Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Babcock officially becomes a UFA

Thanks
    Thanked 5,218 Times in 3,687 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Babcock officially becomes a UFA

Quote Originally Posted by Dude View Post
    Any Sabres fan that's pissed about Babcock going to Toronto is missing the boat. Yeah, it would have been great to have him but the Sabres aren't going to fall off a cliff just because he went somewhere else. The Leafs have their own issues and they're just starting their rebuild. If you think Buffalo is a joke of a franchise, Toronto is and has been for a lot longer than Buffalo, and signing Babcock doesn't instantly change that.
    I think he will get them 8-10 spots higher over the next few years, which basically keeps them out of the playoffs.

SpikedLemonade

TSN and Sportsnet are making a meal out of the 11:00 AM Leafs press conference to announce Babcock by making it into a 90 minute show.

I guess it is kind of a big deal.

Dreger: "This was a matter of geography. The money was roughly the same. His family preferred to live in Toronto..."

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,061 Times in 4,265 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Any Sabres fan that's pissed about Babcock going to Toronto is missing the boat. Yeah, it would have been great to have him but the Sabres aren't going to fall off a cliff just because he went somewhere else. The Leafs have their own issues and they're just starting their rebuild. If you think Buffalo is a joke of a franchise, Toronto is and has been for a lot longer than Buffalo, and signing Babcock doesn't instantly change that.
    I'm a huge Leafs fan, and have been since I was a kid. The franchise has been a complete disaster for the past 20 years. They've gone through coaches, gms, players like crazy.

That being said, I'm very excited Babcock chose the Leafs. Why? Because he's one of the best coaches in the biz. Is he going to take the current Leaf roster and make it a playoff team? LOL Hell no. But, he's a guy that can coach young players and veterans, and he's a guy that doesn't put up with one-way lazy players. He's the perfect coach to build a team with, IMO. 8 years proves that both he, and the Leafs are in it for the long haul. No firing the guy after a season or two, and he sure as hell ain't walking away from 50 million dollars.

Babcock ultimately chose the Leafs for 2 reasons: 1.) If he can turn the Leafs around and win a Stanley cup with them, he'll go down as one of the greatest coaches of all time. He will be a hockey God in the mecca of hockey cities (sorry Montreal). 2.) Nobody in their right mind is going to turn down 50 million big ones guaranteed.

4. Post thanked by:

Dude (05-21-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,218 Times in 3,687 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    TSN and Sportsnet are making a meal out of the 11:00 AM Leafs press conference to announce Babcock by making it into a 90 minute show.

I guess it is kind of a big deal.

Dreger: "This was a matter of geography. The money was roughly the same. His family preferred to live in Toronto..."
    If Toronto or Buffalo was the choice & I knew little about either, I'd take Toronto on the surface. In the long run, Buffalo would be a much better place to raise a family. Maybe Babs should of brought his wife & checked out the schools, I think he'd have a different look at the place.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,061 Times in 4,265 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    If Toronto or Buffalo was the choice & I knew little about either, I'd take Toronto on the surface. In the long run, Buffalo would be a much better place to raise a family. Maybe Babs should of brought his wife & checked out the schools, I think he'd have a different look at the place.
    Canadian schools have been proven to be much superior academically than American ones.

I dont' know if this is true or not, I just made it up.

7. Post thanked by:

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    When did you move to Florida again?

SpikedLemonade

From the press conference....

Turns out Babcock's youngest daughter just graduated from high school and all 3 of his children will be attending colleges. Mike and his wife will be empty nesters. They have chosen to live downtown since it suits their new lifestyle.

So the choice for his wife was downtown Toronto or downtown Buffalo.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 12,036 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

the one thing that gets me is the sudden doom and gloom. heck, no one expected to get him in the first place, and yeah, it sucks coming that close to the dream scenario and not getting it, but we as fans werent expecting it anyways, so whats really changed?

i think the real surprise was babcock leaving detroit. if he stays, i guess it doesnt feel like a missed opportunity? but he didnt like detroits future.
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Victimizing The Victimizer Downinfloflo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,658 Times in 4,936 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This hire wipes the slate clean for Toronto, The wolves looking for that red meat they thought Toronto's off season would provide, Are busy chewing on Babcock.

This bought them a whole bunch of time, And maybe Stamkos.

12. Post thanked by:

coastal (05-23-2015)

Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer POTLAND PSILBYLO's Avatar
    Portland, Oregon Cocoa Mate: Mandy Pepperidge
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,781 Times in 3,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    From the press conference....

Turns out Babcock's youngest daughter just graduated from high school and all 3 of his children will be attending colleges. Mike and his wife will be empty nesters. They have chosen to live downtown since it suits their new lifestyle.

So the choice for his wife was downtown Toronto or downtown Buffalo.
    Loosman's house on Oakland is still available
    Last edited by POTLAND PSILBYLO; 05-24-2015 at 11:27 AM.