Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: 'Buffalo Bills: Five Reasons why “Ground n’ Pound” Gameplan is a Bluff'

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Article: 'Buffalo Bills: Five Reasons why “Ground n’ Pound” Gameplan is a Bluff'

http://isportsweb.com/2015/05/23/buf...an-is-a-bluff/

Quote Originally Posted by isportsweb.com
    Bills fans are growing nervous after listening to the overwhelming “run first and run often” rhetoric given by Head Coach Rex Ryan. With the addition of LeSean McCoy to a crowded background that consists of Fred Jackson, Anthony Dixon, Bryce Brown and rookie Karlos Williams, it is easy to become brain-washed by the ground and pound mentality that Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman is known for as well. To make matters worse, an uncertain quarterback situation that will be filled by a “decent” player at the most, doesn’t quite scream aerial assault either.

Strangely enough, the Bills have five players that provide a more than enough talent to limit the team’s reliance on the running game.

2. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-24-2015),djjimkelly (05-28-2015)

SpikedLemonade

Re: Article: 'Buffalo Bills: Five Reasons why “Ground n’ Pound” Gameplan is a Bluff'

It may very well be a bluff. Having a RB like Shady and a weak OL certainly do not look ground and pound.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,557 Times in 17,441 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Article: 'Buffalo Bills: Five Reasons why “Ground n’ Pound” Gameplan is a Bluff'

Considering the investment in receivers and TE's over the last couple of seasons full-out ground and pound would be a massive waste of resources.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

5. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (05-28-2015),kishoph (05-25-2015),Mace (05-24-2015),swiper (05-25-2015),Topas (05-28-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,296 Times in 13,726 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Considering the investment in receivers and TE's over the last couple of seasons full-out ground and pound would be a massive waste of resources.
    Considering the lack of resources devoted to the OL, ground and pound won't be possible

7. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (05-25-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,219 Times in 3,688 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Considering the lack of resources devoted to the OL, ground and pound won't be possible
    It partially depends on a rookie & a vet who hasn't played in a while.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I kind of disagree with this if we can change the nuance of ground and pound to pound from the LOS. Lot's of screens and short passes mixed into the run game might be our best chance ....

10. Post thanked by:

Meathead (05-24-2015)

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    I believe you are referring to 32 year old Incognito and 3rd round draft pick Miller.

What about the dependency on Glenn who perhaps due to illness had a sub par year last year?

What about the dependency on never been a Pro Bowler Wood who had difficulty anchoring consistently last year?

What about the dependency on Henderson who PFF had ranked 82 out of 84 OTs despite his 1086 snaps?

What about the back up dependency on below average Chris Williams who had a back injury last year plus 2 rookie OLs who barely saw the field last year?

What about the dependency on Urbik to start?

Nothing about the above screams ground and pound.

12. Post thanked by:

coastal (05-24-2015),Meathead (05-24-2015),OpIv37 (05-24-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    I believe you are referring to 32 year old Incognito and 3rd round draft pick Miller.

What about the dependency on Glenn who perhaps due to illness had a sub par year last year?

What about the dependency on never been a Pro Bowler Wood who had difficulty anchoring consistently last year?

What about the dependency on Henderson who PFF had ranked 82 out of 84 OTs despite his 1086 snaps?

What about the back up dependency on below average Chris Williams who had a back injury last year plus 2 rookie OLs who barely saw the field last year?

The only way Chris Williams makes the team is they are concerned about a Williams shortage.

14. Post thanked by:

doormatt (05-25-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Incognito will be better than the guards from last year. His body should be well rested. He did go to the Pro Bowl, so it's not like he's a scrub.

Miller has already impressed the coaches.

Two new solid guards are going to make Eric Wood the player he was in 2013 and the years before. He had a bad year in 2014 because of the lack of talent playing next to him.

Cordy Glenn had no off season conditioning in 2014 because of his illness. He played the season, but he wasn't the same left tackle he was before health problems caused him to miss a lot of workouts. He missed all of training camp and the preseason. Glenn is healthy now, and he's entering his final year of his rookie contract. I expect him to return to form in 2015.

Henderson was very raw at right tackle last year. He needs to improve in 2015.

The coaching staff is going to have a much better influence on the O-line compared to Doug Marrone's heavy handed approach. He wouldn't let the offensive coordinator do his job, and he wouldn't let the offensive line coach do his job either.

The Bills had a good offensive line with Chan Gailey as coach. I expect the Bills to have a good offensive line again with Rex Ryan as coach.

16. Post thanked by:

better days (05-26-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

How many times did you watch the All-22 game footage and saw CJ Spiller miss an open running lane?

Probably about the same amount of times you watched EJ Manuel miss wide open receivers.

The Bills now have a running back with excellent field vision and can run in between the tackles.

McCoy alone is going to make the offensive line look better.

Speaking of field vision, in one of the first videos I posted about Tyrod Taylor his field vision was one of the things that really stood out.

Even if the play broke down, Taylor was able to keep the play alive with his feet and eyes downfield to complete long passes.

Ground, pound, and throw.

18. Post thanked by:

better days (05-26-2015)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Nah, it's a dump off playmaker's short ball game set up by rushing with the odd long ball option.

No way it's a bluff. Roman, Cassel, Shady, Felton, Incognito, Clay, drafting Karlos and O'Leary and run game mauler Miller, Kromer's power/man scheme, Connor, Harvin.

Sometimes the obvious is just the obvious.

20. Post thanked by:

better days (05-26-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    Because lord knows the 2013 NFL is so much different than the 2015 version. Personally Incognitio's missed time to me is a small issue. I mean if he was coming off a season ending injury I'd be more concerned. That said I don't anticipate a lot of traditonal ground and pound either. I think we're going to be a heavy motion team with guys like Sammy, Harvin, Clay and O'Leary playing important parts. Shady too since he's good at catching the ball out of the backfield.

22. Post thanked by:

better days (05-26-2015),BillsImpossible (05-24-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Remember how the Bills wanted to run the no huddle hurry up offense with EJ Manuel?

That's how F'd up the coaching was.

The offensive line play suffered because of coaching incompetence, a running back who couldn't run between the tackles, and a quarterback that couldn't throw.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    The only way Chris Williams makes the team is they are concerned about a Williams shortage.
    Chris brings OG/OT experience. If he doesn't earn a starting spot his flexibility might give him a better chance at ending up on the final 53 vs a guy like Richardson.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    The Bills now have a running back with excellent field vision and can run in between the tackles.
    I'm not sure if you realize McCoy is not a contact runner and has a tendency to dance to the outside without an obvious hole in front of him. A Marshawn Lynch is a between the tackles runner ?

26. Post thanked by:

YardRat (05-25-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I'm not sure if you realize McCoy is not a contact runner and has a tendency to dance to the outside without an obvious hole in front of him. A Marshawn Lynch is a between the tackles runner ?
    Karlos Williams fills that description too from the highlights I've seen on Youtube.

28. Post thanked by:

Mace (05-24-2015)

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

teams rarely go outside of sixty-ish pcent on one side of the run/pass ratio regardless of their specialty so there will still be a lot of passing in g&p. you would hope that all the shiny talent on offense would make those plays count more often
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

30. Post thanked by:

YardRat (05-25-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    Chris brings OG/OT experience. If he doesn't earn a starting spot his flexibility might give him a better chance at ending up on the final 53 vs a guy like Richardson.
    He's not durable enough. Been on the mend for over 2 years now. He can't stay healthy, and he makes a lot more money than John Miller.

32. Post thanked by:

better days (05-26-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    Karlos Williams fills that description too from the highlights I've seen on Youtube.
    Absolutely. I kind of secretly loved the pick though it made me raise an eyebrow.

34. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-24-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Absolutely. I kind of secretly loved the pick though it made me raise an eyebrow.
    I didn't secretly love the pick, I openly loved it. He's not a saint, but he's not OJ either.

Williams can run between the tackles better than McCoy. He's a bigger back.

Williams is 6'1 and 230 lbs. McCoy is 5'11 and 208 lbs.

"208."