Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Report: EJ Manuel may not make the Bills’ 53-man roster

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Report: EJ Manuel may not make the Bills’ 53-man roster

Rex is full speed ahead and the QB position burned him before. No more waiting for the light to go on for Manuel.

The team is now deep at RB, WR & TE...so the QB needs to get them the ball consistently.

I read and heard Rex on radio with his 1st impressions of the trio after Vet OTA's. Cassel made his reads immediately and got the ball out fast. Taylor escaped the rush and still hit his passes, many of them long balls. Manuel was a second late delivering the ball, still trying to process information.

Some team would take him on for future considerations but one has to know when it's time to cut bait. I don't hate the guy but the organization doesn't stay in park waiting for 1 guy while the skill positions on Offense have been improved and a good D is already in place.

Root for the laundry rather than being right about certain players. New owner and coaching staff. I'm done living in the past. This is a new era.

2. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-19-2015),HHURRICANE (05-19-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,559 Times in 17,443 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There is no use cutting EJ, even if he gets smoked by Cassel and Taylor in the QB competition. He will only be replaced by somebody else who is going to occupy his spot on the inactive list on Sundays. If we had used a draft pick on a kid QB that could be thrown into the development process that would be a different story, but we didn't.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Manuel's contract was reported to be fully guaranteed. There is offset language, but still the Bills are on the hook for anything he doesn't get if he signs with another team over the next 2 years if they cut him.

It is hard to imagine the Bills will eat the last 2 years of his contract, unless he is so completely terrible that there is no hope. He'd have to be Tebow bad. I get that he has been hesitant to throw into tight windows and checks down too much, and I understand that his accuracy isn't what you would hope, but he has shown enough to wait and see how he develops with the new system/coaches (at least when you consider the contract).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe...one-in-buffalo

The simple truth is this: as he is currently constructed, Manuel is not an accurate enough quarterback to thrive as a starting quarterback in the National Football League.

He misses throws that players starting at his position make without hesitation. There are times where he gets completions from inaccurate passes, but it takes the receiver so off course that it crushes any hope of legitimate yards after the catch.

This isn't a new phenomenon for him, either. The inaccurate quarterback Bills fans have seen for two years is the same one that started at Florida State University for four seasons.
    Well no s***.
    Didn't we fire those scouts who were in on the EJ bandwagon.
    There were some here who tried to warn against drafting him.
    Just turn on your tv during his 4yrs at FSU, that should have been all you needed to see.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

he just has a cheap contract and injuries can pile up. we also don't know about our line. it's not out of the question to have 2 qb's go down.

if ej was a high priced vet, then yeah, cut him. but EJ has been a good soldier going back in the depth chart.

i think you can do worse than ej if you are looking for an emergency qb.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by k-oneputt View Post
    Just turn on your tv during his 4yrs at FSU, that should have been all you needed to see.
    Well, if you turned on your TV when EJ was at FSU, you saw him win every bowl game he played in.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,409 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Listen to Rex's new interview on radios today, I'm surprised by his comment that "EJ will be part of the team" in a matter of fact manner.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGold View Post
    I have a GREAT feeling about EJ this year.

I think he's really going to light it up in this offense, and we will be counting our lucky stars by mid-october that we have such a good qb.

He has basically come out and said that Marrone and Hackett limited what he could do, and told him to avoid running. Thats such a valuable part of his game, and something that Roman will give him full reign to do. Flat out he is a mobile quarterback, and his ability to use that speed will help us so much. When you throw in the fact that we have the best running back in the league to take pressure off of him... Passing the ball can be EJs 3rd choice every time he steps to the line, and when he does, he has great options to throw to. When you combine the playmaking ability of Clay, Harvin, and Watkins, then figure that woods is a solid #2 and goodwin can stretch any defense and take the top completely off, you see that this is a team that is built to be explosive. There is no way on Gods Green Earth that this is a team that will have Matt Cassel under center. If it's not EJ its Tyrod, but it will be EJ by quite a bit over him.

*****... hold on to your tits. With the weapons we have on offense... plus the defense we have... and a special teams unit that is rock solid... plus, catching the pats without brady 1x lessens the burden of those first 2 home games, and adds to our advantage of having the last 2 at home... this is a team that could easily go 12-4, 13-3. If that happens, and EJ plays well... he could be the league MVP.

errhm, what? Are you EJs dad?

I agree that the EJ hatred may be a bit overblown. But league MVP?
    And also I dont think it is a good thing if you have a QB where only the third option is to actually pass the ball, as you outlined. I do understand the concept of establishing the run and so on and so on. But well, you know, throwing the ball is the one thing that these QB guys are paid to do.

And I am not sure if it is such a safe bet that Cassel is not starting. The guys want to go to the playoffs this year. My guess is that Tyrod will start. But it's just that ... a guess.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Well, if you turned on your TV when EJ was at FSU, you saw him win every bowl game he played in.
    I believe Tebow did that, too, at FLA.

11. Post thanked by:

swiper (05-19-2015)

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Rex drafted Mark Sanchez, extended him, brought in Tim Tebow, drafted Geno Smith, and brought in Michael Vick

Roman drafted Colin Kaepernick, extended him, and brought in Blaine Gabbert

The idea that these guys are going to cut the cord on under-performing high draft pick QBs doesn't really jibe with their history.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,470 Times in 7,087 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

but what I saw when I turned on my TV to watch EJ play for the bills was another Rob Johnson.

This is coming from someone who wanted EJ out of all the qb's in his class.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    I believe Tebow did that, too, at FLA.
    YES he did. As well as playoff games in the NFL.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sure did. A mediocre Big East West Virg team, two five loss teams in South Caro and Notre Dame, and N.Illin.
    Big deal.
    Any qb on their roster would have won those games.

Bottom line is the guy can't hit a wide open wr in the NFL.
    And that is a huge problem in this league because wide open is a small window unlike those ten yd. openings he would see at FSU.

16. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-19-2015),WagonCircler (05-19-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    I don't know if EJ will show enough progress this year to start each game and leave no doubt who our QB is the following year, but you have to suspect that he was not developed properly by Hackett and the other morons.

EJ may simply not have it, but I wish they would have simply stuck with him these past 2 years so we would know by now.

What did we really gain by starting the other QBs over the past 2 years?

The Dolphins, in contrast, look brilliant for being patient with Tannehill.
    Great post.

18. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by gr8slayer View Post
    Great post.
    Why? Tannehill isn't great, but he's clearly cut from a better cloth than EJ Manuel - the worst #1 pick since Mike Williams.

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Why? Tannehill isn't great, but he's clearly cut from a better cloth than EJ Manuel - the worst #1 pick since Mike Williams.
    Mike Williams drafted in 2002 (4th) at least started a few years for the Bills.

I would have to go with Aaron Maybin drafted in 2009 (11th) who did absolutely nothing for the Bills.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Theres no way you can possibly think that EJ Manuel was a worse #1 pick than Aaron Maybin.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It wasn't always that way, Tannehill has come a long way to get to where he is. I think it's ridiculous to claim that Manuel is a savior or a bust with such a small sample size. The Bills will never find the QB of the future if they just keep getting rid of young QB's after a handful of games.

23. Post thanked by:

better days (05-20-2015),kishoph (05-21-2015)

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MillsapsBillsFan View Post
    Theres no way you can possibly think that EJ Manuel was a worse #1 pick than Aaron Maybin.
    Or John McCargo

25. Post thanked by: