Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: When does Whaley get accountability....

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,509 Times in 9,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: When does Whaley get accountability....

Quote Originally Posted by Jry44 View Post
    So.... what's to say that none of these guys that everyone is pissing and moaning over couldn't be a "maybe"?

And I'm not at all insinuating that we shouldn't have bothered drafting the later round players. Because as you stated, you never know. However I am also of the realization that these late round players that people are pissing and moaning over are also real long shots to make teh team anyway. So why be pissed over the selection? If they hit on one, great. If not, it's to be expected and you just move on....
    I'm big on the "maybe"'s. We could have had more of them. We don't. Work this years "maybe"'s sure, and see what comes of them. The results are expected, yeah, but you said you don't know why people are worked up over a 6th for Williams. Those were two maybes, the 6th and the Williams they never used. Those two "maybe"'s are both on Whaley.

I looked up Ozzie Newsome's drafts, he's considered a premium GM and evaluator of talent in general. In his 13 years as Ravens GM, he always had a 6th. If you look through those drafts, Baltimore always loaded up on "maybe"'s. They never look short on late round picks. The more "maybe"'s you have the more talent to sift, means we're sifting less talent, and we are certainly not the Ravens.

Add in Bryce Brown for a 4th, two more "maybe"'s unexplored. That's up to 4. If Brown was a good pickup you don't get Karlos Williams (though debatable by running style), but to me that counts for another and that's a 5 player talent sifting swing total. Catastophic ? Not yet. But if it doesn't make you wonder, you're not being realistic. It's not about crying or whining, it's about looking at cost vs. return. That speaks directly to Whaley's accountability, doesn't it ? The more players you bring in the more chance to find gems if your scouts are worth their salary.

We are not a perennial division contender to be able to afford dorking around sifting talent and wasting "maybe"'s in any round. In my opinion anyway. And it doesn't make me a complainer, it makes me a realist.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You bring up a good point Mace. I think we have a week scouting department. If you thought Ralph was cheep on HC choices you can bet your ass he was not going to invest much in scouting. I think there might be a bit of the hangover effect when it comes to that area of the organization. Seems they like to do one stop shopping at FSU.
    They need to model the small market Packers. They heavily rely on drafting and resigning their own player's.
    Last edited by Zoneblitser; 05-06-2015 at 05:55 AM.

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,041 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The thing I like about Whaley is that he tries to fill holes going into the draft as opposed to having to draft a certain position becaue we have absolutely no one at that spot. Just going back a few years of our 4-7 round picks:
    2014:
    Cockerell: Marginal impact
    Richardson: no impact
    R. Johnson: no impact
    Henderson: Starter. Probably only a 7th due to off field
    2013:
    Duke: Looks to be a starter
    Meeks: IR commando
    Hopkins: no impact
    Gragg: possibly 2nd TE
    2012:
    Bradham: Starter good production
    Brooks: no impact / decent ST but replaceable
    Sanders: no impact
    Carder: no impact
    Asper: no impact
    Potter: no impact
    Searcy: Starter good production
    Hairston: IR commando
    White: no impact
    Rogers: no impact
    Jasper: no impact

So out of the last 4 drafts other than Searcy, Bradham and Henderson no one else has seen the field regularily other than injuries or in short stints. The jury is still out on Duke and maybe it is a little early to judge last years class.

The draft is a crap shoot. In Bryce Brown/Mike Williams you actually knew what you were getting. There was tape at the NFL level that shows that they were able to at least compete at this level. So to me getting a guy that you know what you are getting is better than a maybe because as we see above, there are many, many more no impact guys than impact.

My favorite quote about the draft is from Brian Burke the former GM of the Canucks. I'm paraphrasing here. He said "There are no guarantees in the draft. I was standing right there when Atlanta picked Patrik Stefan over Daniel and Henrik Sedin." Stefan went on to score 64 goals in 488 games. The Sedins are still going strong.

The odds are stacked against the pick being the next Tom Brady.

4. Post thanked by:

Zoneblitser (05-06-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    The thing I like about Whaley is that he tries to fill holes going into the draft as opposed to having to draft a certain position becaue we have absolutely no one at that spot. Just going back a few years of our 4-7 round picks:
    2014:
    Cockerell: Marginal impact
    Richardson: no impact
    R. Johnson: no impact
    Henderson: Starter. Probably only a 7th due to off field
    2013:
    Duke: Looks to be a starter
    Meeks: IR commando
    Hopkins: no impact
    Gragg: possibly 2nd TE
    2012:
    Bradham: Starter good production
    Brooks: no impact / decent ST but replaceable
    Sanders: no impact
    Carder: no impact
    Asper: no impact
    Potter: no impact
    Searcy: Starter good production
    Hairston: IR commando
    White: no impact
    Rogers: no impact
    Jasper: no impact

So out of the last 4 drafts other than Searcy, Bradham and Henderson no one else has seen the field regularily other than injuries or in short stints. The jury is still out on Duke and maybe it is a little early to judge last years class.

The draft is a crap shoot. In Bryce Brown/Mike Williams you actually knew what you were getting. There was tape at the NFL level that shows that they were able to at least compete at this level. So to me getting a guy that you know what you are getting is better than a maybe because as we see above, there are many, many more no impact guys than impact.

My favorite quote about the draft is from Brian Burke the former GM of the Canucks. I'm paraphrasing here. He said "There are no guarantees in the draft. I was standing right there when Atlanta picked Patrik Stefan over Daniel and Henrik Sedin." Stefan went on to score 64 goals in 488 games. The Sedins are still going strong.

The odds are stacked against the pick being the next Tom Brady.
    The Bills had 6 picks in this draft. None higher than the middle of the 2nd rnd.

If 3 of those 6 picks end up contributing to the team, I will be happy with this draft.

6. Post thanked by:

Historian (05-06-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    The Bills had 6 picks in this draft. None higher than the middle of the 2nd rnd.

If 3 of those 6 picks end up contributing to the team, I will be happy with this draft.
    That's why I could not understand why the bills wouldn't trade up into the fourth with those two sixth and the one seventh rd picks. Although it is always a gamble you have a better chance of landing a starter from the forth than from the sixth and seventh.

8. Post thanked by:

better days (05-06-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Zoneblitser View Post
    That's why I could not understand why the bills wouldn't trade up into the fourth with those two sixth and the one seventh rd picks. Although it is always a gamble you have a better chance of landing a starter from the forth than from the sixth and seventh.
    I agree, but maybe they could not find a trade partner.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    I agree, but maybe they could not find a trade partner.
    Seems every other team can bounce around and find a trading partner. The bills need a lot of damage control from the past regime.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Zoneblitser View Post
    Seems every other team can bounce around and find a trading partner. The bills need a lot of damage control from the past regime.
    Every other team?

What teams were able to trade into the 4th rnd for sixth & seventh rnd picks?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Nice post. But if they both are failures they got the Bills to 9-7. And when Ryan doesn't do that in 2015 people are going to start wondering. Ryan = most overrated head coach out there. Marrone I still don't like, but he did what he did despite Whaley. Whaley's ceiling is director of player personnel. No higher.
    you are probably right. if ryan underperforms, i think there will be questions. but on the other hand, there won't be "we should have had marrone back". i think 9-7 is the best he could do as a HC in the NFL.

ryan's downfall will be tweaking the d that largely worked under schwarz. i would also look at the injuries. last year's d had almost none. if they get actual injuries at key spots, that can't be on ryan. i really hope that the OC can help offensively and round out Ryan.

13. Post thanked by:

better days (05-06-2015)