Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sabres moving very rapidly now...have recieved permission to speak with Bylsma

Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie. DetDannyWilliams's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Sabres moving very rapidly now...have recieved permission to speak with Bylsma

Five Questions: Bylsma enjoying studying the game

NHL.com's Q&A feature called "Five Questions With …" runs every Tuesday. We talk to key figures in the game and ask them questions to gain insight into their lives, careers and the latest news.
    The latest edition features former Pittsburgh Penguins coach Dan Bylsma:
    With time on his hands this season, former Pittsburgh Penguins coach Dan Bylsma has gone back to being a student of the game. His classroom is his living room. His desk is his couch. His teachers are the coaches and players in the NHL.
    "I have done a scout on 27 teams to this point," Bylsma said. "I haven't gotten every team yet, but I'm coaching my son's team and I've been other places where it's just not possible to sit down and watch all of the games that are going on for that two days or three days. So I haven't watched every game, but I usually record two games a night and watch a game so I can watch the other games the next morning at some point in time to see what's happening."
    Bylsma is studying to stay up to date on what's happening in the NHL in case his phone rings with his next job offer. He's ready for that to happen. But he's also studying as a way to learn more about nuances of the game that he never had time to dissect when he was coaching.
    "There are some analytic aspects of the game that I'm looking at and delving into what the numbers mean, what the analytics mean," Bylsma said. "There are certain aspects of how some teams play that I want to dissect and breakdown."
    For example, when someone says, "We need to play in the offensive zone," Bylsma is trying to determine how teams are getting there and what they are doing to stay there.
    "We have a lot of numbers about it, but what does it mean, how do you do it?" Bylsma said.
    He's looking at the grind factor on defensemen and the effect it has on them.

"It's minutes played and the quality of minutes you get," Bylsma said. "How many times do they go back for pucks? How long are they playing in the 'D' zone?"
    He's analyzing zone-entry situations, trying to figure out the cost and benefit between carrying the puck into the zone versus chipping it in and hunting it down?
    "That's why I talk about the grind factor," Bylsma said. "As a defenseman it's easiest to play you face-to-face. The hardest defense to play is when you have to turn. So if you get a shot on net, the defenseman has to turn. If you make him go back for a puck, he has to turn. If you carry it in all night and he's playing face-to-face, it's the easiest defense you can play. Even though it's the best to carry it over the line, it's easiest on the defender.
    "I'm just trying to look at those aspects. I've looked at certain teams that are good at carrying it in and are good in the offensive zone."

And through it all Bylsma has gotten a good grasp on what's happening in the NHL with teams and players, surprises and disappointments. He offered some of his opinions on what he's seen and what he thinks in a Q&A with NHL.com.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=738574
    Last edited by DetDannyWilliams; 05-21-2015 at 08:51 PM.

2. Post thanked by:

coastal (05-23-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,530 Times in 17,423 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Sabres moving very rapidly now...have recieved permission to speak with Bylsma

I think if he signs on there should be a stipulation in the contract that requires him to legally change his name to 'Billsma'.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

4. Post thanked by:

Skooby (05-22-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He would be a very good consolation prize! Get er done boys!!
    If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

6. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,218 Times in 3,687 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We all hate to have a winning coach for our team, oh wait that's just several DB's here that are trolling. Carry on.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I think if he signs on there should be a stipulation in the contract that requires him to legally change his name to 'Billsma'.
    A little too close to "Billsman" if you ask me. (Not good).

9. Post thanked by:

swiper (05-27-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 12,036 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Flag of Ukraine.svg

11. Post thanked by:

coastal (05-23-2015),Dude (05-23-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sportsnet @Sportsnet · 2h2 hours ago

Dan Bylsma is set to meet with the Buffalo Sabres this week. http://ow.ly/NlGTa

13. Post thanked by:

Skooby (05-24-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

something's up? maybe McKee comes back to Buffalo as an assistant coach if Bylsma is named head coach

Jay McKee @JayMcKee74 · 5h5 hours ago

Dan Bylsma to meet with the Sabres. For what it's worth, I thought he was an exceptional coach. Loved going to the arena every day under him
    Last edited by DetDannyWilliams; 05-24-2015 at 02:36 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That... doesn't suggest anything.

16. Post thanked by:

Dude (05-26-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 843 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    That... doesn't suggest anything.
    That's DetDanny Williams MO.. He thinks he pieces together connections and possibilities that dont mean **** and have no bearing on a potential outcome

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
    That's DetDanny Williams MO.. He thinks he pieces together connections and possibilities that dont mean **** and have no bearing on a potential outcome
    Maybe he knows the outcome already & is holding back on us ??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 843 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    Maybe he knows the outcome already & is holding back on us ??
    Has he broken news that was about to happen before? Or is he getting ideas from HF board posters?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

One Buffalo!!! ‏@SabreBills_716 May 21
    @JayMcKee74 call Tim Murray!!, have you thought about being a coach with the Sabres?

Jay McKeeVerified account
    ‏@JayMcKee74
    @SabreBills_716 Way ahead of you, but thanks for your concern..

21. Post thanked by:

coastal (05-24-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,914 Times in 5,306 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

lol

Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,514 Times in 4,888 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    Settle down Beavis.
    Well, you don't know how Toronto works when it comes to hockey.
    "We've got a lot to cover. The good news is...I've got the time and I ain't going anywhere." -CM Punk, AEW Rampage, 8/20/21

"I see things in black and white and I have a zero tolerance policy for ****ty people." -Jon Moxley, AEW Dynamite, 1/6/21

Thanks
    Thanked 8,914 Times in 5,306 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
    Well, you don't know how Toronto works when it comes to hockey.
    sure thing...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Friedman: Bylsma wants Sabres' head coaching job

Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman joined Calgary's Sportsnet 960 on Monday morning and discussed the coaching vacancy in Buffalo.

Friedman opined that the Buffalo job is the position Bylsma most covets:

Bylsma and Buffalo is going to be an interesting one. I think that's the job he wants, from what I've been told.

He coached Eichel at the worlds. Todd Richards was the head coach and Bylsma was the assistant on the American team. I think that's going to be one of his big selling points. "I coached Eichel. I coached Crosby." Getting the most out of star players, stuff like that. I believe that's going to be his sell job to the Sabres.

And the other thing too is Tim Murray, one of the guys he's tightest with is Chuck Fletcher of Minnesota, who was the assistant GM in Pittsburgh when they had Bylsma and won the Stanley Cup. So I have a feeling if Fletcher gives Bylsma any kind of good recommendation to Tim Murray, that's going to help Bylsma's situation there.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/769950
    (via http://thesco.re/theScore_app )
    Last edited by DetDannyWilliams; 05-25-2015 at 01:45 PM.

26. Post thanked by:

coastal (05-25-2015),Skooby (05-25-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DetDannyWilliams View Post

Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman joined Calgary's Sportsnet 960 on Monday morning and discussed the coaching vacancy in Buffalo.

Friedman opined that the Buffalo job is the position Bylsma most covets:

Bylsma and Buffalo is going to be an interesting one. I think that's the job he wants, from what I've been told.

He coached Eichel at the worlds. Todd Richards was the head coach and Bylsma was the assistant on the American team. I think that's going to be one of his big selling points. "I coached Eichel. I coached Crosby." Getting the most out of star players, stuff like that. I believe that's going to be his sell job to the Sabres.

And the other thing too is Tim Murray, one of the guys he's tightest with is Chuck Fletcher of Minnesota, who was the assistant GM in Pittsburgh when they had Bylsma and won the Stanley Cup. So I have a feeling if Fletcher gives Bylsma any kind of good recommendation to Tim Murray, that's going to help Bylsma's situation there.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/769950
    (via http://thesco.re/theScore_app )
    We had Babs working a contract, we lost him. Let's not read into anything yet, anything.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Didn't lose him, he just got the offer he wanted from the team he wanted.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    Didn't lose him, he just got the offer he wanted from the team he wanted.
    Well, let's not Jinx it ok ? We don't want to Jinx anything that could be a positive outcome for us. You need to be careful with those things, so I hear.