Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draft Weekend Thoughts

Thanks
    Thanked 24,457 Times in 14,168 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Draft Weekend Thoughts

I don't follow the draft like I used, but I still try and pay attention and have some thoughts to offer on our draft class and unofficial FA signings.

Round 2 - CB Ronald Darby
    I'm not as down on the Darby pick as many here seemed to be. I think Darby is a high upside pick who was likely the best player available at our pick per our board. He's got great speed and cover ability. Darby's issue is that he struggles to find the ball when its in flight. His two career picks came from him breaking on a short route out of his backpedal. Those are plays that elite level athletic plays to burst out of his backpedal and break on the ball. I think under the tutoring of Donnie Henderson he could be a player who has the potential to be a #1 CB in the NFL. He has to improve his ability to play the ball though. Darby will be an immediate player for the Bills because he can tackle. In the Nickel and Dime situations I think you can play him outside slip McKelvin inside and feel great about the coverage v. aggressive blitzes.

Round 3 - OG John Miller
    This was probably one of the worst kept secrets by the Bills, he was the 1st official visitor and the Bills were clearly high on him throughout the process. Miller is a versatile interior OL prospect who played both LG and RG at Louisville. He's not a road grader or a puller but he's technically sound and has a strong core. It's not easy to move Miller off his spot and he could be a really underrated addition for an OL that struggle to make holes last year. He's doesn't have ideal size and I have questions about why you take him Round 3 with guys like Tre Jackson still on the board, but he was the guy they targeted and got where they wanted him. The fact that they turned down an offer to trade this pick and add more picks should tell us how much they like Miller.

Round 5 - RB Karlos Williams
    This was the pick that I think gave most fans a sick feeling in the pit of their stomachs that Day 3 was not going to be fun, and it wasn't. Williams is an incredible athlete but a questionable football player. He's got open field speed, power, and size, but he lacks the vision to find the running lane and was a safety just two years ago. I posed the question this morning on Twitter and hope a Bills reported asks somebody at OBD, but what officially is the plan with Williams? His size and speed combo are the perfect fit for a Rex Ryan defense at the SS position. However, we also have a pending hole at RB with Brown and Jackson in the final years of their contracts. I just don't know about this pick, I thought Williams would be available a couple of rounds later honestly.

Round 6 - LB Tony Steward
    The Bills have this beyond annoying propensity to draft ST players for no apparent reason. Steward was a backup/ST for the majority of his career at Clemson. He's an athletic LB prospect but doesn't really pop out on film for anything. He's not a great coverage guy, he's not a great run stuffer. He's just your run of the mill LB who can run really well and tackle above average. I saw absolutely no reason to even make this pick and continue to be not only confused but beyond annoyed by the Nix/Whaley model of drafting ST guys. The one saving grace for this pick is that Steward was a former HS phenom, but that was two ACL surgeries ago. I just don't get this decision at all. By far our worst pick imo.

Round 6 - TE Nick O'Leary
    Didn't we just sign a more athletic version of O'Leary in Charles Clay? That's why I said out loud when the pick was announced. Forget the FSU thing for a minute, but what does O'Leary bring us that we don't already have in Clay, or even in Gragg? O'Leary is a sure handed TE who has sneaky athleticism. He can run all the routes and is smooth in and out of his breaks. He's a willing blocker but he's got size limitations. I do like his versatility to work in line, off the line and out of the backfield. However, both Clay and Gragg already offer that. To me this pick says that Gragg's days are numbered more than anything else.

Round 7 - WR Dezmin Lewis - Central Arkansas
    Lewis is the size WR that the Bills have lacked for years and he did some really good things at Central Arkansas. At 6'4, 212 lbs Lewis has plenty of size and he made some really impressive plays at Central Arkansas. He's a guy who does a good job high pointing the deep ball and offers some red zone ability as well. I don't think he sees the field much this year and may not even make the roster but he's a nice sleeper pick who could really come into play for the 2016 season.

UDFA Class -
    Justin Hamilton DL ULL
    A straight NT prospect who has the ability to make the roster due to his size and limited amount of guys who can play the NT spot for the Bills. He can push the pocket, but was never dominant at ULL.

Cam Thomas CB Western Kentucky
    Size CB who can run pretty well. He's a guy who plays on the outside and can get physical with his jam using his size and long arms. He's a PS candidate only imo since we have an overload at CB right now.

AJ Tarpley LB Stanford
    An ILB prospect who I actually like more than Steward. The Bills lack depth at ILB and Tarpley is an excellent read and tackle guy for this D. He's limited athletically and probably will never become more than a reserve guy but I think he has the ability to make the 53 man roster out of camp.

Clay Burton TE Florida
    Brother of current NFL TE Tre Burton, but not near as athletic. Was a DE in HS and some people have mentioned he could be a DE/OLB prospect with some upside. If they move him back to D this signing makes more sense to me.

BJ Larsen LB Utah State
    Think he's more likely to end up as a 5 tech guy than a LB, but he's listed at LB. Nice size and power, but limited speed. I don't see him as a guy who has a chance to make the roster.

Cedric Reed DE Texas
    The crown jewel of the Bills FA's is Cedric Reed. He was a beast in 2013 and some saw him as a potential 1st rounder. He was the only FBS player beside Khalil Mack to record 5 sacks, 4 PBU's, and 5 FF's. If his knee is fully healed I think he has a real chance to become a player who not only makes the roster but could contribute next year working behind Mario.

Andrew Hudson DE Washington
    Hudson went from a player who was told to transfer at the end of 2013 from the Huskies to a guy who ended being one of the stars of the D. He's an undersized 34 OLB prospect that would probably line up behind Jerry Hughes. A lot his production last year came to attention teams paid to Danny Shelton inside. Maybe he surprises me but I don't see it right now.

Spencer Roth P Baylor
    Roth isn't the booming punter that we traditionally see the Bills try and bring in. Instead he's an accurate guy who put 40% of his punts last year inside the 20 and only had 2 go for touchbacks. He puts nice hang time on the ball and lets his coverage team (read Marcus Easley) get down the field to make a play. Concerns do surround the amount of time he takes to get the punt off once it has been caught but he only had one punt blocked at Baylor.

Merrill Noel DB Wake Forest
    Freshman All-American at Wake Forest, Noell is a small CB in the mold of Robey. I honestly don't much about him outside he has dealt with a number of injuries in his career.

Andre Davis WR South Florida
    Don't sleep on Davis potentially making this team. He's a bigger version of Robert Woods who runs great routes and has sure hands. I won't say much about him because Matt Waldman did an incredible write up at this link:
    http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2015/02/15...r-andre-davis/

Tyson Chandler OT NC State
    So this would be this years version of Micheal Jasper I suppose. A guy who comes out of nowhere with great athletic ability to wow scouts in a workout. 6'5, 331 with 31 reps at 225lbs is impressive. Chandler was the best OL at the NC State Pro Day and was put on teams radars then. Probably a guy you take and hope to develop in a year or two.

What's Missing:
    Well the obvious item missing is a QB. The Bills drafted no QB's and signed no QB's from this draft class (as of yet). While the Bills do have four QB's on the roster, Jeff Tuel isn't a guy I'd bet anything on and the other three are just meh. I thought that the Bills should of gone hard after Brandon Bridge as a FA target after missing on Petty and Hundley.

Also I still have concerns on both lines. I wanted at least another OT and would of liked to see a backup center added as well. BJ Finney was a Free Agent who I know many here were high on. He would of been a good add for our line. I will be quiet pissed off if La'el Collins is cleared by the police tomorrow and the Bills do not put the full court press on him. Collins salary and signing bonus are capped and he very well may get an offer from every NFL team but the Bills need to do whatever they have to try and sign him.

Best Pick & FA Add:
    No question the best pick was Ronald Darby. He was a 1st round talent at CB and really mirrored the BPA philosophy the Bills have been too eager to avoid in the past. The best FA add was Cedric Reed. He's a guy who some had a 4th-5th grade on and if he's fully recovered could become a contributing member of this team next season.

Worst Pick:
    I still don't get the Tony Steward selection, I think he would of been there as FA in all honesty.

Final Thought:
    This wasn't a good draft and it wasn't a bad draft. It was just a lot of meh. I thought the Bills got away from their BPA strategy after Darby and took who they wanted over more talented options. That's a frustrating trend that has at times held this team back. Without an answer at QB and questions along the OL it could be another .500 year for the Bills unfortunately.

Early 2016 thoughts:
    QB Connor Cook, QB Christian Hackenburg or bust. Set your DVR's now because those are the top two consensus QB prospects for next year.
    Last edited by DraftBoy; 05-03-2015 at 10:31 AM.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

2. Post thanked by:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

baalworship (05-03-2015),BillsFanInNM (05-03-2015),BillsImpossible (05-03-2015),Buddo (05-03-2015),coastal (05-03-2015),cookie G (05-03-2015),Don't Panic (05-03-2015),doormatt (05-03-2015),Dr. Who (05-03-2015),Fixxxer (05-03-2015),Ginger Vitis (05-03-2015),Historian (05-05-2015),Jan Reimers (05-03-2015),jimmifli (05-03-2015),JJamezz (05-03-2015),Later (05-03-2015),Lone Stranger (05-03-2015),Lucidvizion (05-03-2015),Mace (05-03-2015),mysticsoto (05-03-2015),Oaf (05-03-2015),Patti120 (05-03-2015),Scumbag College (05-03-2015),Skooby (05-03-2015),The last buffalo fan (05-04-2015),X-Era (05-03-2015),YardRat (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Draft Weekend Thoughts

Good write up DB.

I liken the draft to bad over meh, but meh also works.

The Bills won't be bad enough to get Cook or Hackenburg or likely even Cardale Jones though.

4. Post thanked by:

DraftBoy (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Good write up DB.

I liken the draft to bad over meh, but meh also works.

The Bills won't be bad enough to get Cook or Hackenburg or likely even Cardale Jones though.
    We're not sure yet how bad they'll need to be. There are other really good prospects next year including Bosa, Hargreaves, and Stanley. Mocking The Draft put out an early 2016 mock this morning and he didn't have a QB in his Top 5.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,220 Times in 3,689 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What % of plays will Darby see the field on this season ?? Maybe 5% of the plays ?? There was several guys for the O-line that I could see starting immediately available, which we passed on. I know we focused on the O-line last draft & took a chance at the end there but dang. Another RB was needed as much as a hole in the head as well. O'Leary is supposed to be a great blocker so I think we use him as another level of protection.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    What % of plays will Darby see the field on this season ?? Maybe 5% of the plays ?? There was several guys for the O-line that I could see starting immediately available, which we passed on. I know we focused on the O-line last draft & took a chance at the end there but dang. Another RB was needed as much as a hole in the head as well. O'Leary is supposed to be a great blocker so I think we use him as another level of protection.
    It could be more than a quarter of the defensive snaps or more. That's impossible to project right now.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    We're not sure yet how bad they'll need to be. There are other really good prospects next year including Bosa, Hargreaves, and Stanley. Mocking The Draft put out an early 2016 mock this morning and he didn't have a QB in his Top 5.
    I'd be surprised if anyone but Bosa isn't the number 1 pick. That guy is a beast.

Walter Football seems to think Cardale Jones will be the top QB off the board with the trio of guys all gone by pick 9.

It would surprise me if the Bills picked higher than 15, tbh...obviously unless they give up the farm to move up.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    I'd be surprised if anyone but Bosa isn't the number 1 pick. That guy is a beast.

Walter Football seems to think Cardale Jones will be the top QB off the board with the trio of guys all gone by pick 9.

It would surprise me if the Bills picked higher than 15, tbh...obviously unless they give up the farm to move up.
    I agree Bosa is the clear #1 guy right now. I don't see Cradle Jones as the best QB though. Connor Cook is the clear #1 guy to me. I think they all could go Top 10 and I don't think the Bills will be picking there but I just don't know right now.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,560 Times in 17,444 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Good read DB.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

11. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-03-2015),DraftBoy (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 4,053 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's too early to tell who's going to be the higher-rated prospect between Jones and Cook. If Cardale Jones can put together a full season like the 3 games he played in 2014, he's probably the #1 overall pick. But it's just as likely that he'll come down to Earth and show everyone why he was 3rd on the depth chart in Columbus to begin with.

Do you read what you write? Oaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I too wonder if Williams will flip back to SS.. Hey, George Wilson worked out..

14. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Cedric Reed sounds interesting. Will have to dig up some more on him.

All in all, I can understand why this draft pissed fans off. Not having a first round pick, not getting an offensive lineman in the second. I was really hoping for an elite guard with pick 50 but unfortunately this didn't come to pass. Really will also watch the AJ Canns and Marpets to see how they do. If they come in and flourish and John Miller doesn't start then I reserve my right to rip this draft apart.

16. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I agree Bosa is the clear #1 guy right now. I don't see Cradle Jones as the best QB though. Connor Cook is the clear #1 guy to me. I think they all could go Top 10 and I don't think the Bills will be picking there but I just don't know right now.
    I find it interesting how much two people who are both good scouts can disagree. Know someone I trust who isn't high on Cook at all.

I think Jones will be the top QB and if he can pull out a decent season, Hack will be in conversation for top as well. Bosa is just incredible, will be interesting to see if a team picking #1 overall can ignore QB. Not a chance all top 5 teams ignore QB, though.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

18. Post thanked by:

DraftBoy (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by baalworship View Post
    Cedric Reed sounds interesting. Will have to dig up some more on him.

All in all, I can understand why this draft pissed fans off. Not having a first round pick, not getting an offensive lineman in the second. I was really hoping for an elite guard with pick 50 but unfortunately this didn't come to pass. Really will also watch the AJ Canns and Marpets to see how they do. If they come in and flourish and John Miller doesn't start then I reserve my right to rip this draft apart.
    I don't mind picking Miller, and I don't mind taking only 1 OL in this draft. If they can get something out of 1-2 of last year's OL draftees, we should have a solid OL foundation.

What ticks me off is picking these guys who are clearly not at positions of need and completely ignoring DL. We haven't drafted a single DL in 3 years. And yet how many RB's have we signed, traded for, picked, etc.? Why is there no priority on DL, but high priority on RB of all positions? Stupid.

20. Post thanked by:

BillsFanInNM (05-03-2015),Lone Stranger (05-03-2015),Oaf (05-03-2015),The last buffalo fan (05-04-2015),YardRat (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by psubills62 View Post
    I don't mind picking Miller, and I don't mind taking only 1 OL in this draft. If they can get something out of 1-2 of last year's OL draftees, we should have a solid OL foundation.

What ticks me off is picking these guys who are clearly not at positions of need and completely ignoring DL. We haven't drafted a single DL in 3 years. And yet how many RB's have we signed, traded for, picked, etc.? Why is there no priority on DL, but high priority on RB of all positions? Stupid.
    I am all for adding a pass-rusher and DT but it's hard to find a difference maker after the first 2 rounds. Have a feeling you will get your wish next year as I think DT will be taken in the first 2 rounds.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,897 Times in 4,019 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Nice write up.

-Darby was a typical Rex Ryan pick. That's now 4 of the past 6 years he's taken a db with his first pick. The scary thing is that despite 3 of 6 no. 1 picks for DB's on the Jets, they still felt compelled to bring back Revis AND Cromartie.

-Is it true they had only 4 predraft visits for OL? By my count, they had Miller and Green in for private visits, Marpet at the Combine and BJ Finney at the East West Shrine game. For a team addressing its greatest non QB weakness (by far)....the due diligence exhibited is...staggering.

When I hear Whaley say things like "Darby was by far higher than any OL on our list"...I really want to see the list, and more importantly, want to see what went into creating the list.

Eh...I really wasn't expecting much out of this draft, and they didn't disappoint in keeping expectations to a minimum.

23. Post thanked by:

DraftBoy (05-03-2015),The last buffalo fan (05-04-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,560 Times in 17,444 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    Nice write up.

-Darby was a typical Rex Ryan pick. That's now 4 of the past 6 years he's taken a db with his first pick. The scary thing is that despite 3 of 6 no. 1 picks for DB's on the Jets, they still felt compelled to bring back Revis AND Cromartie.

-Is it true they had only 4 predraft visits for OL? By my count, they had Miller and Green in for private visits, Marpet at the Combine and BJ Finney at the East West Shrine game. For a team addressing its greatest non QB weakness (by far)....the due diligence exhibited is...staggering.

When I hear Whaley say things like "Darby was by far higher than any OL on our list"...I really want to see the list, and more importantly, want to see what went into creating the list.

Eh...I really wasn't expecting much out of this draft, and they didn't disappoint in keeping expectations to a minimum.
    Add to that the comment from Whaley that they had targeted two guys in free agency, and it's even more staggering.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Nice write up.

The draft was soul sucking. Like being a Bills fan.

26. Post thanked by:

DraftBoy (05-03-2015),Later (05-03-2015)

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Agreed. And IMO if the Bills perform as a team the way I think they can next year I'd be all for a monster move up to get the top or a top QB.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ICRockets View Post
    It's too early to tell who's going to be the higher-rated prospect between Jones and Cook. If Cardale Jones can put together a full season like the 3 games he played in 2014, he's probably the #1 overall pick. But it's just as likely that he'll come down to Earth and show everyone why he was 3rd on the depth chart in Columbus to begin with.
    Just to note his 3 games last year were good but far from being elite. They were a lot of fun because he hit some big deep balls, but he missed on a lot of intermediate passes. His size, speed, and strength though are going to be of big interest to teams over guys like Cook and Hackenburg.

What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace X-Era's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,212 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

DB, I agree on Steward. I would have rather taken DePriest.

30. Post thanked by:

YardRat (05-03-2015)