Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo to Stream NFL’s Bills-Jaguars Game

Thanks
    Thanked 26,214 Times in 13,680 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Yahoo to Stream NFL’s Bills-Jaguars Game

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    No there won't be. Stop being so melodramatic.
    People have a breaking point.

Baseball was huge before the '94 strike and it took the steroid-fueled home run derby to bring it back.

The Redskins have lost a generation of fans, due to a combination of being a 2-team market with the much better Ravens and Snyder pricing people out of going to the games.

Nothing is untouchable, no matter how ingrained in the culture it may seem.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,427 Times in 14,146 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    People have a breaking point.

Baseball was huge before the '94 strike and it took the steroid-fueled home run derby to bring it back.

The Redskins have lost a generation of fans, due to a combination of being a 2-team market with the much better Ravens and Snyder pricing people out of going to the games.

Nothing is untouchable, no matter how ingrained in the culture it may seem.
    Sure they do, but neither example you cited has anything to do with what the NFL is currently. Also the Skins sucking for a while and the Ravens winning a Super Bowl also was by far the largest factor.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Sure they do, but neither example you cited has anything to do with what the NFL is currently. Also the Skins sucking for a while and the Ravens winning a Super Bowl also was by far the largest factor.
    It absolutely has to do with what the NFL is currently.

The Redskins took their fans for granted because they were local. Fans are bred when kids watch the games on TV and occasionally their dad takes them to a home game. But when the dads could no longer afford to take their kids to a game and breed that loyalty, and a better team was on TV for free every week, the fans Snyder took for granted were lost.

The league as a whole is doing the same things now. Goodell is pushing family-friendly "fan conduct policies" even as the league prices most families out of the game and hypocritically pushes a party atmosphere through alcohol advertisers and alcohol sales in stadiums. Goodell is alienating die-hard fans with things like these international games and "flex games" because he assumes they will always be there. It's the same mistake Snyder made on a larger level. He's assuming his product is so great that people will be willing to keep paying for it, even as prices increase and the experience decreases. He hasn't hit the breaking point yet, but there is a breaking point.

4. Post thanked by:

better days (06-03-2015),Thurmal (06-04-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't believe the London game has been on national TV the past few years. Not sure why you're assuming the Bills/Jags would of been.

My experience will be great, I've been using ESPN3 for years and it's been great. This is the future and I can't wait for it become this way for every game in every league.
    Last year, since the game was moved to 9:00 AM it has been on National TV.

And I will bet you if the other London game is on at 9:00 AM, it will be on National TV as well.

And if a few people stream, that is one thing, but we will see what happens when Bills Nation streams that game.

And for me even if I get a good stream with no buffering at all, it won't be as good an experience as watching the game on my TIVO.

6. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (06-03-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The Redskins took their fans for granted because they were local. Fans are bred when kids watch the games on TV and occasionally their dad takes them to a home game. But when the dads could no longer afford to take their kids to a game and breed that loyalty, and a better team was on TV for free every week, the fans Snyder took for granted were lost.

The league as a whole is doing the same things now. Goodell is pushing family-friendly "fan conduct policies" even as the league prices most families out of the game and hypocritically pushes a party atmosphere through alcohol advertisers and alcohol sales in stadiums. Goodell is alienating die-hard fans with things like these international games and "flex games" because he assumes they will always be there. It's the same mistake Snyder made on a larger level. He's assuming his product is so great that people will be willing to keep paying for it, even as prices increase and the experience decreases. He hasn't hit the breaking point yet, but there is a breaking point.
    A couple more points Op, when I was a kid, baseball was played mostly during the day. Even the World Series.

Teachers would put the World Series game on TV in school & not teach while the game was on.

Baseball was KING. Now it has been knocked off its throne by Football, especially the NFL because baseball stopped cultivating its audience of YOUNG fans, showing BIG games when they had to go to sleep.

And when the NFL started its own channel, the NFL Network, it was geared towards the hardcore fan. I LOVED it.

I hardly watch it anymore except for Thursday night football because it is now like a woman's talk show.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The Redskins having poor business sense and out pricing their own fan base has nothing to to do with the NFL choosing to stream a game online. You know that, that's why the comparison does not work. Additionally had the Redskins made better football decisions then they wouldn't have seen the turn they did.

Your second example of hypocrisy has nothing to do with alienating fans either. We've seen countless fans on this very site come and state that at times the atmosphere in The Ralph is inappropriate. Not to mention that didn't the Bills lead the league in DUI related accidents after games only a couple of years ago? I don't think this policy alienates anybody, they've simply continued to drink in their tailgate areas as opposed to inside the stadium. Additionally most teams are reporting record breaking revenues across the board including in alcohol sales, so not sure how you're quantifying people being alienated, unless you're trying to base it off people *****ing on the internet which represents a total of less than 1% of actual NFL fans.

The difference between Snyder and Goodell is in their product, Goodell's product right now is that great. Everything that the NFL is doing right now is gold. Look at the timing of the schedule release two weeks out from the draft so build the PR buzzsaw. Look at the multiple positive reports from the NFL Draft being in Chicago and all that was associated with it. NFL stadiums are being built faster now than ever before, TV ratings are up, and league revenues are up. Will this last forever? Of course not, but you're picking little insignificant items that won't alienate people. They'll just be an irritant that most will forget about in 24-48 hours.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The Redskins having poor business sense and out pricing their own fan base has nothing to to do with the NFL choosing to stream a game online. You know that, that's why the comparison does not work. Additionally had the Redskins made better football decisions then they wouldn't have seen the turn they did.

Your second example of hypocrisy has nothing to do with alienating fans either. We've seen countless fans on this very site come and state that at times the atmosphere in The Ralph is inappropriate. Not to mention that didn't the Bills lead the league in DUI related accidents after games only a couple of years ago? I don't think this policy alienates anybody, they've simply continued to drink in their tailgate areas as opposed to inside the stadium. Additionally most teams are reporting record breaking revenues across the board including in alcohol sales, so not sure how you're quantifying people being alienated, unless you're trying to base it off people *****ing on the internet which represents a total of less than 1% of actual NFL fans.

The difference between Snyder and Goodell is in their product, Goodell's product right now is that great. Everything that the NFL is doing right now is gold. Look at the timing of the schedule release two weeks out from the draft so build the PR buzzsaw. Look at the multiple positive reports from the NFL Draft being in Chicago and all that was associated with it. NFL stadiums are being built faster now than ever before, TV ratings are up, and league revenues are up. Will this last forever? Of course not, but you're picking little insignificant items that won't alienate people. They'll just be an irritant that most will forget about in 24-48 hours.
    I don't remember anything being written that the Bills led the NFL in DWI accidents.

Do you have a link for that, or are you just pulling that out of your ass?

And even if you are correct about Buffalo leading in that, Op was talking about the hypocrisy of the NFL saying it wants to promote a family atmosphere out of one side of its mouth & embracing alcohol advertising & sales out of the other.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    I don't remember anything being written that the Bills led the NFL in DWI accidents.

And even if you are correct about Buffalo leading in that, Op was talking about the hypocrisy of the NFL saying it wants to promote a family atmosphere out of one side of its mouth & embracing alcohol advertising & sales out of the other.
    Not to mention there's no point in having a family atmosphere when most families are being priced out of going to games.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post

I don't, I just recall a thread from here a season or two ago. Which is why I asked the question, instead of making a statement.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Not to mention there's no point in having a family atmosphere when most families are being priced out of going to games.
    I'm not entirely sure we've reached that price point yet. Not with attendance being what it is across the league. You can't claim that the league is pricing out its fan base when the numbers don't support that.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not entirely sure we've reached that price point yet. Not with attendance being what it is across the league. You can't claim that the league is pricing out its fan base when the numbers don't support that.
    In certain places it's still ok. But DC, New England, Dallas- it's absurdly expensive. Even in Baltimore it's pretty bad. They have PSL's so that puts seasons out of the question for a loft people and bumps up the after market price for single games.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

In certain places it's still ok. But DC, New England, Dallas- it's absurdly expensive. Even in Baltimore it's pretty bad. They have PSL's so that puts seasons out of the question for a loft people and bumps up the after market price for single games.
    You considering it expensive does not mean they are out pricing the fan base. Again there should be clear data to support that and I haven't seen any.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Anyone watch Silicon Valley on HBO and think about the episodes 2 weeks ago with this announcement?

16. Post thanked by:

Ed (06-04-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,408 Times in 1,992 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    Anyone watch Silicon Valley on HBO and think about the episodes 2 weeks ago with this announcement?
    Yes and yes.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You considering it expensive does not mean they are out pricing the fan base. Again there should be clear data to support that and I haven't seen any.
    You asked for it. You got it.

http://america.aljazeera.com/multime...annflgame.html

Keep in mind that it uses median income. In places like DC, that's not an accurate metric because the people making next to nothing are offset by the people making absurd amounts. So, it's even worse than this makes it seem for the average person.
    Last edited by OpIv37; 06-04-2015 at 10:11 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You asked for it. You got it.

http://america.aljazeera.com/multime...annflgame.html

Keep in mind that it uses median income. In places like DC, that's not an accurate metric because the people making next to nothing are offset by the people making absurd amounts. So, it's even worse than this makes it seem for the average person.
    No, what I asked for was data showing that they were out-pricing people. Showing a metric based on weekly pay doesn't prove that. It simply shows that they charge high prices and people are willing to pay it despite their budgets clearly showing they shouldn't.

In order to prove your point you need to show that there have been issues with ticket sales and that it is directly related to how high the prices are.

The ticket being expensive is not the same thing as the ticket being out-priced compared to the market. An out-priced ticket won't sell, but an expensive one will. The NFL's tickets are expensive, but nothing in the data shows that they have out-priced their market.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You don't think a game costing 50+% of the median weekly income is pricing people out? Gimme a ****ing break. Now you are just being argumentative.

And I said the average family is getting priced out, not everyone. There are other demographics that are buying the ticket.

Thanks
    Thanked 18,295 Times in 8,955 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    Seriously? The last few years have had some of the best Super Bowls of all time.
    I'm a total bitter-ender when it comes to the Bills.

When they're done for the season, so am I.

I can't stand watching other teams revel in post-season glory.
    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

22. Post thanked by:

bleve (06-07-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You don't think a game costing 50+% of the median weekly income is pricing people out? Gimme a ****ing break. Now you are just being argumentative.

And I said the average family is getting priced out, not everyone. There are other demographics that are buying the ticket.
    The average family does not want season tickets.

And the average family can easily afford going to a game or two.

I'm sure that some people are getting priced out, but it's like anything else... You have to decide what's worth it for you. The average person in Buffalo can go to 3 football games using one weeks pay, getting average tickets. That's not an incredible hardship. Remember that there are much cheaper tickets than your awesome chart indicates, as well. Some tickets are stupid expensive, which drives up the average.
    Last edited by feldspar; 06-07-2015 at 01:05 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    The average family does not want season tickets.

And the average family can easily afford going to a game or two.

I'm sure that some people are getting priced out, but it's like anything else... You have to decide what's worth it for you. The average person in Buffalo can go to 3 football games using one weeks pay, getting average tickets. That's not an incredible hardship. Remember that there are much cheaper tickets than your awesome chart indicates, as well. Some tickets are stupid expensive, which drives up the average.
    I could not afford season tickets to the Sabres along with my Bills season tickets.

And even if I could, there is no way I could have gone to all those games.

But I bought tickets before the start of the season & went to a lot of Sabres games on nights I wanted to go & to see teams I wanted to see.

I sat in the Golds in the same seat for maybe 7 or 8 games. Sat in different seats in the Golds a few other games & sat in the blues & reds for a number of games.

But the NFL is only 8 games at home during the season.

I agree you have to decide what is worth it to you.