Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Trust Rex's Opinion on the Offensive Side of the Ball?

SpikedLemonade

Do You Trust Rex's Opinion on the Offensive Side of the Ball?

Hey, I love the bravado Rex brings to the Bills. I have 100% faith in his ability to motivate NFL players. I think Rex has an elite defensive mind and will only improve our defense. In many many ways, we are lucky to have Rex.

On the other hand, when it comes to the offense, he was very hands off in NY and the Offensive Coordinators he hired there for the most part failed. Rex's success in NY was pretty much one-sided to the defensive side of the ball. Beyond the early safe conservative offense under Sanchez, the Jets offense was a train wreck. The rookie QBs did not progress much which could be a function of player evaluation or development or both.

If Rex's opinion was limited to the defensive side of the ball, that would be great, but Rex has no shortage of opinions.

Now Rex seems to be in love with Tyrod Taylor who quite frankly has shown nothing in his 4 years in the NFL.

Roman is an experienced OC, but many in San Fran believe it was the HC that was instrumental on the offensive side of the ball and not Roman.

So the question is -- Do You Trust Rex's Opinion on the Offensive Side of the Ball?

Thanks
    Thanked 26,210 Times in 13,678 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Do You Trust Rex's Opinion on the Offensive Side of the Ball?

Here's the deal: we don't know what Rex's opinion of the O is. We only know what he told the media.

He has to motivate players and keep fans interested, so he's going to say good things publicly whether he thinks we are the best O of all time or the worst O of all time.

3. Post thanked by:

Mad Bomber (05-27-2015),The last buffalo fan (05-20-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I trust Rex can tell who is a GOOD football player on Offense or Defense.

MUCH MUCH MUCH MORE than Marrone could.

5. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-19-2015),The last buffalo fan (05-20-2015)

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't trust Rex's opinion on offense, but I do trust Roman's. He's had his issues in San Francisco, but overall I liked what he was trying to do.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

7. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-19-2015),jimmifli (05-19-2015),Mace (05-20-2015),Topas (05-20-2015),YardRat (05-19-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Here's the deal: we don't know what Rex's opinion of the O is. We only know what he told the media.

He has to motivate players and keep fans interested, so he's going to say good things publicly whether he thinks we are the best O of all time or the worst O of all time.
    I think this is the first OpIv post I ever agreed with. :thumbsup:
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

9. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (05-19-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,786 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Rex's opinion is about 2% of the puzzle and having an actual quarterback is 96%. The other 2% consists of offensive coaches and the other people on the offensive side of the ball.

11. Post thanked by:

Meathead (05-19-2015),Mouldsie (06-03-2015),sudzy (05-19-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,786 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I will follow that up with the "REX RYAN MODEL OF PLAYING WITHOUT A QB" is still ****...but he's proven it can get to the playoffs. So probably he has a viable strategy to play without a QB. However, getting that QB not playing without him is the real objective.

Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin' Buffalogic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Our team is as good as it gets without a franchise qb. Seattle, San Fran, old Baltimore they weren't held back because of this. There is a chance we won't be either.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Rex's first move as the Bills head coach was to hire Greg Roman as his OC, a guy who took a running quarterback to the Super Bowl in his rookie season.

Yes.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,070 Times in 3,555 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I doubt Rex has much input into the offense. He hired Roman to be the OC and will likely let him run the show.

16. Post thanked by:

Topas (05-20-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,467 Times in 17,375 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Hopefully Rex's only opinion re: the offense is making the decision on Sunday's whether to punt, kick a FG, or go for it.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

18. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think Rex understands better than most what makes an offense hard for defenses to handle. However, I doubt he really understands the little nuances that go into making a great offense. That's why Roman will run the O.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    Now Rex seems to be in love with Tyrod Taylor who quite frankly has shown nothing in his 4 years in the NFL.
    Because Flacco is durable. You could have said the same thing after Aaron Rodgers 3rd season & been just as correct. All players who don't play have shown nothing, it means nothing until they actually play. If he was a backup to Kyle Orton & never got in a game, showing nothing would be more of an indictment against his abilities.

21. Post thanked by:

Mad Bomber (05-27-2015),Topas (05-20-2015)

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

not really. but hes admitted it was a weakness in the past and says hes committed to improving on that as a hc so thats encouraging
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    not really. but hes admitted it was a weakness in the past and says hes committed to improving on that as a hc so thats encouraging
    I pray he has learned from the past.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,895 Times in 3,464 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
    Because Flacco is durable. You could have said the same thing after Aaron Rodgers 3rd season & been just as correct. All players who don't play have shown nothing, it means nothing until they actually play. If he was a backup to Kyle Orton & never got in a game, showing nothing would be more of an indictment against his abilities.
    I really hate when people try to bolster their argument that some late round pick might be good by bringing up an All Pro. What's next, Tie Rod is the next Brady because they were both 6th rounders? Aaron Rodgers was news on draft day because he was in the green room and he dropped to 25th. He was always well thought of. I'm keeping an open mind but I'm going to need to see a lot in preseason to get my hopes up about Taylor.

25. Post thanked by:

Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 4,183 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Hell no, I just hope he doesn't let that ego of his stop him from letting Roman run the show on O. I love Ryan to death as DC/HC, but ironically I want him to have a relationship similar to that which Buddy Ryan had back in the eighties with Ditka in that Rex would be like Ditka and Roman would be like Buddy in that Rex would have the final say on D and ST, and Roman would have complete freedom on the O.

27. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

2014 NY Jets: 4-12

And for the clowns that want to blame that all on Idzik: Ryan was 8-8 in 2011 & 2012 with a roster loaded with talent and a QB better than anything currently on the Bills roster.

He IS NOT a good coach.

Marrone got a less talented team with no QB to 9-7. You idiots all feel butt-hurt because he walked out on you. Maybe HE was the smart one.

Facts are facts.
    Last edited by swiper; 05-20-2015 at 04:53 PM.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,466 Times in 9,174 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I trust Rex not at all in offense, and I'm wary of him in game day management.

I trust Roman absolutely in running game offense, he doesn't do passing offense, never has, that was Harbaugh. In pro and college, others do pass offense in his schemes. In this one it's Lee & Lol, er, Lal.

I trust Lee and Lal not at all in pass offense, but we're not going to have one, so maybe they'll be okay or at least minimized.

If the offense goes south I will blame Ryan for needing to bring Jets coaches here on offense.

If the offense is successful I will praise Ryan for his keen eye in assistant hires, Roman for his brilliance, and insist it is in spite of Lee and Lal unless they win a Super Bowl in which case I'll say I guess they were okay.

30. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (05-21-2015),Mad Bomber (05-27-2015),Mouldsie (06-03-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    2014 NY Jets: 4-12

And for the clowns that want to blame that all on Idzik: Ryan was 8-8 in 2011 & 2012 with a roster loaded with talent and a QB better than anything currently on the Bills roster.

He IS NOT a good coach.

Marrone got a less talented team with no QB to 9-7. You idiots all feel butt-hurt because he walked out on you. Maybe HE was the smart one.

Facts are facts.
    After what came out about Doug Marrone being the biggest jerk this side of the Mississippi, you think HE, 'was the smart one?'

I don't think anyone feels butt hurt at all. I feel relieved that Marrone and his insecure ass is gone and will finish his days in NFL Siberia, aka Jacksonville.

How could anyone think that Rex Ryan is not a good football coach? Was Mike Shanahan a good coach without John Elway?

If Marv Levy never had Jim Kelly, would he be in the Hall of Fame? How did Mike Holmgren due without Brett Favre?

Tom Coughlin isn't a good coach either, right?

Why so negative?