Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: When you discuss deflatgate with non football fans

Registered User CommissarSpartacus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,938 Times in 13,289 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: When you discuss deflatgate with non football fans

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Well, I did read about it on profootballtalk.com.

You can go through their archives to find it.

And non-disclosure agreements are pretty common.
    Yes, they are and we'd be hearing about it regularly if there was one.

I doubt very much whether there is one other than maybe a generic one they force all their employees to sign, but I doubt it would apply.
    My tebya razdavim

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 4,053 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    So, you DON'T know if there's a non-disclosure agreement.

Neither do I, nor have I read about one, so there is no reason to think that a non-disclosure agreement comes into play at all.
    And you accuse OTHERS of being immune to reason and logic?

"I don't know the specific details of a locker room attendant's contract, therefore there are no specific details in his contract."

Does he not get paid if you don't know his salary, too?

3. Post thanked by:

better days (05-21-2015)

Registered User CommissarSpartacus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,938 Times in 13,289 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ICRockets View Post
    And you accuse OTHERS of being immune to reason and logic?

"I don't know the specific details of a locker room attendant's contract, therefore there are no specific details in his contract."

Does he not get paid if you don't know his salary, too?
    Please.

A non-disclosure agreement would have a significant bearing on the issue and would be part of the discussion, IF IT WAS RELEVANT.

If you know different, then please tell us.

Otherwise, find something else to whine about.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Please.

A non-disclosure agreement would have a significant bearing on the issue and would be part of the discussion, IF IT WAS RELEVANT.

It might be part of the discussion if there were a discussion about McNally and Jastremski's future, but nobody with access to information seems interested in that. So instead, the only discussion I know of that concerns them is this one, with people who simply have no way of knowing the details of their contracts.

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

McNally threatened to go to ESPN if he wasn't compensated for doing that thing that no one knows he did. I'm more inclined to believe that there was no NDA because of that threat.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
    McNally threatened to go to ESPN if he wasn't compensated for doing that thing that no one knows he did. I'm more inclined to believe that there was no NDA because of that threat.
    I didn't read that as a threat, I thought he was making a joke.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Please.

NOBODY can say what is in a contract unless they see the contract.

But as I said before, non-disclosure clauses are COMMON in contracts.

And you don't know that it is not there either.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,946 Times in 3,498 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I guess I don't know. Why wouldn't they be allowed to? I feel like that wouldn't be a very big deal.

Again, this would all be solved by having the refs have complete control over the footballs.
    They wouldn't be allowed to because there is a protocol and that is the QB's have control over the balls up until they turn them in the morning of the game for inspection, then the balls are delivered in a bag 10 minutes before kickoff. So no, Brady would no be warming up with game balls. Here' s an article on the subject. http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...wpL/story.html

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...wpL/story.html

10. Post thanked by:

CommissarSpartacus (05-21-2015),Joe Fo Sho (05-21-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm pretty sure they do. They use them all week, as I understand it.
    see above post

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I thought McNaly's texts indicated he was really upset at Brady AND McNally knew what he was doing was against the rules. His texts show he was pissed that Brady chastized him for missing a ball or two in the Jets game and was threatening to get even with him by over-inflating the balls.
    Last edited by Strongman; 05-21-2015 at 11:27 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    They wouldn't be allowed to because there is a protocol and that is the QB's have control over the balls up until they turn them in the morning of the game for inspection, then the balls are delivered in a bag 10 minutes before kickoff. So no, Brady would no be warming up with game balls. Here' s an article on the subject. http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...wpL/story.html

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...wpL/story.html
    Alright. I think that should be changed, then.

The problem would still be solved if the refs had complete control over the footballs.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Strongman View Post
    I thought McNaly's texts indicated he was really upset at Brady AND McNally knew what he was doing was against the rules. His texts show he was pissed that Brady chastized him for missing a ball or two in the Jets game and was threatening to get even with him by over-inflating the balls.
    This is why there needs to be a sarcasm font.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The day after Brady used a 16-psi ball in the Jets game:

McNally: "Tom sucks…im going to make that next ball a f—in balDemocrat." (Oct. 17, 2014)
    Jastremski: "Talked to him last night. He actually brought you up and said you must have a lot of stress trying to get them done…" (Oct. 17, 2014)
    McNally: "16 is nothing… wait till next Sunday" (Oct. 17, 2014)

It sounds like McNally was unable to deflate at least one of the balls used in the Jets game. It doesn't sound like McNally inflated the ball in the Jets game, but clearly he is threatening to inflate balls in the future because he is mad at Tom. It definitely points to a systemic program of tampering with psi, with the process being driven by Tom Brady and strong indications that the lackeys doing the dirty work are reluctant participants threatening to undermine the scheme.

The following week McNally is clearly still PO'd at Brady:

McNally: "Make sure you blow up the ball to look like a rugby ball so tom can get used to it before Sunday" (Oct. 21, 2014)

McNally: "F— tom….make sure the pump is attached to the needle…..f—in watermelons coming" (Oct. 23, 2014)

He is clearly threatening to INFLATE balls to get back at Brady. Why would McNally be mad at Tom Brady?

Seems like Brady is an ass to these underlings.
    He may well be an ass when it comes to the condition of the footballs, probably most QB's are obsessed with having the right feel.

But your conclusion is not logical based on all the texts. jastremski is saying for the Jets game (the game that resulted in some overinflated balls in play) that the refs added air and didn't retest to see if the amount they added was right. McNally certainly didn't turn any balls in at 16. Brady was lashing out probably not realizing who did what to the balls. And McNally was butt sore about getting reamed. My theory from the jump was Brady was VERY particular about the footballs, liked them on the low side and probably knew the refs are very sloppy about inspecting them. So they turn them in at 12.5, maybe some a little under, knowing the refs probably just check a few and if they're close thrown the rest in the bag. It's doubtful they needed to take the extremely risky step of letting air out every week, the refs didn't check them close enough to make that necessary. But if one week the refs inflated some balls well over regulation and Brady had a cow, maybe McNally felt he needed to be more proactive.
    Last edited by Bill Cody; 05-21-2015 at 11:35 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He may well be an ass when it comes to the condition of the footballs, probably most QB's are obsessed with having the right feel.

But your conclusion is not logical based on all the texts. jastremski is saying for the Jets game (the game that resulted in some overinflated balls in play) that the refs added air and didn't retest to see if the amount they added was right. McNally certainly didn't turn any balls in at 16. Brady was lashing out probably not realizing who did what to the balls. And McNally was butt sore about getting reamed. My theory from the jump was Brady was VERY particular about the footballs, liked them on the low side and probably knew the refs are very sloppy about inspecting them. So they turn them in at 12.5, maybe some a little under, knowing the refs probably just check a few and if they're close thrown the rest in the bag. It's doubtful they needed to take the extremely risky step of letting air out every week, the refs didn't check them close enough to make that necessary. But if one week the refs inflated some balls well over regulation and Brady had a cow, maybe McNally felt he needed to be more proactive.
    I find it totally plausibe that the refs did overfill a few balls, but the texts indicate something more going on. For example, there's the text from Jastremski to McNally about Brady saying McNally must have been under pressure (pun intended) to get them done. Why would Brady specifically mention McNally in a conversation to Jastremski if the refs did it? McNally's job should be done after giving the balls to the refs other than carrying them out to the field. It doesn't make sense unless McNally has been routinely asked to underinflate balls after the refs inspect them.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Alright. I think that should be changed, then.

The problem would still be solved if the refs had complete control over the footballs.
    The changes needed would be very minor.

Step 1: decide on an air gauge that both teams and refs are going to use. One kind. Obviously when there is a variance of close to half a pound of PSI from two different gauges you have a problem. It really could be an important component in what set this problem in motion. Let's say Brady has McNally using the "Acme" gauge before the Jets game and he turns in the balls at what Acme says is 12.5 or maybe some a few ticks under. But the ref then tests the balls with "Gauge X" and he happens to start his testing at one of the low balls Brady was trying to slip through at say 12.2. But Gauge X has the ball at 11.8. Now the ref is pissed and he starts adding air like a banchi to NE's footballs and they end of playing with some watermelons. Why else would the ref have overinflated the balls? And we know Jastremski says in a private text last October that some balls measured at 16 the day after the Jets game. Think about it.

Step 2: Actually test the balls and make sure they're all inflated to the QB's preference within legal limits. Do you believe the refs have made it a practice to carefully test every football? I sure don't. Why? Because nobody really cared that much about the subject. They'll sure care now, don't you think?

Step 3: Don't give the balls to the teams until they're delivered to the sidelines by the refs themselves or an NFL worker. Pretty sure no one is going to try deflating balls in front of 70,000 onlookers with cameras covering every inch of an NFL stadium.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I find it totally plausibe that the refs did overfill a few balls, but the texts indicate something more going on. For example, there's the text from Jastremski to McNally about Brady saying McNally must have been under pressure (pun intended) to get them done. Why would Brady specifically mention McNally in a conversation to Jastremski if the refs did it? McNally's job should be done after giving the balls to the refs other than carrying them out to the field. It doesn't make sense unless McNally has been routinely asked to underinflate balls after the refs inspect them.
    If you're right then McNally is a truly incompetent deflator is he's leaving balls at 16. I think the scheme was a lot more nuanced then that. I think they were submitting 12 balls and half were at 12.5 and half at say 12.2. The pressure on McNally was getting the mix right the pressure right to slide some balls past a lazy ref inspecting the balls. Let out too much on too many balls and you end up with the refs making watermelons.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If you're right then McNally is a truly incompetent deflator is he's leaving balls at 16.
    Really? Is that the only possibility? There's no chance that the bathroom he uses to deflate the balls was occupied and he just wasn't able to do his job that one time?

20. Post thanked by:

Strongman (05-21-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The changes needed would be very minor.
    Agreed.

Step 1: decide on an air gauge that both teams and refs are going to use. One kind. Obviously when there is a variance of close to half a pound of PSI from two different gauges you have a problem. It really could be an important component in what set this problem in motion. Let's say Brady has McNally using the "Acme" gauge before the Jets game and he turns in the balls at what Acme says is 12.5 or maybe some a few ticks under. But the ref then tests the balls with "Gauge X" and he happens to start his testing at one of the low balls Brady was trying to slip through at say 12.2. But Gauge X has the ball at 11.8. Now the ref is pissed and he starts adding air like a banchi to NE's footballs and they end of playing with some watermelons. Why else would the ref have overinflated the balls? And we know Jastremski says in a private text last October that some balls measured at 16 the day after the Jets game. Think about it.
    The gauges don't have to be the same make and model. They just need to be calibrated and NIST traceable. Why are the two teams using different footballs though still? That is unnecessary. Put 20 footballs in a bag and play with those.

Yes, Jastremski says his gauge measured 16...what gauge did he use? Was his gauge out of spec? Who knows.

Step 2: Actually test the balls and make sure they're all inflated to the QB's preference within legal limits. Do you believe the refs have made it a practice to carefully test every football? I sure don't. Why? Because nobody really cared that much about the subject. They'll sure care now, don't you think?
    It sucks that the 'change' required is that the refs need to follow the protocol now. Some refs may have followed the protocol perfectly, some may not have cared at all. There's obviously a problem.

Step 3: Don't give the balls to the teams until they're delivered to the sidelines by the refs themselves or an NFL worker. Pretty sure no one is going to try deflating balls in front of 70,000 onlookers with cameras covering every inch of an NFL stadium.
    Don't give the balls to the teams at all then. Have NFL ball boys that are neutral and travel with the refs. That only seems necessary now that someone is accused of tampering.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If you're right then McNally is a truly incompetent deflator is he's leaving balls at 16. I think the scheme was a lot more nuanced then that. I think they were submitting 12 balls and half were at 12.5 and half at say 12.2. The pressure on McNally was getting the mix right the pressure right to slide some balls past a lazy ref inspecting the balls. Let out too much on too many balls and you end up with the refs making watermelons.
    I disagree because of what the Well's report tells us.

On pg. 38 the report tells us "Although Jastremski occasionally receives assistance from other members of the equipment staff, he is responsible for the ball preparation process from start to finish." It goes on to say that Jastemski then prepares the balls throughout the week up and do "finishing touches about on hour before" on game day.

Also on pg. 40, it tells us "before the October 2014 game against the Jets, it had been his (Jastremski's) practice to inflate Patriots game balls to a level between 12.75 and 12.85 psi without thinking much about it, simply because, according to Jastremski, that had been the range targeted by his predecessor."

McNally's role is something else entirely (pg. 42). According to it, "McNally's primary responsibility is to prepare the Officials Locker Room for the game officials, and attend to their needs both before and during the game. McNally considers himself a “liaison” for the officials, and is there to provide or help with “whatever they need.” In this role, he is responsible for bringing items like towels, toiletries, time sheets and game programs to the locker room prior to the game. He also is responsible for bringing an air pump and pressure gauge from the Patriots equipment room to the Officials Locker Room in case they are needed by the officials during their pre-game examination of game balls. McNally explained
    that he obtains the air pump and pressure gauge from the equipment room after Jastremski has finished inflating and adjusting the pressure in the Patriots game balls."

I bolded the important part. So the question is, "Why would Brady be mad at McNally and say McNally must have been under pressure to get them done?"
    Last edited by Strongman; 05-21-2015 at 12:40 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Really? Is that the only possibility? There's no chance that the bathroom he uses to deflate the balls was occupied and he just wasn't able to do his job that one time?
    Speaking of bathrooms, let's not forget McNally's story about using the bathroom during the AFCCG didn't add up.

"With respect to his decision to use the bathroom, McNally claimed that he has used the bathroom near the field entrance while in possession of the game balls many times. He said that on the day of the AFC Championship Game, he entered the bathroom, dropped the ball bags to his left, and used the urinal to his right. That bathroom, however, does not contain a urinal."