Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 NFL Draft: Final quick-snap grades for AFC East teams

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

2015 NFL Draft: Final quick-snap grades for AFC East teams

Buffalo Bills

Draft picks: CB Ronald Darby (No. 50 overall), OG John Miller (No. 81 overall), RB Karlos Williams (No. 155 overall), LB Tony Steward (No. 188 overall), TE Nick O'Leary (No. 194 overall), WR Dezmin Lewis (No. 234 overall)
    Day 1 grade: N/A
    Day 2 grade: B-
    Day 3 grade: C
    Overall grade: C-
    The skinny: If we had to give a grade for Day 1, it would be a C-minus. The Bills traded away what would have been a good pick this year in order to move up a few spots for Sammy Watkins in last year's wide receiver-rich draft. Darby doesn't exactly fill a glaring need, but he has tremendous quickness and can be a nickel guy from Day 1. Miller fits in perfectly with Rex Ryan's system, and Nick O'Leary was born to play in Buffalo.

Bottom line: The Bills didn't address some of their needs, doubling up on some positions that aren't necessarily weaknesses. It's pretty clear Rex Ryan likes FSU players, too.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...afc-east-teams

2. Post thanked by:

Strongman (05-05-2015),swiper (05-05-2015),WagonCircler (05-05-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: 2015 NFL Draft: Final quick-snap grades for AFC East teams

Quote Originally Posted by jills View Post
    Buffalo Bills

Draft picks: CB Ronald Darby (No. 50 overall), OG John Miller (No. 81 overall), RB Karlos Williams (No. 155 overall), LB Tony Steward (No. 188 overall), TE Nick O'Leary (No. 194 overall), WR Dezmin Lewis (No. 234 overall)
    Day 1 grade: N/A
    Day 2 grade: B-
    Day 3 grade: C
    Overall grade: C-
    The skinny: If we had to give a grade for Day 1, it would be a C-minus. The Bills traded away what would have been a good pick this year in order to move up a few spots for Sammy Watkins in last year's wide receiver-rich draft. Darby doesn't exactly fill a glaring need, but he has tremendous quickness and can be a nickel guy from Day 1. Miller fits in perfectly with Rex Ryan's system, and Nick O'Leary was born to play in Buffalo.

Bottom line: The Bills didn't address some of their needs, doubling up on some positions that aren't necessarily weaknesses. It's pretty clear Rex Ryan likes FSU players, too.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...afc-east-teams
    It's clear Whaley likes FSU players.

Rex said he will give his opinion on a player but he trusts Whaley & the scouts to make the final decision.

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    It's clear Whaley likes FSU players.

Rex said he will give his opinion on a player but he trusts Whaley & the scouts to make the final decision.
    Have you considered changing your name from Better Days to Rex Said?

5. Post thanked by:

swiper (05-05-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    Have you considered changing your name from Better Days to Rex Said?
    I also report what Whaley, Roman & others associated with the Bills say as well, so no I will not change my name.

But I think my name will finally have meaning.

better days have arrived at last.

Lecter's Little Bitch
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

#19 there was really not a lot of "good picks" that would "fill a glaring need", which I assume they're referring to QB. We didn't pick a QB obviously on purpose.

The media is so stuck on the QB thing, we would've got a terrible grade no matter what unless we took a QB. So screw them.

8. Post thanked by:

better days (05-05-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
    #19 there was really not a lot of "good picks" that would "fill a glaring need", which I assume they're referring to QB. We didn't pick a QB obviously on purpose.

The media is so stuck on the QB thing, we would've got a terrible grade no matter what unless we took a QB. So screw them.
    Even if the Bills did draft a QB, the media would have called it a reach of a mediocre QB by a desperate team.

Lecter's Little Bitch
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think this guy is a Jets fan anyway, pissed that Rex came to us instead.

New York Jets

Draft pick: DL Leonard Williams (No. 6 overall), WR Devin Smith (No. 37 overall), LB Lorenzo Mauldin (No. 82 overall), QB Bryce Petty (No. 103 overall), OL Jarvis Harrison (No. 152 overall), NT Deon Simon (No. 223 overall)
    Day 1 grade: A+
    Day 2 grade: A-
    Day 3 grade: A
    Overall grade: A
    The skinny: The new front office and head coach in New York landed the best player in the draft. That's a nice way to start your tenure even if Williams might not really be a true need for the Jets. That defense should be nasty for Todd Bowles, and Williams could provide some insurance in case Muhammad Wilkerson leaves as a free agent next season. Smith has plenty of speed and will help stretch the field for Geno Smith. Mauldin was a great value pick in the third round off the edge. With some time under his belt in the NFL, Petty might turn out to be the best passer in this draft class and finds a great home in New York to develop behind Geno Smith.

Bottom line: Top-heavy draft group adds to a talented roster assembled very quickly by new GM Mike Maccagnan.

11. Post thanked by:

better days (05-05-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,941 Times in 3,493 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post

Well it is kind of hard to ignore. The C- grade though seems to be more due to our lack of a 1st round pick based on the wording of the review. Hard to argue that when you see the value our rivals in the AFCE got out of the 1st round.

13. Post thanked by:

swiper (05-05-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I like John Miller, but I think your last two picks are your best. Obviously I'm a big O'Leary fan but I was very impressed with the limited amount of Dezmin Lewis that I got to see. He looks like a guy who can take a slant 50-60 yards. I ended up with a 5th round rating on him.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    Well it is kind of hard to ignore. The C- grade though seems to be more due to our lack of a 1st round pick based on the wording of the review. Hard to argue that when you see the value our rivals in the AFCE got out of the 1st round.
    I agree, the lack of a first & fourth rnd pick affects the grade of the draft.

Hopefully the Bills hit on the players they did draft.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,941 Times in 3,493 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Even if the Bills did draft a QB, the media would have called it a reach of a mediocre QB by a desperate team.
    The only guy I had an interest in this draft as a developmental prospect was Bryce Petty. That's where not having that 4th round pick kind of stung. We might have jumped ahead of the jets using one of our 6th rounders. Petty is very raw but you give him NFL coaching for 2 years and you might have something. Annoys me that the Jets got him for a 4th.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    It's based on not having a 1st and 4th, in addition to not appeasing the media by refusing to draft a Manziel/Weedon/Quinn/Barkley/Clausen type winner at QB like Petty or Hundley.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    It's based on not having a 1st and 4th, in addition to not appeasing the media by refusing to draft a Manziel/Weedon/Quinn/Barkley/Clausen type winner at QB like Petty or Hundley.
    Or it's based on the fact that they took 2 character questionable players. A TE that serves no purpose on this roster. A who cares WR. A useless OLB. But they did get a guard! That guard will make the entire draft alright! Or maybe this is just some more self serving dreck?

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Or it's based on the fact that they took 2 character questionable players. A TE that serves no purpose on this roster. A who cares WR. A useless OLB. But they did get a guard! That guard will make the entire draft alright! Or maybe this is just some more self serving dreck?
    Excellent. I got under your skin. The day is good !

Keep up the classic trolling.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I have no problem with O'Leary or Miller, but outside of that it was puzzling.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    I have no problem with O'Leary or Miller, but outside of that it was puzzling.

I'd add Lewis, but I agree.
    Diehard BillGator... best of both worlds

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Glass half full or half empty?

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by GvilleBills View Post
    I'd add Lewis, but I agree.
    I have no problem with Lewis as a prospect, but we added two pass catchers in FA and drafted still another before him. Especially on a ground based team, I don't see how there's enough passes for him to show anything. His absolute best case scenario is to somehow competely destroy worlds in camp, but that would only rise him to 4th WR jumping Hogan.

I don't see how he even makes the roster.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,469 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We didn't need to draft a late rd. qb. That's what Tyrod Taylor was brought in for.

Lecter's Little Bitch
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    LOL The entire FO and scout team with years of professional experience spent over a year evaluating players and completing the draft, not to mention the players who spent their entire lives dedicating to their craft working out and practicing giving their blood and sweat. All of that just to be casually dismissed by some internet troll who has probably never picked up a football in his life, sitting on the couch with his left hand in his pants, calling these guys who-cares and useless and questionable and no-purpose.

What a f***ing joke. WTF do you know.