Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm not going full-blown rant, but...

Thanks
    Thanked 30,526 Times in 17,419 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not going full-blown rant, but...

I know, I know...

They haven't even put pads on yet...it's way too early to discount some positive things going our way...opinions don't matter nearly as much as results, and the preseason doesn't even start for another three months...everybody (players, coaches, front office) still has the opportunity to prove any naysayers 'wrong'...they are the ones getting paid, not us, so they must know something...

...but...

I can't remember the last time I was this disappointed over what transpired over an off season. Right from the start...

--Didn't hire the best coach for the situation we ended the season with.
    --Messing with a defense that was outright dominant last year, with the promise that it will be even better.
    --Spent a boat-load of money in free agency on shiny new toys that might not mean **** without an oline or dline.
    --Basically ignored 'better fixes' for the most glaring needs roster-wise (offensive line and QB, arguably safety)
    --Created more holes than they filled
    --Possibly wasted an entire draft adding talent to areas that were least in need of upgrading.

I hope I'm wrong, but I can't help but feeling that instead of moving forward, we're moving back. And it isn't just 'two back, one forward', it's two back for coaching, two back for free agency, and two back for the draft.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

2. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (05-02-2015),Mouldsie (06-03-2015),notacon (05-02-2015),OpIv37 (05-02-2015),WagonCircler (05-02-2015)

SpikedLemonade

Re: I'm not going full-blown rant, but...

Perhaps but the floor for this team is a relatively high 8-8. I don't see them losing 9 games.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Where did we go when there were drafts you DID like?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 912 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'd really like to hear what your "better fixes" were for OL and QB.
    "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Where did we go when there were drafts you DID like?
    Four straight Super Bowls.

7. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (05-02-2015),notacon (05-02-2015),WagonCircler (05-02-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'll tell you that the guy they should have coaxed from Pittsburgh was named LeBeau, not Whaley.

9. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (05-02-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Four straight Super Bowls.
    Brilliant answer.

You haven't liked a Bills draft while it unfolded in 25 years or more?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInRoch View Post
    I'd really like to hear what your "better fixes" were for OL and QB.
    Granted, QB is a tough situation this off-season, I've even argued that myself. Cassell may be the best we could hope for, no idea why we picked up Taylor, and didn't really expect to draft one this year anyway.

I would have liked to see at least more effort than the two guys they targeted in free agency (as they said themselves, IIRC) to acquire another vet olineman (Carpenter, Wisniewski, etc) and prefer they take more chances on oline in the draft (Miller is probably the best pick ATM, but would have taken Fisher or Marpet instead of corner-actually, it's not oline, but I would have run to the podium for Jordan Phillips for D-or Myers/Thompson instead of a RB).

We spent a lot of money in free agency on the 'fixings', the draft should have been mostly about the 'beef'.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Brilliant answer.

You haven't liked a Bills draft while it unfolded in 25 years or more?
    I have my moments, especially when gifted softballs over the center of the plate.

I liked last year's draft, actually.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I would have liked another OL and maybe the 7th rounder longshot is that but outside of that, this draft wasn't too bad.

I understand the Darby pick ( BTW, he was at the stadium today for fanfest ) even though I wanted OT Fisher.. but Miller, Williams and O'Leary are 3 guys we could defintely use.

FA was a grade of A, IMO.

This isn't a team coming off a 3-13 season. They needed better coaching and another 1-2 wins. Hard to not like wha'ts going on.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I 'get' the Darby pick also, to a point. He's already replaced Brooks, and will probably supplant McKelvin or Graham next season. Would have preferred somebody at another position that I think had a better chance of a bigger contribution this season.

Hopefully Miller can produce this season, he has the best opportunity to step in. Williams means either FJax (better not, IMO), Boobie (would prefer he stayed) or Brown (OK, not a big deal but a wasted draft pick exchanged) are gone, posiibly two of them. I'd be surprised if O'Leary ever contributes any more than Gragg has.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

2001 Was a pretty good draft.

16. Post thanked by:

YardRat (05-02-2015)

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

freddies gone. deal wid it
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 4,183 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I liked most of the offseason actually, but the draft is arguably our weakest since 2000, and that O Line still really really bothers me and its going to bite us in the ass.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I know, I know...

They haven't even put pads on yet...it's way too early to discount some positive things going our way...opinions don't matter nearly as much as results, and the preseason doesn't even start for another three months...everybody (players, coaches, front office) still has the opportunity to prove any naysayers 'wrong'...they are the ones getting paid, not us, so they must know something...

...but...

I can't remember the last time I was this disappointed over what transpired over an off season. Right from the start...

--Messing with a defense that was outright dominant last year, with the promise that it will be even better.
    --Spent a boat-load of money in free agency on shiny new toys that might not mean **** without an oline or dline.
    --Basically ignored 'better fixes' for the most glaring needs roster-wise (offensive line and QB, arguably safety)
    --Possibly wasted an entire draft adding talent to areas that were least in need of upgrading.

I hope I'm wrong, but I can't help but feeling that instead of moving forward, we're moving back. And it isn't just 'two back, one forward', it's two back for coaching, two back for free agency, and two back for the draft.
    Idiot thread
    Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,489 Times in 9,186 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I know, I know...

...but...

Sorry about the wall of text but I have a lot to say.

Well...I was always way more continuously antagonized during the Jauron offseasons...but I sort of waffle between your viewpoint and finding some wee optimism in changing my perspective.

I wasn't in favor of the Ryan hire, but it will be a lively, colorful ride. Starting with that, they followed a committed path toward a plan I can at least be impressed with because I see a methodical process.
    - uncertainty at QB, find a play action short range guy to work a running game with some occasional smarts for change of pace in case it's not Manuel, or an upside athletic "maybe". Cassel is next best at the former if you can't have Alex Smith, and Tyrod Taylor fits the athletic "maybe" well enough. If you mean to go run heavy, the guy is not going to be slinging, soooo....
    -you build a running game. First, hire the best guy you can to do it. No one better than Roman. Give him a line coach that suits his plan, enter Kromer. Those two add a plus to available linemen. Fetch a nasty run blocker, enter Incognito. A proven fullback would help, Felton. Probably need a proven scary RB, here's Shady. Run blocking is easier than pass protection, you aren't going to be passing much but if you do....
    -get weapons to draw coverage so teams can't stack the box and present options if they do. Clay, and Harvin to add to Watkins and Woods. Now you have a bunch of weapons that can create opportunity when it presents itself, what do you do then with your draft...
    -well if all of the above are working, and you feel your crew will be fine for it, you re-sign your important defensive FA, welcome back Jerry Hughes, to cater to your HC's defensive wizard rep by keeping the best toys he can play with. Then you have to draft...
    -you want upside depth, ST talent, which gives the rooks a chance to earn the chops and play for you if you can motivate them. Motivating them is RyanFest, he lives and breathes it. He loves him some press/man corner, Darby, hey here's a solid running game mauler with upside in Miller. Well now you're in round 5, if your motivator can motivate, here's a bruising if raw between the tackles guy in Williams, and he has his chance to get serious if he wants to. Steward well, lb depth and some special teams freshening, adequate "maybe". Throw in a TE with a motor and desire if not the best skills, but soft hands and a competitor mentality.

For better or worse, they made a plan and are working it with a focus. Ryan does not want a two gap Fairbanks-Bullough NT, his line is set in his head, as are his LB's, and Rex does defense, it's just what he does. The O-line has less chance to fail in a run offense, as does the QB, whichever it is. The O-line needs to plow to set up the occasional opportunity for big plays. They aren't going to be a high powered gunslinger offense.

Oh the whole thing could turn out woeful, but it won't be because they weren't on the same page which to me, gives it a marginally better chance of working if Roman can help Ryan tune his game day management, and after working under Harbaugh, should have some exp with volatile.

For better or worse, they went all in on what they thing they have, need, intend and mean to do. There's going to be plenty of time to get aggravated down the road. No point in doing it now when they haven't even shown how well they can apply it all yet, imho.

21. Post thanked by:

better days (05-06-2015),Boomstick (05-02-2015),Mad Bomber (05-04-2015),mysticsoto (05-03-2015),YardRat (05-02-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 912 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Granted, QB is a tough situation this off-season, I've even argued that myself. Cassell may be the best we could hope for, no idea why we picked up Taylor, and didn't really expect to draft one this year anyway.

I would have liked to see at least more effort than the two guys they targeted in free agency (as they said themselves, IIRC) to acquire another vet olineman (Carpenter, Wisniewski, etc) and prefer they take more chances on oline in the draft (Miller is probably the best pick ATM, but would have taken Fisher or Marpet instead of corner-actually, it's not oline, but I would have run to the podium for Jordan Phillips for D-or Myers/Thompson instead of a RB).

We spent a lot of money in free agency on the 'fixings', the draft should have been mostly about the 'beef'.
    I like how you know just how much "effort" we put in.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I love the hiring of Rex Ryan. It's ridiculous to say our defense won't be better when Ryan had a better defense with far less talent.

The off season was terrific and the Bills tried incredibly hard to add oline vets so it's stupid to say they didn't try. Adding proven vets seems smarter than adding unknown rookies in a weak draft.

The draft was a disappointment and I found it interesting that Green Bay traded up to get Huntley. Whaley did say they weren't adding starters necessarily but contributors. Run oriented guards, blocking TE's, secondary help, and special teams seem like needs to me.

24. Post thanked by:

better days (05-06-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInRoch View Post
    I like how you know just how much "effort" we put in.
    I referenced a comment made by the front office.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,241 Times in 15,405 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think you're way off base on this one, Rat.

Watch us open 2-0.

27. Post thanked by:

better days (05-06-2015)