X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BertSquirtgum
    • May 2009

Karlos Williams to play safety?

Say this on BBMB. Intriguing to say the least.

Yesterday, when the Buffalo Bills selected Karlos Williams the running back/former defensive back from the Florida State Seminoles, many fans were upset. They could not believe why Williams was selected when the Bills had LeSean McCoy, Fred Jackson, Bryce Brown and Anthony Dixon in their backfield. Don’t discredit the Buffalo Bills scouting just yet….. Could the Bills revert Karlos Williams back

Yesterday, when the Buffalo Bills selected Karlos Williams the running back/former defensive back from the Florida State Seminoles, many fans were upset. They could not believe why Williams was selected when the Bills had LeSean McCoy, Fred Jackson, Bryce Brown and Anthony Dixon in their backfield. Don’t discredit the Buffalo Bills scouting just yet…..
    Could the Bills revert Karlos Williams back to safety? Karlos Williams was projected as a defensive star when he arrived at Florida State as the No. 5 overall recruit in the nation in 2011.
    Williams’ high-water mark on defense came in an emergency stint at linebacker in his sophomore year during the ACC championship game, in which he made 11 tackles and secured a game-clinching interception. He’s also starred as a kick returner.
    It sounds like the Bills can use Williams in a rack of different positions, but right now they need a safety and Williams brings the tenacity that Rex Ryan loves.
    Think about it Bills fans, let a player play his natural position. I remember him being a very hard hitting safety at FSU.

• Jry44
    • Apr 2013

Re: Karlos Williams to play safety?

FSU has had some serious talent at the RB position the last few years. I don't think they would move him from SS if he were an NFL caliber player at that position.

Being a 5th round pick, he's a long shot to even make the roster at eitehr position. Drafting him just gives a the staff a longer look at the kid.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Others have already pointed out the possibility around here.

If we were looking for a safety, we should have drafted a safety...
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• The Jokeman
        • Dec 2003

At the very least Karlos Williams should be a solid ST player. As he already knows what it takes to be a return man and being he's played on the defensive side of the ball he also looks like he could be a solid coverage guy. By 2016 he could be backing up McCoy with Fred Jackson on his last legs and Bryce's Brown contract down after this coming season. Toss in as good as Boobie was at times last year he proved he can't carry the load himself when called upon.

Comment

• Meathead
          Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
          • Jul 2002

how about running back slash safety

it would never work but how cool would that be. who was the last both sides player? neon deon is prolly the most famous example. anybody recently?
          One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
            Skoobasaurus-Rex
            • Oct 2011

How about a good blocking running back ??

Comment

• John Doe
              Florida Man
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
              how about running back slash safety

it would never work but how cool would that be. who was the last both sides player? neon deon is prolly the most famous example. anybody recently?
              I remember when the Colts drafted Mike Curtis in the first round as a fullback. He played special teams the first year and I think it was in his second year that they converted hime to linebacker where he excelled.

Comment

• drummernut745
                • Sep 2009

Richard Sherman was drafted in the 5th round as a wide receiver

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by drummernut745 View Post
                  Richard Sherman was drafted in the 5th round as a wide receiver
                  are you sure? i don't think that's true. i thought he made the change to the defensive side of the ball while at stand ford

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
                  are you sure? i don't think that's true. i thought he made the change to the defensive side of the ball while at stand ford
                  Stanford
                  stupid auto correct
                  I came.
                  I saw.
                  I conquered.

Comment

• Meathead
                    Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                    • Jul 2002

yeah but i mean a real both sides player. its super tough close to impossible in the nfl cuz those guys study so much just to get a 0.1% advantage that you cant possibly learn two full positions. you gotta be super physically gifted, like deion. even he only really did it one season when he was a wr/db, but he returned kicks almost the whole time. wasnt jj watt running te patterns recently? maybe that was preseason idk
                    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                      • Sep 2012

I think Buffalo is the first team ever to use their 5th round pick to replace their 4th round pick from the same draft.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Beebe
                        • Aug 2011

GOOD PLAYER

Comment

• psubills62
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2008

I asked some FSU guys why he moved from S to RB. Figured if they had a need at RB, injuries, whatever, then he might work at S. They said he didn't have the instincts for S at all, though he looked decent at LB during the time he played there. TIFWIW
                          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                            • May 2003

I think they picked him because they felt he might be as good or better at RB than Brown and Dixon, and is a very good Special Teamer. He is pretty big and slow for a safety, more the size of a Linebacker. But I really don't see him moving to defense.
                            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Night Train
                              Retired - On Several Levels
                              • Jul 2005

That's some pretty good film as a Safety/LB. 2 way role player ?
                              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                              X