Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roger Goodell has a big problem...

Registered User CommissarSpartacus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,930 Times in 13,282 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Roger Goodell has a big problem...

Just heard on the radio that the date for Tom Brady's appeal to be heard by Roger the Dodger on June 23.

Goodell's problem is this. The three possible rulings are...

1. He upholds the previous ruling of a four game suspension.

2. He reduces the suspension to, say, two games.

3. He overturns Troy Vincent's ruling and throws the whole thing out.

If he does 1., Brady will take his case to District Court, as per the CBA, and the District Court will overturn his suspension, making him look like a fool and weakling.

If he does 2., the same thing happens as 1., with the same result.

If he does the smart thing, number 3., and overturns it himself, announcing that the case is a tempest in a teapot, but to satisfy the haters new protocals will be put in place to make sure the air pressure in the balls never becomes an issue again. That way he rescues the reputation of the league's premier player and the reputation of the NFL for being big boys who handle their dirty laundry in a way that doesn't smear the whole league.

The downside of that, of course, is that millions and millions of non-Pats fans and SOME of the other owners will be OUTRAGED, to say the least.

So, what does he do?

Does he continue this farce and wind up looking like a nincompoop, but with the haters' support or does he end it and wind up being hated by the majority of the fan base?

Either way, not a pleasant prospect.

But there is only ONE way he can look strong, but will he have the courage to stand up to the lynch mob?

We'll see....
    Last edited by CommissarSpartacus; 05-30-2015 at 09:21 AM.
    My tebya razdavim

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Roger Goodell has a big problem...

If Brady takes his case to court, he will have to turn over his phone for inspection.

I would love to see that happen.

3. Post thanked by:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

BillsImpossible (05-30-2015),Blondie (05-30-2015),coastal (05-31-2015),DynaPaul (05-30-2015),Goobylal (05-30-2015),Night Train (05-30-2015),Novacane (05-30-2015),SeatownBillsFan21 (05-30-2015),Skooby (05-30-2015),Strongman (05-30-2015),Yasgur's Farm (05-30-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    If Brady takes his case to court, he will have to turn over his phone for inspection.

Great point!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,831 Times in 2,091 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Just heard on the radio that the date for Tom Brady's appeal to be heard by Roger the Dodger on June 23.

Goodell's problem is this. The three possible rulings are...

1. He upholds the previous ruling of a four game suspension.

2. He reduces the suspension to, say, two games.

3. He overturns Troy Vincent's ruling and throws the whole thing out.

If he does 1., Brady will take his case to District Court, as per the CBA, and the District Court will overturn his suspension, making him look like a fool and weakling.

If he does 2., the same thing happens as 1., with the same result.

If he does the smart thing, number 3., and overturns it himself, announcing that the case is a tempest in a teapot, but to satisfy the haters new protocals will be put in place to make sure the air pressure in the balls never becomes an issue again. That way he rescues the reputation of the league's premier player and the reputation of the NFL for being big boys who handle their dirty laundry in a way that doesn't smear the whole league.

The downside of that, of course, is that millions and millions of non-Pats fans and SOME of the other owners will be OUTRAGED, to say the least.

So, what does he do?

Does he continue this farce and wind up looking like a nincompoop, but with the haters' support or does he end it and wind up being hated by the majority of the fan base?

Either way, not a pleasant prospect.

But there is only ONE way he can look strong, but will he have the courage to stand up to the lynch mob?

We'll see....
    1st thing he does is kick you out of the room & tells Brady to pull his pants up.

6. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (05-30-2015),HHURRICANE (05-30-2015),Novacane (05-30-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,336 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Nope. if brady appeals to a court he HAS to turn over his cell phone and provide the court all his personal comunications including emails. Furthermore the two fired pats employees who the pats prevented talking to the NFL more then once would be required to talk to investigators and in court with serious criminal charges awaiting them if they lie.

Brady has completely refused the NFL on this point. and the Pats kept those two men employed just long enough to thwart the investigation then fired them once the league stopped the investigation, i highly doubt either will sing the company line in a real legal investigation.

No, Brady won't appeal this to anything outside the league once Goodell is done with his review of the appeal.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

8. Post thanked by:

BertSquirtgum (05-30-2015),Cntrygal (06-05-2015),coastal (05-31-2015),Goobylal (05-30-2015),Lone Stranger (05-30-2015),Night Train (05-30-2015),YardRat (05-30-2015),Yasgur's Farm (05-30-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,693 Times in 7,754 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I've bookmarked this thread so when Sparky is proven to be totally wrong again, we can remind him.

10. Post thanked by:

swiper (05-30-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,525 Times in 17,418 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

1. Assuming a District Court will overturn the suspension is a huge assumption, not fact.

2. I can't find anywhere in the CBA language that pertains to "District Court, as per the CBA", if somebody could point it out I'd appreciate it.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post

I expect he has multiple cell phones. And clearing off call history is a snap. At least it is on my dumb, pay-as you-go phone. OTOH, on these so-called "smart" phones - I'm doubtful.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If the suspension is negated or reduced everyone loses. It just goes to show that you can skirt the rules and the league will try to downplay or cover it up to give us the illusion that there's integrity.

14. Post thanked by:

Blondie (05-30-2015),coastal (05-31-2015),swiper (05-30-2015),YardRat (05-30-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33 View Post
    Nope. if brady appeals to a court he HAS to turn over his cell phone and provide the court all his personal comunications including emails. Furthermore the two fired pats employees who the pats prevented talking to the NFL more then once would be required to talk to investigators and in court with serious criminal charges awaiting them if they lie.
    So, you think this is all a big bluff, and Brady won't take it past Goodell's appeal?

And even so, you're sure that if Brady has to turn over his cell phone and the two boys have to testify, that he's a dead duck?

If so, why is Brady challenging this, rather than throwing himself on the mercy of the King Roger? The longer he goes without backing down, the worse it's gonna look if he eventually backs down.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    I've bookmarked this thread so when Sparky is proven to be totally wrong again, we can remind him.
    What is is about football that turns you into a knuckle-dragging troglodyte? Tell me, as I've done nothing but provide alternatives, what am I going to be wrong about?

You know, when you behave like this in the football forum, you provide a bad example for the wingnuts in the Spin 2one.

17. Post thanked by:

Blondie (05-30-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Why couldn't you have posted this in the 100+ page "Everything Brady and Patriots"? I know you would love nothing more then to have a thousand threads about Brady, but, this is a Bills message board. I really don't want to have to sort through 3 pages of threads of you whining about your idol Tom Brady to read about the Bills.

19. Post thanked by:

Luisito23 (05-30-2015),yanklovver (05-30-2015),Yasgur's Farm (05-30-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Alternative... "Roger Goodell has a big problem"...alternative.
    LMAO

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    2. I can't find anywhere in the CBA language that pertains to "District Court, as per the CBA", if somebody could point it out I'd appreciate it.
    I was listening to Bob McCown's show on AM590 a couple of days ago when they had on a guy named Allan Walsh, who's a sports agent (not of anyone involved) who's also a lawyer specifically to talk about the appeal. He said he'd read the entire report as well and the union's rebuttal as was being asked about what happened next. He's the guy who said that the CBA included a provision that allowed a member to take a case to District Court if they weren't satisfied with the appeal verdict.

Remember, that's what happend in the Vilma case, except in reverse.

Vilma took his year long suspension to appeal, an arbitrator over-turned it and then GOODELL took it to district court, where the arbitrator was upheld.

Now, if you want to prove Allan Walsh, and by association me, wrong on this point, then be my guest, but I doubt the union would EVER sign a CBA that said Goodell was God and his word was final on every subject.
    Last edited by CommissarSpartacus; 05-30-2015 at 11:30 AM.

22. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sudzy View Post
    Why couldn't you have posted this in the 100+ page "Everything Brady and Patriots"? I know you would love nothing more then to have a thousand threads about Brady, but, this is a Bills message board. I really don't want to have to sort through 3 pages of threads of you whining about your idol Tom Brady to read about the Bills.
    Why don't you stay out of my ****ing thread if it bothers you so much?

I guarantee you I won't whine about your absence.

24. Post thanked by:

Blondie (05-30-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DynaPaul View Post
    If the suspension is negated or reduced everyone loses.
    EVERYONE loses?

I doubt it, but we all know the haters will be pissed...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Roger Goodell has a big problem...
    So do you...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

EVERYONE loses?

I doubt it, but we all know the haters will be pissed...
    The haters being 31 other teams, so yeah, everyone loses.

Buffalo Bills Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,341 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    Alternative... "Roger Goodell has a big problem"...alternative.
    LMAO
    Heh. What problems could Roger have? Pulls down millions every year, in a job far removed from work like hogging out sewage lines, has a face devoid of a big nose or zits or droopy ears etc. (vital in today's image-driven culture), has a fine speaking voice.

Mr. Roger is sitting on the top of the world.

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I was listening to Bob McCown's show on AM590 a couple of days ago when they had on a guy named Allan Walsh, who's a sports agent (not of anyone involved) who's also a lawyer specifically to talk about the appeal. He said he'd read the entire report as well and the union's rebuttal as was being asked about what happened next. He's the guy who said that the CBA included a provision that allowed a member to take a case to District Court if they weren't satisfied with the appeal verdict.

Remember, that's what happend in the Vilma case, except in reverse.

Vilma took his year long suspension to appeal, an arbitrator over-turned it and then GOODELL took it to district court, where the arbitrator was upheld.

Now, if you want to prove Allan Walsh, and by association me, wrong on this point, then be my guest, but I doubt the union would EVER sign a CBA that said Goodell was God and his word was final on every subject.
    There's no language in the CBA that I can find that gives a direct right to appeal to the district court. (https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com...-2011-2020.pdf) However, you always have the right to file a lawsuit over a contract. If you have bargained away your right to a lawsuit, via mandatory arbitration or something, then you may lose very quickly. But you always have the right to have a court interpret that provision and determine if it complies with the law. That's what Vilma did when he sued (http://cbssports.com/images/blogs/vi...nt09182012.pdf)

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

30. Post thanked by:

CommissarSpartacus (05-30-2015),Lone Stranger (05-30-2015),YardRat (05-30-2015)