Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: 'Buffalo Bills: Five Reasons why “Ground n’ Pound” Gameplan is a Bluff'

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Article: 'Buffalo Bills: Five Reasons why “Ground n’ Pound” Gameplan is a Bluff'

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    Karlos Williams fills that description too from the highlights I've seen on Youtube.
    Williams can bounce it outside, and run in between the tackles too.

2. Post thanked by:

Gilly (05-27-2015),Mace (05-24-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Article: 'Buffalo Bills: Five Reasons why “Ground n’ Pound” Gameplan is a Bluff'

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    He's not durable enough. Been on the mend for over 2 years now. He can't stay healthy, and he makes a lot more money than John Miller.
    Who cares about salary when developing a roster? Sure ideally our backup be making less than our starter but sometimes it doesn't happen. It's not the end of the world.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Williams can bounce it outside, and run in between the tackles too.
    He's got some shimmy to his game but I don't see him as a full bounce guy.

5. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-24-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He's got some shimmy to his game but I don't see him as a full bounce guy.
    Looks to me like Williams would rather run it up the middle. Bouncing outside is not his first instinct.

Loved those short yardage runs on the goal line straight up the middle. 6'1 230 lbs. He's a big dude.

6'1 230 running pounds going up against linebackers that weigh 20 or 30 lbs more.

5'11 208 running pounds going up against linebackers that weigh 20 or 30 lbs more.

That's why Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas are in the Hall of Fame.

LeSean McCoy wants to eclipse Adrian Peterson. He is driven to win and be the best running back of all time.

The Bills have some good backup running back insurance in Williams and Jackson.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,488 Times in 9,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Looks to me like Williams would rather run it up the middle. Bouncing outside is not his first instinct.

Loved those short yardage runs on the goal line straight up the middle. 6'1 230 lbs. He's a big dude.
    Karlos supposedly loves contact when he brings his "A" game. Shady not so much. Williams can probably bounce outside a tad better than Shady can move a pile.

But you have to figure they have a good stable of backs heading into camp, with about as much prep for a ground and pound as they could have.

I still crave a bruising back here in any case. Jackson always (to me) plays over his weight but shouldn't have to. For 216 lbs, Jackson plays 240 lbs. Wicked sad shame they haven't to date put a team around him worth his effort.

They have about as much backfield talent as they can have atm though, so let it roll. The running game is sure no bluff though.

8. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-24-2015),Scumbag College (05-24-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Four reasons why "Ground-n-Pound" isn't a bluff.... Cassel, Manuel, Taylor and Tuel

10. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-25-2015),Mace (05-24-2015),Mad Bomber (05-27-2015),WagonCircler (05-24-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Who cares about salary when developing a roster? Sure ideally our backup be making less than our starter but sometimes it doesn't happen. It's not the end of the world.
    Speaking of salary, I heard John Clayton talkk about the Fins salary the other day.

It looks like they will be over the cap next season & will have to let some players go.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Considering the lack of resources devoted to the OL, ground and pound won't be possible
    What are you talking about? 4 draft choices in two years. Signings of Williams, Incognito?

While I don't have the most confidence in last year's 3 draftees - they were rookies. Let's give them this camp, at least, before we give up on them.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sudzy View Post
    Four reasons why "Ground-n-Pound" isn't a bluff.... Cassel, Manuel, Taylor and Tuel
    The best hope is that Cassel turns out to be a poor man's Alex Smith and that they will end up with neither too weighted toward pass or run. Down 1 - run. Down 2 - run. Down 3 - screen pass. Get ready for it.

14. Post thanked by:

better days (05-25-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,525 Times in 17,418 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    I kind of disagree with this if we can change the nuance of ground and pound to pound from the LOS. Lot's of screens and short passes mixed into the run game might be our best chance ....
    I would expect the offense to more closely resemble that...at least early in games. Really, the modern version of the league only sees 'ground and pound' late when you are trying to run out the game with a lead.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,384 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

All I want is the ability to run when we are up late in the game. Trying to kill the clock and then going 3 and out kills me.

17. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Roman might run a lot but he's never been "ground and pound". San Francisco had problems with short yardage runs. He's much more like Chan, creating mismatches and using trickery rather than just pounding the ball up the middle.

19. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    The best hope is that Cassel turns out to be a poor man's Alex Smith and that they will end up with neither too weighted toward pass or run. Down 1 - run. Down 2 - run. Down 3 - screen pass. Get ready for it.
    We agree, but I think the best we can hope for Cassel is he is the next Rich Gannon, a guy that blossomed late in his career.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jimmifli View Post
    Roman might run a lot but he's never been "ground and pound". San Francisco had problems with short yardage runs. He's much more like Chan, creating mismatches and using trickery rather than just pounding the ball up the middle.
    I'd take a Chan offense with this defense.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need beer."
    ~ Frank Zappa

22. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-25-2015),djjimkelly (05-28-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by bleve View Post
    I'd take a Chan offense with this defense.
    Yeah, that's what the Jets said too.

24. Post thanked by:

swiper (05-26-2015)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I see a lot of quick passes and running plays. Few deep drops in the classic pocket.

Makes sense, with a questionable OL. Get the ball in the playmakers hands ASAP.

26. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He's not durable enough. Been on the mend for over 2 years now. He can't stay healthy, and he makes a lot more money than John Miller.
    This is exactly what I was going to say.

Chris Willliams looked decent when he played, the problem was he could not stay on the field & out of the trainers room.

And Chris makes a lot more money then Richardson as well as Miller.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jimmifli View Post
    Yeah, that's what the Jets said too.
    Except Chan has committed to Geno as the starter over the Amish rifle ALREADY.

Did not even wait until TC started. Either Chan really like what he has seen on film from Geno or he really hates Fitz.

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,384 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post

Did not even wait until TC started. Either Chan really like what he has seen on film from Geno or he really hates Fitz.
    Or under orders.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post

What do you mean except? Are you arguing with me or was it just a non sequitur?