X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ingtar33
    Dances With Buffaloes
    • Sep 2002

Re: Sabres moving very rapidly now...have recieved permission to speak with Bylsma

i think buffalo became a dead end coaching stop after what the sabres pulled with Nolan.

Listen, i was never a fan of ted nolan. I wasn't a fan the first time he got hired, and i wasn't a fan the 2nd time. But what Murray did to him left a really sour taste in my mouth. Murray gave him the worse roster he could, and when nolan was in "danger" of overacheiving with that horrid roster he traded away any player slightly performing, or sent them down to the minors. Basically he made it impossible for nolan to win. Then at the end of the year he cans him? as if that disaster was any of his fault?

no, i don't think any A list coach wants to work with Murray.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
      • Jun 2024

Re: Sabres moving very rapidly now...have recieved permission to speak with Bylsma

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
      i think buffalo became a dead end coaching stop after what the sabres pulled with Nolan.

Listen, i was never a fan of ted nolan. I wasn't a fan the first time he got hired, and i wasn't a fan the 2nd time. But what Murray did to him left a really sour taste in my mouth. Murray gave him the worse roster he could, and when nolan was in "danger" of overacheiving with that horrid roster he traded away any player slightly performing, or sent them down to the minors. Basically he made it impossible for nolan to win. Then at the end of the year he cans him? as if that disaster was any of his fault?

I can't wait to see how the homers respond to this accurate assessment.

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post

yes and no. murray just wants his own guy in there. nolan wasnt going to be kept around from day 1. it was just a stop gap hire, giving a guy who didnt deserve it in the first place a gift, if you will. everyone knew nolan was gone at the end of the season. once the dismantlement of the team was complete, and the team is being put together for the long haul, that included the coaching staff.

people can say that it wasnt right, and thats fine. they gave him a no-win scenario, and i can see how that would rub people the wrong way. but at the end of the day, murray is trying to assemble a roster that will compete for hopefully a cup down the road. that wasnt going to include nolan in any way. why waste time keeping a bad coach to preserve some feelings?

the re-hire of nolan was a mistake, murray had to correct that mistake eventually.
        Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• Crisis
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
          Why not?

He has experience. He is only 44 years old. He has won a SC. He won Coach of the Year. Apparently, he is tough on players.

Sounds exactly what the Sabres need.
          Because he's a guy who is better on a veteran team. He's not good for the kids coming up who will be losing ice time to whichever veteran grinder he will overplay at the expense of prospect development.

He's a better version of Ted Nolan pretty much. That's not what this team needs.
          Originally posted by LOSman WINS
          Vanek is Austrian not European
          Originally posted by Prov401
          Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
          Originally posted by better days
          I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by DetDannyWilliams View Post
            Sabres' Tim Murray discusses Babcock

tim sure seemed excited when talking about eichel. i also like that he admitted he said some silly things.
            Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• DetDannyWilliams
              Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie.
              • Feb 2013

Five Questions: Bylsma enjoying studying the game

NHL.com's Q&A feature called "Five Questions With …" runs every Tuesday. We talk to key figures in the game and ask them questions to gain insight into their lives, careers and the latest news.
              The latest edition features former Pittsburgh Penguins coach Dan Bylsma:
              With time on his hands this season, former Pittsburgh Penguins coach Dan Bylsma has gone back to being a student of the game. His classroom is his living room. His desk is his couch. His teachers are the coaches and players in the NHL.
              "I have done a scout on 27 teams to this point," Bylsma said. "I haven't gotten every team yet, but I'm coaching my son's team and I've been other places where it's just not possible to sit down and watch all of the games that are going on for that two days or three days. So I haven't watched every game, but I usually record two games a night and watch a game so I can watch the other games the next morning at some point in time to see what's happening."
              Bylsma is studying to stay up to date on what's happening in the NHL in case his phone rings with his next job offer. He's ready for that to happen. But he's also studying as a way to learn more about nuances of the game that he never had time to dissect when he was coaching.
              "There are some analytic aspects of the game that I'm looking at and delving into what the numbers mean, what the analytics mean," Bylsma said. "There are certain aspects of how some teams play that I want to dissect and breakdown."
              For example, when someone says, "We need to play in the offensive zone," Bylsma is trying to determine how teams are getting there and what they are doing to stay there.
              "We have a lot of numbers about it, but what does it mean, how do you do it?" Bylsma said.
              He's looking at the grind factor on defensemen and the effect it has on them.

"It's minutes played and the quality of minutes you get," Bylsma said. "How many times do they go back for pucks? How long are they playing in the 'D' zone?"
              He's analyzing zone-entry situations, trying to figure out the cost and benefit between carrying the puck into the zone versus chipping it in and hunting it down?
              "That's why I talk about the grind factor," Bylsma said. "As a defenseman it's easiest to play you face-to-face. The hardest defense to play is when you have to turn. So if you get a shot on net, the defenseman has to turn. If you make him go back for a puck, he has to turn. If you carry it in all night and he's playing face-to-face, it's the easiest defense you can play. Even though it's the best to carry it over the line, it's easiest on the defender.
              "I'm just trying to look at those aspects. I've looked at certain teams that are good at carrying it in and are good in the offensive zone."

And through it all Bylsma has gotten a good grasp on what's happening in the NHL with teams and players, surprises and disappointments. He offered some of his opinions on what he's seen and what he thinks in a Q&A with NHL.com.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=738574
              Last edited by DetDannyWilliams; 05-21-2015, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

I think if he signs on there should be a stipulation in the contract that requires him to legally change his name to 'Billsma'.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• elltrain22
                  • Sep 2003

He would be a very good consolation prize! Get er done boys!!
                  If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                    Skoobasaurus-Rex
                    • Oct 2011

We all hate to have a winning coach for our team, oh wait that's just several DB's here that are trolling. Carry on.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                      Escaped Convict
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                      I think if he signs on there should be a stipulation in the contract that requires him to legally change his name to 'Billsma'.
                      A little too close to "Billsman" if you ask me. (Not good).

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                        • Aug 2012

Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• DetDannyWilliams
                          • Feb 2013

Sportsnet @Sportsnet · 2h2 hours ago

Dan Bylsma is set to meet with the Buffalo Sabres this week. http://ow.ly/NlGTa

Comment

• DetDannyWilliams
                            • Feb 2013

something's up? maybe McKee comes back to Buffalo as an assistant coach if Bylsma is named head coach

Jay McKee @JayMcKee74 · 5h5 hours ago

Dan Bylsma to meet with the Sabres. For what it's worth, I thought he was an exceptional coach. Loved going to the arena every day under him
                            Last edited by DetDannyWilliams; 05-24-2015, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                              • Aug 2012

That... doesn't suggest anything.
                              Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
                                That... doesn't suggest anything.
                                That's DetDanny Williams MO.. He thinks he pieces together connections and possibilities that dont mean **** and have no bearing on a potential outcome

Comment

Working...
                                X