Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: If a high school can change it's mascot, why can't an NFL team do the same?

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: If a high school can change it's mascot, why can't an NFL team do the same?

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Congrats to them on their new rings.

What's the point of posting this?

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

2. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (06-17-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's racist. Better change it asap. #dumb

4. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (06-16-2015)

Raging hypocrite and resident troll Discotrish's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,531 Times in 3,994 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It shows the war paint.

Quote Originally Posted by MST3KBillsfan View Post

I don't like the name "warriors" because its too generic, but Braves would be acceptable and in our current -and in this case perhaps for the better - PC climate they could donate some of their proceeds to the more impoverished First Peoples' Reservations.

My. 02
    It's so much easier to visualize a "Legend."

Patti
    Note: Discotrish information is Conspiralicious and has NO BASIS IN FACT. Considering her opinions may be HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH. Please do not get your medical advice from a subforum of a subforum of a sports message board.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Discotrish View Post
    It shows the war paint.
    What does? The Blackhawks logo?

7. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (06-17-2015)

Registered User chernobylwraiths's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,775 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

History lesson, does everyone know that Blackhawk was an individual and not a tribe?

9. Post thanked by:

Generalissimus Gibby (06-18-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by chernobylwraiths View Post
    History lesson, does everyone know that Blackhawk was an individual and not a tribe?
    That adds another team to the old trivia question about the pro sports teams named after an actual person. I don't remember the rest, but the Buffalo Bills and the Cleveland Browns (after Paul Brown) were two.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,276 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Buffalo Bill is next on the hit list. "Buffalo Wings," is inevitable.

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Bill

William Frederick Cody

Later he served as a civilian scout to the US Army during the Indian Wars, receiving the Medal of Honor in 1872.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,633 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I just don't understand the fight to KEEP the name. Who gives a **** if a team mascot changes? **** me.

BTW I could also argue for why it' the decent and right thing to do but I'm sure that's been covered. WWJD?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    That adds another team to the old trivia question about the pro sports teams named after an actual person. I don't remember the rest, but the Buffalo Bills and the Cleveland Browns (after Paul Brown) were two.
    I read somewhere that it was named after an Army unit the owner had served in, but that of course the unit was named for the man.

Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 4,183 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by chernobylwraiths View Post
    Yes, Chief Blackhawk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_...Sauk_leader%29

However, the problem with him --although he was brilliant on many levels -- is that he typifies the "vanishing indian" ideology that swept our culture in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,557 Times in 17,441 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Is 'Canuck' an offensive term?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Is 'Canuck' an offensive term?
    Not to me.

But if somebody called me Yard Rat, I might have a bone to pick, as they say.

17. Post thanked by:

Topas (06-30-2015)

Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin' Buffalogic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Minnesota Fightin' Whities for life

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    I read somewhere that it was named after an Army unit the owner had served in, but that of course the unit was named for the man.
    Nope. There was a fan contest to name the Buffalo AAFC team.

Following the 1946 season, in an effort to generate more fan interest and distinguish the football team from the city's minor league baseball and hockey teams, which also bore the name "Bisons," the team ran a contest to select a new name. Over 4,500 entries were submitted, and "the Bills" won over "Bullets," "Nickels" and "Blue Devils." Several contestants suggested the winning name, but James F. Dyson was named the winner of the $500 prize based on his essay comparing the team to a band of "Buffalo Bills." He wrote that, while the legendary Indian Scout William "Buffalo Bill" Cody helped trailblaze the American Frontier, the football team (owned by the president of Frontier Oil) was opening a new frontier in Buffalo sports.

http://www.answers.com/Q/Where_did_t...get_their_name

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Following the 1946 season, in an effort to generate more fan interest and distinguish the football team from the city's minor league baseball and hockey teams, which also bore the name "Bisons," the team ran a contest to select a new name. Over 4,500 entries were submitted, and "the Bills" won over "Bullets," "Nickels" and "Blue Devils." Several contestants suggested the winning name, but James F. Dyson was named the winner of the $500 prize based on his essay comparing the team to a band of "Buffalo Bills." He wrote that, while the legendary Indian Scout William "Buffalo Bill" Cody helped trailblaze the American Frontier, the football team (owned by the president of Frontier Oil) was opening a new frontier in Buffalo sports.

http://www.answers.com/Q/Where_did_t...get_their_name
    It's a little more tough to name your team when the name of your city itself is a the name of an animal.

For example, if you think about a Buffalo Sabre, what exactly IS that? Is that a sword used to kill Buffaloes, or is it that the Buffaloes are actually wielding the sword?

See what I mean? Most anything you name your team would suggest a buffalo doing something or a Buffalo being in a certain state. Can't escape the animal. Buffalo Bisons is just redundant.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I see my post was confusing, I meant the Blackhawks.

Founding

On May 1, 1926, the NHL awarded an expansion franchise for Chicago to a syndicate headed by former football star Huntington Hardwick of Boston. At the same meeting, Hardwick arranged the purchase of the players of the Portland Rosebuds of the Western Hockey League for $100,000 from WHL President Frank Patrick in a deal brokered by Boston Bruins' owner Charles Adams.[2] However, only one month later, Huntwick's group sold out to Chicago coffee tycoon Frederic McLaughlin.[3]
    McLaughlin had been a commander with the 333rd Machine Gun Battalion of the 86th Infantry Division during World War I.[4] This Division was nicknamed the "Blackhawk Division" after a Native American of the Sauk nation, Black Hawk, who was a prominent figure in the history of Illinois.[4] McLaughlin named the new hockey team in honor of the military unit, making it one of many sports team names using Native Americans as icons.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicag...hawks#Founding

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

More adults being hurt by words... So lame.