Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So why the Dareus verdict hasn't been handed down yet?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: So why the Dareus verdict hasn't been handed down yet?

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    Yes, I am. For being outrageously reckless.
    I think people forget how young football players are for the most part.

I know when I was young, I acted reckless from time to time.

And I would bet you did as well.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He got one game for violating the NFL policy and Program for Substance Abuse. Per Adam Schefter

Thanks
    Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,505 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Appeal now while Brady is appealing ... maybe when one gets reduced, Marcell's as well so he can come into the game after half time

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    I think people forget how young football players are for the most part.

I know when I was young, I acted reckless from time to time.

And I would bet you did as well.
    I did, and when I got caught I was punished.

5. Post thanked by:

swiper (05-22-2015),YardRat (05-22-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,096 Times in 3,575 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We can and do all the time. If you get pulled over for DUI, try telling the cop or the judge that you can't punish me because I haven't hit anyone.

You punish people for acting recklessly. Obviously you punish them worse if that recklessness leads to consequences, but neither the traffic law nor NFL disclipine are a "No harm, no foul" situation
    I never said Dareus shouldn't be punished, and he was. And a better analogy would be charging someone with hitting someone while DUI, even if they didn't.

I haven't seen drag racing considered a felony, the punishment I saw was 30 days in jail. But it is significantly more than speeding. Most speeding tickets are given out for going like 10-15 MPH over the limit. That is indeed dangerous. But street racers can easily hit 40-50 MPH over the limit, and Dareus likely did considering he lost control.

I said it before and I'll repeat it: If they suspend players for DUI, they should suspend him for street racing.
    You can't say how fast or even if he was drag racing without him being clocked OR having a drag racing partner. And I don't think it's luck that he happened to miss hitting cars and people. What probably happened is he had Hughes in a car next to him, revved the engine and took off at the green light, and lost control. I've seen it happen because guys don't realize how much torque their high performance vehicles generate.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    I never said Dareus shouldn't be punished, and he was.
    As of now, he hasn't received an NFL discipline.

And a better analogy would be charging someone with hitting someone while DUI, even if they didn't.
    There's no analogy necessary. If the guy is caught for DUI, he gets suspended regardless of whether he hit anyone. If the guy is caught reckless driving, I say he should be suspended for that too because it's just as inherently dangerous.

You can't say how fast or even if he was drag racing without him being clocked OR having a drag racing partner. And I don't think it's luck that he happened to miss hitting cars and people. What probably happened is he had Hughes in a car next to him, revved the engine and took off at the green light, and lost control. I've seen it happen because guys don't realize how much torque their high performance vehicles generate.
    He was racing west down 179, the details are in the news stories about it. The closest intersection there is Abbott Road, about a mile from where he crashed. That's enough distance to hit or nearly hit the top speed on the car.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,096 Times in 3,575 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

As of now, he hasn't received an NFL discipline.

There's no analogy necessary. If the guy is caught for DUI, he gets suspended regardless of whether he hit anyone. If the guy is caught reckless driving, I say he should be suspended for that too because it's just as inherently dangerous.

He was racing west down 179, the details are in the news stories about it. The closest intersection there is Abbott Road, about a mile from where he crashed. That's enough distance to hit or nearly hit the top speed on the car.
    It sounds like he was suspended for the "spice" charge. But again, without a drag racing partner, it's speeding, which again, is reckless.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    It sounds like he was suspended for the "spice" charge. But again, without a drag racing partner, it's speeding, which again, is reckless.
    Well I think marijuana, sythetic or not, should be legal anyway so whatever. If he skates NFL discipline on the racing and gets it for the "spice" then whatever, I'll call it 6 of one, half-dozen of the other.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!