• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Bills O-Line...

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
    Who's your five best if you had to name them?

I'd go:
    Wood
    Glenn
    Henderson
    Incognito
    Williams or Urbik

I fully think that a young guy will emerge this year. Probably Miller. Maybe Kujo.
    Right now I would say Glenn-Incognito-Wood-Urbik-Henderson. That means we're basically relying on coaching and Incognito to make the unit better, and those are the only real differences from the end of last year. Wood and Urbik are known commodities, Glenn may still have room to grow, and Henderson definitely needs to make a leap. I hope KuJo and Richardson can improve, and Miller can contribute, but wary of counting on that too much.Would be thrilled if the young guys show the ability to become Glenn and Henderson at tackle, two of Miller, Richardson and KuJo to develop enough to man the guard spots.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
      • Feb 2005

The line improved quite a bit after Marone let Urbik out of the doghouse last season... I'd expect solid play from him but would be more than happy if Miller (or Richardson/Kujo) beat him out of the starting spot.

Comment

• Strongman
        • Apr 2006

I'm expecting them to play better, but I really wish they would get more 1st round talent in the o-line. It needs more studs.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
          • Jun 2024

What fans are forgetting is just how bad our OL was last year and therefore just how much they need to improve just to be average.

Here is an analysis someone did using PFF OL Grades:

Top 5 Worst OLs:
          1. Rams: -86; -17.2
          2. Bills: -63; -12.6
          3. Dolphins: -62.7; -12.54
          4. Chargers: -60.8; -12.16
          5. Cardinals: -54.7; -10.94

Top 5 OLs:
          1. Eagles: 87; 17.4
          2. Cowboys: 76.5; 15.3
          3. Ravens: 66.1; 13.22
          4. Packers: 60.6; 12.12
          5. Texans: 45.2; 9.04

http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments...y_ol_in_every/

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
            • Jun 2024

For those who's memories may not be fresh, please watch the Bills @ Raiders game again from last year.

Henderson plus a couple other OLs were complete dog crap.

They were simply beat up.

Comment

• Swiper
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
              The line improved quite a bit after Marone let Urbik out of the doghouse last season.
              Yeah. I still don't get that - Urbik being in the doghouse. Even the casual observer could see the line tightened up somewhat when he was allowed back in.

What the heck was Marrone's issue with Urbik?

Comment

• Mace
                Haha...yeah you think so ?
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                Yeah. I still don't get that - Urbik being in the doghouse. Even the casual observer could see the line tightened up somewhat when he was allowed back in.

What the heck was Marrone's issue with Urbik?
                No idea, but Marrone did a lot of odd things. I'm unsure Ryan was the right hire, but I sure am glad Marrone is gone.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                  • Jun 2024

If this coaching staff can get the Bills OL to merely average, it will mean 2 more wins over last year.

Comment

• Mace
                    Haha...yeah you think so ?
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                    If this coaching staff can get the Bills OL to merely average, it will mean 2 more wins over last year.
                    That's sort of why it's hard to believe this will fail so bad at least from the start.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                      • Sep 2004

I could see a scenario where the Bills O line improves to average this year, mainly if Miller comes in and snatches a starting role right out of the chute because he earns it. But let's be honest- this is a weakness of the team and we're an injury or two from this being an absolute train wreck. I'm keeping an open mind with a new staff but my sunglasses are a light brown not rose colored.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                        • Jun 2024

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                        I could see a scenario where the Bills O line improves to average this year, mainly if Miller comes in and snatches a starting role right out of the chute because he earns it. But let's be honest- this is a weakness of the team and we're an injury or two from this being an absolute train wreck. I'm keeping an open mind with a new staff but my sunglasses are a light brown not rose colored.
                        This year, if one can ever truly say that a team did or did not make the play-offs based on only one part of its team, our OL is the difference between making or not making the play-offs.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                          • Sep 2004

This year, if one can ever truly say that a team did or did not make the play-offs based on only one part of its team, our OL is the difference between making or not making the play-offs.
                          I agree in part, the OL could definitely keep us out of the playoffs. But let's not put the pot hole of an OL ahead of the crater under center in terms of problems. Run that little wellness chart you did for QB and I think the over under is more than 2 games, no?

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                            • Jun 2024

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                            I agree in part, the OL could definitely keep us out of the playoffs. But let's not put the pot hole of an OL ahead of the crater under center in terms of problems. Run that little wellness chart you did for QB and I think the over under is more than 2 games, no?
                            I agree QB is a big problem, but it was not solvable this off-season. OL was.

A true power run game should minimize the reliance on good QB play. It is enough for our QBs to once in a while hit our WRs in single coverage on the outside or a TE 10 yards wide open in the middle. Crap, a good screen game may be enough alone.

Getting constantly stuffed on first down run plays will put any team behind the eight ball and increase their dependency on good QB play.

Comment

• Zoneblitser
                              • Apr 2015

I will reserve judgement on the Oline until we can get a feel for the new coaches and what they can do to get the most out of the oline. No matter what they do we probably won't see the line come together and play their best football until midseason.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                                • Sep 2004

I agree QB is a big problem, but it was not solvable this off-season. OL was.

A true power run game should minimize the reliance on good QB play. It is enough for our QBs to once in a while hit our WRs in single coverage on the outside or a TE 10 yards wide open in the middle. Crap, a good screen game may be enough alone.

Getting constantly stuffed on first down run plays will put any team behind the eight ball and increase their dependency on good QB play.
                                Sure I'm in, it's the way you have to go and it makes all the sense in the world with our D, Buffalo weather, Rex as coach. Seattle's offense would be the model. But to make that work you need a QB that can convert 60% or better on 3rd down. If not good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X