• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JATMtheJATM
    • Aug 2012

Re: Would you want Vanek back ??

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
    No, Vanek can't put the puck in the back of the net. One of the reasons why we are in this situation is because Darcy thought he could and tried to build a team around him, Roy and Pominville.

Vanek's good on the PP- especially in front of the net. I'll give you that. But he is not a reliable goal scorer and is overpriced for his production.
    he can, just not as good as he used to. two 40 goal seasons. vanek was always "the guy" in buffalo, and he produced well. his game has changed, he doesnt score as often as he used to, but his assist total has remained high. hes 31, so

his game HAS to change as certain skills erode. but hes still a very solid player, albeit overpriced (but what free agent signing isnt?)

the question is, has his production actually dipped because he himself is in decline, or is he on a new team as a support player rather then a core player, and the stats reflect that? probably a combo of both. that 17 point drop isnt based on decline alone, i dont think.

would i bring vanek back? sure, as a supporting player. would i trade the future for him? no.
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• coastal
      Legendary Zoner
      • Mar 2005

First Hodgson and now Vanek?

r u actually THINKING when u type this crap!?

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by coastal View Post
        First Hodgson and now Vanek?

r u actually THINKING when u type this crap!?
        its kind of hard to discuss and debate with people who cant get past the initial stage of disagreement without trying to make things personal. it gets old.

if you remember correctly, i only corrected people on hodgson when they claimed he never had been a productive player. you seem to be taking that completely out of context to argue points never made.
        Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• rbochan
          Zamboni Driver
          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
          he can, just not as good as he used to. two 40 goal seasons...
          Did you actually watch those two "40 goal seasons"? They were flukes, at best.

The first, 06-07, He had Briere on his line feeding him assists. I could probably score 40 goals on Brier's line that season.
          The second, 08-09, included 13 empty netters - including the 40th passed to him by Pominville 6' from the opposing empty net in the final seconds of the last game of the season.

He's roughly a 20-30 goal scorer who was overpaid and over-hyped by Darcy Regier trying to save face on one of (one of several of) the worst contracts in NHL history.

He can freeze to death in St. Paul for all I care.
          ...Rob

The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
          it's Don't Tread On Me.

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by rbochan View Post
            Did you actually watch those two "40 goal seasons"? They were flukes, at best.

The first, 06-07, He had Briere on his line feeding him assists. I could probably score 40 goals on Brier's line that season.
            The second, 08-09, included 13 empty netters - including the 40th passed to him by Pominville 6' from the opposing empty net in the final seconds of the last game of the season.

He's roughly a 20-30 goal scorer who was overpaid and over-hyped by Darcy Regier trying to save face on one of (one of several of) the worst contracts in NHL history.

He can freeze to death in St. Paul for all I care.
            seems the sabres could use 20-30 goal scorers, could they not? If he became available, sure, I'd take him back in a heartbeat
            Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• coastal
              Legendary Zoner
              • Mar 2005

its kind of hard to discuss and debate with people who cant get past the initial stage of disagreement without trying to make things personal. it gets old.

if you remember correctly, i only corrected people on hodgson when they claimed he never had been a productive player. you seem to be taking that completely out of context to argue points never made.
              Quit your whining.

let me ask you a question... what exactly is it in Vanek's game and how he plays it that makes you want to insert him into the mix again?

Comment

• camelcowboy
                • Mar 2005

I'm waiting for his gambling to catch up with him

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                  • Aug 2012

Quit your whining.

let me ask you a question... what exactly is it in Vanek's game and how he plays it that makes you want to insert him into the mix again?
                  Points.
                  Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                    • Aug 2012

I don't even know why this is being turned into a serious convo, bease he's not coming back, but here goes. Vanek is still an offensive player, and was (is?) One of the best net front presences in the league. He's also (was) outstanding on the power play.

not everyone is going to be an excellent, balls to the wall, two way player like girgs. Doesn't have to be. Vanek was paid to play offense, and that he did very well. And going by numbers, still does.

Considering the sabres are weak offensively, and thin on the wings, I don't see why you wouldn't?

But it's a hypothetical.
                    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• coastal
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Mar 2005

Points.
                      That's the best you have

Comment

• coastal
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Mar 2005

I don't even know why this is being turned into a serious convo, bease he's not coming back, but here goes. Vanek is still an offensive player, and was (is?) One of the best net front presences in the league. He's also (was) outstanding on the power play.

not everyone is going to be an excellent, balls to the wall, two way player like girgs. Doesn't have to be. Vanek was paid to play offense, and that he did very well. And going by numbers, still does.

Considering the sabres are weak offensively, and thin on the wings, I don't see why you wouldn't?

But it's a hypothetical.
                        I saw a unidimensional player who didn't give 100% on every shift.

he was our version of Phill Kessel... But without the elite scoring ability.

Hes a team killer.

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                          • Aug 2012

I saw a unidimensional player who didn't give 100% on every shift.

he was our version of Phill Kessel... But without the elite scoring ability.

Hes a team killer.
                          Yeah, I don't see that. Not the last part anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

That's the best you have
                          No, I explained it pretty well
                          Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• DetDannyWilliams
                            Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie.
                            • Feb 2013

Sabres weren't going to draft Vanek...

Rumor is... was that the Sabres were getting ready for the NHL Draft scouting players (last year before the scouting department went to video scouting) but Golisano who just saved the Sabres from bankruptcy put the kibosh on that! Golisano and all of Buffalo just saw Thomas Vanek score the GW goal for his school Minnesota against New Hampshire at the 2003 Men's Division I Ice Hockey Tournament that was played in Buffalo that year and whom was named the Frozen Four's Most Outstanding Player! the Sabres NOW just had to take Vanek and come June the Sabres were 5th that year in the NHL Entry Draft and their first overall pick was Thomas Vanek and the rest is history.

Last edited by DetDannyWilliams; 05-03-2015, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• DetDannyWilliams
                              Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie.
                              • Feb 2013

Comment

• trapezeus
                                Legendary Zoner
                                • Oct 2004

he hasn't scored a goal in the playoffs yet.

He seems to be the same old Vanish.

i agree he can be a valuable player. but he isn't a guy you build around. if you can stash him on a 3rd line and have the talent on the front 2, then yes, you should get him. but he never wanted to be the man. and when you try to make him the man, he resists. but he can put up points. so the worst scenario occurs. you have a guy who has the production as a high point scorer without the mindframe of a high goal scorer. Which ultimately means you have to pay him like a star when he doesn't want to be one.

and frankly i think that wreaks havoc on a locker room.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍