Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bills Sign FB John Conner

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bills Sign FB John Conner

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    I kinda like Brown to make the team over Dixon if a Brown could learn to hold onto the damn ball...perhaps they should deflate it.

Lotsa running backs, at any rate.
    boobie dixon is useless

he looks like a fumble waiting to happen every run

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by djjimkelly View Post
    boobie dixon is useless

he looks like a fumble waiting to happen every run
    I think it's great that we are improving the ninty man roster. We use to only change those guys out when one got hurt.No

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    I kinda like Brown to make the team over Dixon if a Brown could learn to hold onto the damn ball...perhaps they should deflate it.

Lotsa running backs, at any rate.
    I mentioned this in another thread.

Dixon was a Greg Roman 49er. There is no way that Brown stays over Dixon.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,428 Times in 2,006 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Whaley said that Roman wants to keep 4 TEs. I can't really see them keeping 2 FBs also unless one or both are great ST players too.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I have no problem with Conner, but they can't seriously be considering keeping 2 fullbacks. Right?

6. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 24,470 Times in 14,178 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    I have no problem with Conner, but they can't seriously be considering keeping 2 fullbacks. Right?
    Why not?
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,910 Times in 2,088 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    Why not?
    because it's not 1975 anymore?
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

9. Post thanked by:

Mr. Cynical (05-15-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
    And that's supposed to mean something because we suddenly became a talented juggernaut that didn't carry players like Larry Dean and Randell Johnson on the active roster last year? Roman's offense heavily features the FB, wouldn't hurt to have two and it's not like it's going to cost some uber talented player a roster spot.

11. Post thanked by:

Mace (05-15-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBreeze View Post
    Previously of the Jets, nicknamed "The Terminator". This was obviously a Rex signing
    I remember Conner absolutely destroying an opposing player on (I think) a ST play (kickoff return if memory serves) on Hard Knocks.
    Rex really liked it a lot.

13. Post thanked by:

MillsapsBillsFan (05-18-2015)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,495 Times in 9,190 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm just hoping to see a versatile fullback again, one who can run and catch besides block. Last one I can remember who did all three with any regularity is Carwell Gardner (more than 40 rushing attempts, though Centers was close and the best receiver). I kind of miss the days of Larry Kinnebrew, Roosevelt Leaks and Jim Braxton.

15. Post thanked by:

sudzy (05-17-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Roosevelt Leaks.
    Lol, I remember him.

Roosevelt Leaks? Well, somebody oughta put a cork in him.

Good times.

17. Post thanked by:

Mace (05-17-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I kind of miss the days of Larry Kinnebrew, Roosevelt Leaks and Jim Braxton.
    The 255# Larry Kinnebrew. 10/29/1989 vs Miami. Larry bowls the phins for 121 of Buffalo 280 yards rushing. Buffalo throws the ball a total of 9 times onto a 31-17 rout. Kinnebrew looked like an OG plowing through Miami's defense. Yeah, I miss those day too.

19. Post thanked by:

Mace (05-17-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

And that's supposed to mean something because we suddenly became a talented juggernaut that didn't carry players like Larry Dean and Randell Johnson on the active roster last year? Roman's offense heavily features the FB, wouldn't hurt to have two and it's not like it's going to cost some uber talented player a roster spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
    Even 1975 wasn't 1975 the way people are remembering it. The 75 Steelers used their fullback (Harris) as their primary rusher and the league-leading Bills still found room to give 180 carries to theirs. The idea that we'd carry two exclusively blocking fullbacks is pretty silly. I assume Conner is insurance if Felton is injured, otherwise this offense is going to be seriously retro.

As for Johnson and Dean, mock them all you will but they are basically our only linebacker depth now. With Spikes and Alonso gone, and our only incoming player of any consequence being a 6th round draft pick, you might see a lot more Johnson and Dean then you'd like.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

21. Post thanked by:

John Doe (05-17-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Even 1975 wasn't 1975 the way people are remembering it. The 75 Steelers used their fullback (Harris) as their primary rusher and the league-leading Bills still found room to give 180 carries to theirs. The idea that we'd carry two exclusively blocking fullbacks is pretty silly. I assume Conner is insurance if Felton is injured, otherwise this offense is going to be seriously retro.

As for Johnson and Dean, mock them all you will but they are basically our only linebacker depth now. With Spikes and Alonso gone, and our only incoming player of any consequence being a 6th round draft pick, you might see a lot more Johnson and Dean then you'd like.
    Not really sure how any of that justifies why we shouldn't carry a 2nd FB. If the offense calls for it, then what is the issue exactly? The rest of the NFL isn't doing it? That's not really convincing.

Also Larry Dean signed with Tampa this offseason, we don't have him anymore. Kinda speaks to my point about we don't have a roster so packed with talent we can't afford a roster spot to a 2nd FB.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sudzy View Post
    The 255# Larry Kinnebrew. 10/29/1989 vs Miami. Larry bowls the phins for 121 of Buffalo 280 yards rushing. Buffalo throws the ball a total of 9 times onto a 31-17 rout. Kinnebrew looked like an OG plowing through Miami's defense. Yeah, I miss those day too.
    You know, I still remember that game, because we finally had a beast, but it was better when he bruised up up Cincinnati for 66 later in the year when we beat them. Behind Kinnebrew and Pete Johnson (probably the most devastating contact runner I ever saw play), Cincinnati seemed to plow us with unstoppable fullbacks every time we played them for years, and I was gleeful when we gave them a taste of their own medicine that year, with Kinnebrew wearing them down and roughing them up to soften them up for Thurman. Kelly only had 15 pass attempts that day as we finally had their number, 24-7.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

EThe idea that we'd carry two exclusively blocking fullbacks is pretty silly. I assume Conner is insurance if Felton is injured, otherwise this offense is going to be seriously retro.
    I'm still hopeful they won't be exclusive blockers and get some carrries, otherwise they may as well use Cyril Richardson as a fullback. For that matter, I'm still not sure why teams don't just use offensive linemen-in-training as fullbacks instead of leaving them on the pines to watch.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Not really sure how any of that justifies why we shouldn't carry a 2nd FB. If the offense calls for it, then what is the issue exactly? The rest of the NFL isn't doing it? That's not really convincing.
    A dedicated blocking fullback is fine (although I do take issue with the contract we gave Felton). Two dedicated blocking fullbacks is ridiculous. Any offense that requires a fullback on the field that much is sacrificing a ton of flexibility for power, especially since it requires subbing out one of our better weapons (either Harvin or Clay). I can get behind it as a tactic, not as a strategy.

Also Larry Dean signed with Tampa this offseason, we don't have him anymore. Kinda speaks to my point about we don't have a roster so packed with talent we can't afford a roster spot to a 2nd FB.
    No, it just further emphasizes how aggressively we've spent on the offense this season. Unless one of these guys like Conner or Easley or Goodwin is going to take some defensive snaps, we're still going to have a need for players like Dean.

Let's say we go with 8 linemen and 2 QBs. Which 14-15 skill position guys are we taking on that offensive roster? Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Clay, O'Leary, Felton, McCoy, and Jackson all seem like locks at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

For that matter, I'm still not sure why teams don't just use offensive linemen-in-training as fullbacks instead of leaving them on the pines to watch.
    Some do.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Some do.
    Which ? I was trying to find some examples for stats and can't. Not defensive players...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Which ? I was trying to find some examples for stats and can't. Not defensive players...
    Not as a fulltime thing, but it happens.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...-fullback-void

nd in 35 snaps over the course of the year, the team had center/guard Dan Connolly as a lead-blocking fullback in more of a short-yardage power package.

28. Post thanked by:

Mace (05-17-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

A dedicated blocking fullback is fine (although I do take issue with the contract we gave Felton). Two dedicated blocking fullbacks is ridiculous. Any offense that requires a fullback on the field that much is sacrificing a ton of flexibility for power, especially since it requires subbing out one of our better weapons (either Harvin or Clay). I can get behind it as a tactic, not as a strategy.
    When has Harvin ever proved himself to be a consistent weapon as to classify him as one of our better weapons? I'm not really worried about trying to outscheme guys at this point, we've seen how those results go when we can't move the defense off the ball at all. Also let's not loop Felton and Conner in the same category. Felton is a versatile runner who can take the ball out of the backfield as well. He was the primary ball carrier in a very good Furman triple option offense in the SOCON when in school. So I don't agree with the idea that we sacrifice versatility simply because the guy plays FB. He hasn't been utilized much as a ball carrier in the NFL (46 carries, 163 yards, 3.5 ypc) but he does have the ability to be a guy who can take the ball to surprise the D. Conner is a straight kick the snot out of you blocker. I'm not a fan of Felton's contract either FWIW.

No, it just further emphasizes how aggressively we've spent on the offense this season. Unless one of these guys like Conner or Easley or Goodwin is going to take some defensive snaps, we're still going to have a need for players like Dean.
    Well the offense was basically pure crap last year so they needed to spend some money. Plus the scheme almost entirely changed. I don't think Goodwin even makes the team at this point. So we can give his roster spot to Conner and still add a LB who nobody will remember come next offseason.

Let's say we go with 8 linemen and 2 QBs. Which 14-15 skill position guys are we taking on that offensive roster? Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Clay, O'Leary, Felton, McCoy, and Jackson all seem like locks at this point.
    RB: McCoy, Jackson, Williams (3)
    FB: Felton, Conner (2)
    WR: Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Hogan, Lewis, Easley (6)
    TE: Clay, O'Leary, Gray (3)

There is your 15. If you're going to ask for 14, likely Lewis gets cut and added to the PS.