 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Bills don't really NEED their 2nd or 3rd round picks this year.

OMG the last 6 weeks you have wanted the Bills to use their 2nd Round pick on 5 different positions and now you're claiming they don't need there 2nd Round pick. Wasn't it yesterday you claimed you would feel way more secure if he Bills used their 2nd and 3rd Round pick on OTs.. Too funny

27. Post thanked by:

EDS (04-27-2015),HHURRICANE (04-26-2015)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,488 Times in 9,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Why not? The weather? I honestly think that Philip Rivers could give a flying turd about the weather.

He wants to win a Super Bowl, and so do the Bills.

Why not get married?
    No, from what he says it's about his kids and the atmosphere where they are living. He doesn't so much want to win a super bowl as have a happy family in a nice place because he's already loaded with cash. Buffalo does not shoot to the top of lists like that. Rivers has no driving passion for championships so much as he does for happy family, or he'd not care if they moved to supposedly football starved LA where he might have his cake and eat it too.

Sweet southern cities can give him the same money with better climate and happier atmosphere and he'd have a gentle pleasing commute to the stadium.

29. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    No, from what he says it's about his kids and the atmosphere where they are living. He doesn't so much want to win a super bowl as have a happy family in a nice place because he's already loaded with cash. Buffalo does not shoot to the top of lists like that. Rivers has no driving passion for championships so much as he does for happy family, or he'd not care if they moved to supposedly football starved LA where he might have his cake and eat it too.

Sweet southern cities can give him the same money with better climate and happier atmosphere and he'd have a gentle pleasing commute to the stadium.
    I'll tell you, Mace, as far fetched as this story sounds, there's a wildcard that might actually make Buffalo appealing to Rivers.

Strange as this sounds, it's possible that Buffalo is the most Catholic city in America. Do not underestimate the value of that in Rivers' eyes.

His mother's sister is a client of mine, and a friend. There's a lot here that he would value that others might not. He's a very unusual guy, and this is a great place to raise kids (provided you have money).

He has family and business interests in Raleigh. Carolina has a young QB, so it's an unlikely landing spot. Washington might work for him, but if he hates LA, he would detest DC. Same for NYC (well, New Jersey) Cleveland might be a possibility, if the Bradford deal blows up with Philly. Baltimore? Doubtful.

I know it's a longshot, and it pisses me off to no end that Whaley fuct us with the Watkins deal, but we can dream, right? It's what we do here.

31. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (04-26-2015),BillsImpossible (04-26-2015),CommissarSpartacus (04-26-2015),Dr. Who (04-26-2015),Mace (04-26-2015)