Thread: Ryan using lessons learned with Jets to shape Bills tenure

Thanks
    Thanked 2,420 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Ryan using lessons learned with Jets to shape Bills tenure

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...e-bills-tenure

But there is something different this time around, something Ryan himself believes will make a huge impact.

In 2009, the New York Jets chose him to be their head coach. In 2015, he chose what became important to him.

"I've had six years of experience," he said Wednesday, a few feet away from the field where he held his second OTA session as the newest coach of the Buffalo Bills. "So am I gonna be better now? Of course. You're not gonna be worse by having experience. The other thing is understanding what's important, because the second time, I was lucky -- I got to choose where to go. The thing about that was, go to an organization where you see the direction, and it's the same direction (you believe in)."

......."When I look back on it, I looked at when I should've been more upfront with the owner," Ryan said. "I think that was a big thing: 'Look, we got some issues, this needs to be resolved.' I knew what was gonna happen. We all knew it. But now, there's no way in hell (that happens again). If I'm going down, I'm going down swinging. And if it happens, it's gonna be, 'Here's some issues we need to fix.' And hit them head on."

That way, problems are eradicated rather than managed, which keeps them from festering. If the vision is splintered -- which seemed to happen often in New York, where so many Band-Aid fixes were applied -- that should be recognized before there's a full-blown corruption of the plan.

"You have to roll the exact same way, and we don't need anybody that's gonna be an anchor to this team or have a hidden agenda," Ryan continued. "Once you chop all that off, we're gonna be pretty good. And again, we may not get to where we wanna go -- we wanna paddle to a damn Super Bowl, everyone gets that. We may end up somewhere else, but at least we're gonna go together."

There's still plenty to figure out, of course. First and foremost, Ryan has to settle on a quarterback. And the Bills' offensive line has some issues to sort through.

But to play
    that’s the thing
    shut up and deal
    ~ Jesse May

Thanks
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 842 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Ryan using lessons learned with Jets to shape Bills tenure

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightVoice View Post

and we don't need anybody that's gonna be an anchor to this team or have a hidden agenda," Ryan continued.
    Ooooh nice veiled shot at John Idzik

3. Post thanked by:

better days (05-29-2015)

SpikedLemonade

I hope Ryan learned to keep his hands off the offense.

5. Post thanked by:

Mace (05-30-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    I don't want Rex designing the play book but I think if he sees where his defense has been on the field a d he wants to ground and pound then as HC he should be calling the tempo of the game.

SpikedLemonade

Quote Originally Posted by Zoneblitser View Post
    I don't want Rex designing the play book but I think if he sees where his defense has been on the field a d he wants to ground and pound then as HC he should be calling the tempo of the game.
    I'm all for a conservative run game to go along with an elite defense, but Rex has shown no ability to evaluate offensive players while he was with the Jets.

I agree he should decide the offensive philosophy going into the game, but when the game starts he should let his OC call the game. Rex does have the advantage of a very experienced OC now so he should not interfere.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    Ryan never took any part in the offense. That was a huge part of his failing in NY. A head coach must be involved in all aspects of the game. Otherwise he is a glorified DC. Which is what Ryan is.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,400 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    Ryan never took any part in the offense. That was a huge part of his failing in NY. A head coach must be involved in all aspects of the game. Otherwise he is a glorified DC. Which is what Ryan is.
    And there are plenty examples of glorified "one side" HC being successful in NFL. Belichick, Carroll, Peyton, McCarthey, just to name a few.

Truthfully I don't believe Belichick has a vision as a HC. He's brilliant defensive mind. But on offense, he pretty much rely on the QB. In Cleveland, he has Kosar, OK QB. In NE, he lucked into Brady. Remember his 1st title at NE. Stout Defense and ST. Run A. Smith. And he won with a so-so Brady at time. In a way for the Bills, I can relate it to Jauron who pretty much took the similar approach (D, ST, rely on QB on offense). But Jauron luked into Edwards and his D talent recognition skills is far inferior. Gailey has no clear vision for a team what-so-ever, especially on defense. Marrone has an eye for D-coordinator, but too confident that he can mold/develop QBs in NFL.

I view Rex sort of between Wade Philips and Bill Cowher type of HC. Strong D background, has a vision for the team overall; more of a leader than Philips, but not as good as Cowher. Given a GM who shares his vision, his team can win in NFL, even somewhat consistently. But to bring in the ultimate prize, he needs to have the QB luck -- not necessarily drafting a franchise QB (which is very very difficult), but just a one hit wonder type who has an MVP type of season before being figured out.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    And there are plenty examples of glorified "one side" HC being successful in NFL. Belichick, Carroll, Peyton, McCarthey, just to name a few.

Truthfully I don't believe Belichick has a vision as a HC. He's brilliant defensive mind. But on offense, he pretty much rely on the QB. In Cleveland, he has Kosar, OK QB. In NE, he lucked into Brady. Remember his 1st title at NE. Stout Defense and ST. Run A. Smith. And he won with a so-so Brady at time. In a way for the Bills, I can relate it to Jauron who pretty much took the similar approach (D, ST, rely on QB on offense). But Jauron luked into Edwards and his D talent recognition skills is far inferior. Gailey has no clear vision for a team what-so-ever, especially on defense. Marrone has an eye for D-coordinator, but too confident that he can mold/develop QBs in NFL.

I view Rex sort of between Wade Philips and Bill Cowher type of HC. Strong D background, has a vision for the team overall; more of a leader than Philips, but not as good as Cowher. Given a GM who shares his vision, his team can win in NFL, even somewhat consistently. But to bring in the ultimate prize, he needs to have the QB luck -- not necessarily drafting a franchise QB (which is very very difficult), but just a one hit wonder type who has an MVP type of season before being figured out.
    This is the same guy that posted the dumb thread about the LB doing an interview in a sweatshirt after practice.

The coaches you mentioned DID get involved in the other side of the ball - therefore making them good coaches - and very different from Rex Ryan.

Do you read what you write? Oaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Bills will be a perfect sequel for Ryan.

12. Post thanked by:

better days (05-30-2015),djjimkelly (05-30-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 749 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He isn't afraid to go for it on 4th and 1.
    Roman will call the offense and he will make the big decisions.

I know for damn sure he will not be punting on the other teams 38 yd. line.

14. Post thanked by:

better days (05-30-2015),Historian (05-31-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by k-oneputt View Post
    He isn't afraid to go for it on 4th and 1.
    Roman will call the offense and he will make the big decisions.

I know for damn sure he will not be punting on the other teams 38 yd. line.
    Reading Jets boards over the years, the one big knock on Rex I have read is his clock management.

Hopefully Roman helps with that.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Reading Jets boards over the years, the one big knock on Rex I have read is his clock management.

Hopefully Roman helps with that.
    His clock management was really bad. And going for it on 4th and 1 is not always a smart thing. Especially if the other team stops you.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I love how the media still wants to bait Rex into creating sound-bytes for them so they can manufacture a "story." They do this even when he doesn't bite. You can tell that he's learned to temper his responses quite a bit, although his personality is still brash.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    I love how the media still wants to bait Rex into creating sound-bytes for them so they can manufacture a "story." They do this even when he doesn't bite. You can tell that he's learned to temper his responses quite a bit, although his personality is still brash.
    He has toned it down. But he has to learn to put his money where his mouth is. I'll believe it when I see it.

19. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    His clock management was really bad. And going for it on 4th and 1 is not always a smart thing. Especially if the other team stops you.
    The thing is the Bills defense is so good, I think Rex has faith in them to get the ball back without giving up any points if the Bills offense turns the ball over on 4th down.

I don't expect to see the Bills go for it on 4th down in the shadows of their own end zone, not until they are at about midfield at least.