Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are The Buffalo Bills Playing To Win or Playing Not To Lose In 2015?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Are The Buffalo Bills Playing To Win or Playing Not To Lose In 2015?

Matt Cassel might as well have, "Game Manager," tattooed on his forehead. I love him as the Bills backup QB, but to have him start would be a waste of precious future franchise quarterback finding time.

Matt Cassel also comes with the, "Playing Not To Lose," tag permanently attached to his jersey.

Great quarterbacks make great plays to win championships. The game manager types seldom rise up to the occasion.

Matt Cassel might be good enough to take the Bills to 9-7, again. He's not good enough to lead this team to a Super Bowl victory.

So why bother? Why repeat last year with Orton 2.0? Just for the sake of making the playoffs?

F*&+ the playoffs, this team should be aiming for the Super Bowl, not the damned playoffs.

The Bills had to do everything under the sun to protect EJ Manuel in 2014. They didn't let Manuel try to win the game, they wanted him to manage it with simple plays that he simply could not execute. If he couldn't make the simple plays, what gives anyone good reason to think he can make the hard plays? EJ's a great guy, but he's not the answer.

The Bills have been playing not to lose for how long now?

Play to win. If the plan fails nobody can say the Bills didn't try and they pick early in the 1st round of the 2016 NFL Draft to select their future franchise QB.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 843 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Are The Buffalo Bills Playing To Win or Playing Not To Lose In 2015?

This thread is not one of your better ones.... Before you can win the SuperBowl you need to make the playoffs.. And Im fairly certain regardless of the QB situation they will play to win games

On 2nd thought I kinda see the point of this thread.. Since you think Tyrod Taylor is destined to be a"superstar" you don't see the point of Matt Cassel being the Bills starting QB
    Last edited by Ginger Vitis; 05-26-2015 at 08:32 PM.

3. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-27-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think Rex & Roman are looking to win games.

As many as they can.

I expect them to start the QB that they believe will give them the best chance at doing that.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The best example I can think of in the past a Bills team playing to try and keep the game close and not lose big was the 2006 Buffalo Bills and "Jauron" ball.. Ill always remember that year the Bills were in Indy and on one drive in tbe 2nd quarter it was was 3rd and 14 and Losman handed it off to Anthony Thomas.. Next drive same thing 3rd and 14 or 15 and another running play was called for Anthony Thomas...

Mission accomplished the COlts only beat the Bills by a point 17-16

6. Post thanked by:

better days (05-27-2015),BillsImpossible (05-27-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
    The best example I can think of in the past a Bills team playing to try and keep the game close and not lose big was the 2006 Buffalo Bills and "Jauron" ball.. Ill always remember that year the Bills were in Indy and on one drive in tbe 2nd quarter it was was 3rd and 14 and Losman handed it off to Anthony Thomas.. Next drive same thing 3rd and 14 or 15 and another running play was called for Anthony Thomas...

Mission accomplished the COlts only beat the Bills by a point 17-16
    Dick Jauron: " It's hard to win in the NFL."

Yeah it is hard to win if you are playing not to lose.

8. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-27-2015),DynaPaul (05-29-2015),Ginger Vitis (05-27-2015),justasportsfan (05-27-2015),Night Train (05-27-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,470 Times in 7,087 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Look at Sexy Rexy's defensive philosophy. It's aggressive. It doesn't play to lose. It attacks because Rexy has a attacking personality. So I don't think his offense will play not to lose either. Even when his jets stunk last year, Geno/Vick attempted to make plays.

Dick Jauron is reactive. He plays not to lose on both sides of the ball. Even his OC's said so.
    Last edited by justasportsfan; 05-27-2015 at 09:06 AM.

10. Post thanked by:

better days (05-27-2015),BillsImpossible (05-27-2015)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The incredible amount of moves during this off-season screams Full Speed Ahead.

Rex & Co. expect to win right away.

12. Post thanked by:

better days (05-27-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BillsImpossible View Post
    Matt Cassel might as well have, "Game Manager," tattooed on his forehead. I love him as the Bills backup QB, but to have him start would be a waste of precious future franchise quarterback finding time.

Matt Cassel also comes with the, "Playing Not To Lose," tag permanently attached to his jersey.

Great quarterbacks make great plays to win championships. The game manager types seldom rise up to the occasion.

Matt Cassel might be good enough to take the Bills to 9-7, again. He's not good enough to lead this team to a Super Bowl victory.

So why bother? Why repeat last year with Orton 2.0? Just for the sake of making the playoffs?

F*&+ the playoffs, this team should be aiming for the Super Bowl, not the damned playoffs.

The Bills had to do everything under the sun to protect EJ Manuel in 2014. They didn't let Manuel try to win the game, they wanted him to manage it with simple plays that he simply could not execute. If he couldn't make the simple plays, what gives anyone good reason to think he can make the hard plays? EJ's a great guy, but he's not the answer.

Play to win. If the plan fails nobody can say the Bills didn't try and they pick early in the 1st round of the 2016 NFL Draft to select their future franchise QB.
    So go find that franchise qb you seem to think is out there, I will wait.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,943 Times in 3,495 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

how profound. Can I quote you on this?

So why bother?
    Pretty sure part of the Bills charter requires us to field a team every year

F*&+ the playoffs
    That was Ralph's approach for the last 15 years and he succeeded. Can't we at least try the playoffs? I've seen a lot of those games on TV and they look like fun

Maybe not. But he was green and not ready to start. He did pretty much what most intelligent people expected, not much. Making the game more complicated would not have helped him. He was/is a project. Sort of like your binky Tie Rod. The plus for Tie Rod is he's had longer to learn what an NFL QB needs to do. Both Manuel and Tie Rod have accuracy issues. Tie Rod is faster but shorter. We'll see. All 3 QB's will get some chances. I'm one of the few here that hasn't written Manuel off, it's still early.

mediocre players and mediocre coaching is more like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W42iiCcFbxE

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/art...fb_buf_article
    “We had the two-spot drills, which we talked about, where you’ve got the first and second groups going on one part of the field and the threes going on the other,” Ryan said Monday night, in an appearance on The John Murphy Show. Quarterbacks EJ Manuel and Matt Cassel worked primarily with the first and second teamers at one end of the field, while QBs Tyrod Taylor and Jeff Tuel worked at the other end with the rest of the roster.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    Look at Sexy Rexy's defensive philosophy. It's aggressive. It doesn't play to lose. It attacks because Rexy has a attacking personality. So I don't think his offense will play not to lose either. Even when his jets stunk last year, Geno/Vick attempted to make plays.

Dick Jauron is reactive. He plays not to lose on both sides of the ball. Even his OC's said so.
    Really good points. Great comparison between Ryan and Jauron, it's a perfect example of playing to win vs. playing not to lose.

Even when the Jets knew Geno would make mistakes, they played to win.

The plan didn't work, they finished 4-12, but at least they got the best defensive player in the draft out it.

Matt Cassel is in the playing not to lose category of quarterbacks. He's a notch below the Tannehill's, Dalton's, and Smith's of the NFL world.

"Just get to the playoffs," should not be the goal. That's playing not to lose.

"Just manage the game, don't make mistakes, and be conservative with the football." That philosophy might make the playoffs, but that's about it.

Playoffs or not, a 9-7 or 10-6 or better season with Cassel at quarterback would really suck because the Bills would be drafting late in the first round with the same playing not to lose problem at QB.

If the Bills are going to win a Super Bowl in the near future, they're going to do it with a quarterback that takes chances, makes big plays and plays to win.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This thread is not one of your better ones.... Before you can win the SuperBowl you need to make the playoffs.. And Im fairly certain regardless of the QB situation they will play to win games

On 2nd thought I kinda see the point of this thread.. Since you think Tyrod Taylor is destined to be a"superstar" you don't see the point of Matt Cassel being the Bills starting QB
    I hope he turns into the NFL's next superstar, I don't know if he is destined to become one, but there's only one way to find out, right?

You're right, I don't see the point of Matt Cassel being the Bills starting QB. He is what he is, and he's not going to win a Super Bowl Championship for the Bills.

He's good enough to get into the playoffs at most. He's a temporary patch on a persistent quarterback problem that is going to do nothing besides give the Bills a late first round draft pick.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I heard something really scary on WGR today.

Sal Capaccio said, "Matt Cassel could be the Bills quarterback for the next 2 or 3 years," if he has a good season.

Bulldog sounded like he wanted to smash his microphone and jump off the Peace Bridge.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Zoneblitser View Post
    So go find that franchise qb you seem to think is out there, I will wait.
    There's only one way to find out. I'd rather, "tank," with Tyrod Taylor than swin and eventually sink with Cassel in the playoffs.

Hypothetical situation #1: Matt Cassel takes the Bills to their first playoff appearance since 1999 and finishes the regular season 10-6.

The Bills lose to a playoff team with a better quarterback, and end up with the 25th pick in the 1st round of the 2016 NFL Draft.

Hypothetical situation #2: Tyrod Taylor wins the starting job and flunks the season. The Bills finish 4-12 and get the 4th overall pick in the draft.

Which hypothetical situation would you rather have happen?

#1 sounds nice, would be a great short term boost but a long term bust.

#2 sounds bad, would be difficult to deal with but in the long term would be the best thing to ever happen to the team.

No, I'm not talking about the Sabres, but I am talking about how Terry and Kim Pegula might be viewing this situation.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

No, I'm not talking about the Sabres, but I am talking about how Terry and Kim Pegula might be viewing this situation.
    In regards to the Bills "tanking" is the last thing the Pegulas are thinking

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Cutting to the chase, the Bills are intending to win playing not to lose, and it just might work this time.

22. Post thanked by:

Zoneblitser (05-28-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

In regards to the Bills "tanking" is the last thing the Pegulas are thinking
    Why would anyone ever tank such a thing?

Maybe because the Bills haven't had a franchise quarterback since 1996.

EJ Manuel is not a franchise quarterback. Matt Cassel is not a franchise quarterback either.

If the Bills give Tyrod Taylor a shot at being their franchise QB and he fails, both sides win.

Fans win, the Pegulas win, the coaching staff wins, and Buffalo wins with an early 1st round draft pick that will without a doubt be spent on a quarterback.

Next year's draft has more than a couple of potential great quarterback prospects.

If the Bills give Tyrod Taylor a shot at being their franchise QB and he takes the Bills to the playoffs in his first season, I think the Bills will win a Super Bowl within the next 3 years. Not having to pay a quarterback $20 million a season can keep the Bills defense where it needs to be.

The Seahawks are paying Russel Wilson 3rd round rookie money! That's why their defense is so good.

Besides having to sign Dareus to a $100 million contract, the Bills will be faced with trying to resign Bradham and Gilmore after the 2015 season.

Kyle Williams? Mario Williams? Both have huge cap hits.

If Tyrod Taylor takes the Bills to the playoffs in 2015, signing Dareus, Bradham and Gilmore will be a lot easier.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Why would anyone ever tank such a thing?

Maybe because the Bills haven't had a franchise quarterback since 1996.

EJ Manuel is not a franchise quarterback. Matt Cassel is not a franchise quarterback either.

If the Bills give Tyrod Taylor a shot at being their franchise QB and he fails, both sides win.

Fans win, the Pegulas win, the coaching staff wins, and Buffalo wins with an early 1st round draft pick that will without a doubt be spent on a quarterback.

Next year's draft has more than a couple of potential great quarterback prospects.

If the Bills give Tyrod Taylor a shot at being their franchise QB and he takes the Bills to the playoffs in his first season, I think the Bills will win a Super Bowl within the next 3 years. Not having to pay a quarterback $20 million a season can keep the Bills defense where it needs to be.

The Seahawks are paying Russel Wilson 3rd round rookie money! That's why their defense is so good.

Besides having to sign Dareus to a $100 million contract, the Bills will be faced with trying to resign Bradham and Gilmore after the 2015 season.

Kyle Williams? Mario Williams? Both have huge cap hits.

If Tyrod Taylor takes the Bills to the playoffs in 2015, signing Dareus, Bradham and Gilmore will be a lot easier.
    The coaching staff does not win if the Bills go 4-12... Rex Ryan guaranteed the Bills are going to the playoffs and they better do it ASAP as in 2015

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The coaching staff does not win if the Bills go 4-12... Rex Ryan guaranteed the Bills are going to the playoffs and they better do it ASAP as in 2015
    Nah, lets be honest.

26. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (05-27-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Playing not to lose is what this city has done for the past 60 years. It's time to win.