Thread: Grade Murray's Day 1 draft day

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Grade Murray's Day 1 draft day

A bit early, but I'd like to see how Murray is being "graded out" so far; especially since we can all be a bit harsh. I've seen where he should have already been fired, should never had the job in the first place and of course the infamous..."the guy has the personality of drying paint". (Note: he did smile after the Eichel selection)

He got a goalie, although we had to take an extra body in the deal and I think giving the 21st was a tad pricey considering the concussion worries.

I think we overpaid a bit for ROR and they have to sign him longterm or this becomes awful. I understand the Av's needed D so Zadorov was the choice. Grigorenko was a future cancer the team decided to amputate now. Did we have to throw in Compher? I just think it was a tad much considering they got the 31st too.

A soft A-, strong B+ ...I'm relatively happy with it.
    Grades? Thoughts?
    I've upped my standards...now up yours

that slimey ass of an admin at the zone Dude's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,563 Times in 2,509 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Grade Murray's Day 1 draft day

The Sabres are instantly better, which is not something you can usually say after draft day 1. GMTM gets an A from me for his aggressiveness, preparation, and execution.

3. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (06-27-2015),Night Train (06-27-2015),Skooby (06-27-2015),WagonCircler (06-27-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,915 Times in 5,307 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

GMTM gets an A... only on Mondays... only on the driveway.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I get the Rain Man reference, even though it's misplaced, but I'd rather have a GM that's all about the job, and does what he has to do to make the team better, then have one who has a sparkling personality and sucks at his job. I seriously question how some other teams have improved after what they did yesterday *coughBruinscough*

6. Post thanked by:

Dr. Who (06-27-2015),Night Train (06-27-2015)

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

looks like they got a lot better fast. added a veteran centerpiece, a generational rookie phenom, and as legit a #1 goalie candidate you could ever find all within twenty four hours. plus they added a couple solid veteran pieces to strengthen the overall team maturity. the only thing they really gave up were assets that wouldnt come due for three or four seasons, if at all. and what a relief to get rid of grigs, that feels like a total freebie

it probably cant come together fast enough to make them anything but a borderline playoff contender, but it certainly accelerated the curve. now we just gotta keep our fingers crossed roy jr really does know what hes doing and made the right moves
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 4,053 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Even if all we got was Jack Eichel it's still an A+. The fact that we got ROR on top of it, as well as a starting goalie (though i'd have preferred staying at 21 and taking Samsonov) are just icing. In O'Reilly's case, really delicious icing.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

We traded potential youth for young players that are already NHL ready and still young. The guys we got are 23 and 24 right? Prospects for guys coming into their prime is never a bad move, imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Thanks
    Thanked 8,915 Times in 5,307 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Dude View Post
    I get the Rain Man reference, even though it's misplaced, but I'd rather have a GM that's all about the job, and does what he has to do to make the team better, then have one who has a sparkling personality and sucks at his job. I seriously question how some other teams have improved after what they did yesterday *coughBruinscough*
    Lighten up Francis

Registered User chernobylwraiths's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,775 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well, one can say that he overpaid in all his trades. That was one thing you rarely ever said with Darcy. But that is kind of the definition of making a bold move. You have to give something of value up to get something of value. In every trade, he only gave up either draft picks or "potential" value, with the exception of Myers. But in giving up Myers (and Armia, and Lemieux and a draft pick?) he got two solid NHL players. In giving up Zadorov and Grigorenko and Compher and a pick, he got what some people feel is an exceptional player and a guy who has played for several years in the NHL. So, 4 NHL everyday players for several guys who might never be everyday players and Myers (though I think Zadorov could be a solid player someday). The goalie trade also seemed a little steep only if you think that the 21st overall pick was going to make a significant contribution or if you think the goalie was not going to be a good player. Legwand is a solid NHL center and the kind of player I think the team might want going forward. Or he could be another piece he trades for youth.

So, yesterday he got four guys who can definitely help this team this year. I saw on the draft telecast that the Sabres needs were a goaltender and center depth. The trades yielded two NHL solid centers and a young promising goalie and all he really gave up are a promising defenseman, a talented but somewhat troubled center, a prospect and two relatively high draft picks that might have never amounted to nothing.

I think it is funny when a person criticizes Murray for giving away draft picks and thinks he is a bad GM but expects him to pick players that are going to be star players with the picks he gave up.

Oh yeah, he also got Eichel (mostly through moves he made to keep the team bad enough to be able to draft him, I bet Arizona fans aren't happy that they aren't getting him). Then again, that pick is a no brainer, but moving forward, this team looks a hell of a lot better than it did just 24 hours (and especially about 6 months) ago.

A+++++++++++++++++++

and of course draft grades are for losers. :)

12. Post thanked by:

black N yellow (06-27-2015),Dr. Who (06-27-2015),The last buffalo fan (06-27-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

B Overpaid for Lehner - Lack just went for a 3rd and a 7th so could have had him for 51 and kept pick 21 (konecny anyone)?? O'Reilly we paid fair value, eichel was a given

14. Post thanked by:

Ginger Vitis (06-27-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 843 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ct bills fan View Post
    B Overpaid for Lehner - Lack just went for a 3rd and a 7th so could have had him for 51 and kept pick 21 (konecny anyone)??
    agree 100% I wonder if teams were scared off by Konecnys concussion history but the flyers got a top 12 talent at 24 and he could/should have been a sabre
    Last edited by Ginger Vitis; 06-27-2015 at 08:03 AM.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Murray goes by his old scouting notes when pulling the trigger on trades. He was sky high on Kane and Bogosian back in the day and didn't hesitate to trade guys he had rated lower.

Obviously likes the goalie more than most but O'Reilly is a team captain type that can work like a domino effect through the lineup. He will get the big $$ to help the promising youth develop. Obviously watching Toews has all GM's looking for someone with that profile. When a situation arises (Kane,Bogosian,O'Reilly) you move fast...not sit on your hands like Darcy.

Sabres already had a boatload of guys drafted the last 2-3 years who will show up at camp thinking this is their year to grab a roster spot. For 1 year, sacrificing a couple high picks for guys who can play now and be key cogs is something Darcy would never do, which is why we were stuck in park. He was more worried about justifying his many bad picks of floaters that Murray wound up using in trades the last few months. Myers was the only guy I'll miss but his inconsistency was very real. The 2 Russians traded yesterday were both in the doghouse..underachievers who hadn't matured and needed a change of scenery.

this off-season has already been a big win with a coach who reportedly works well with youth and is well liked. Maybe more vets on the way. Very encouraging, long term.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

the Sabres could have had Jack Eichel.. Travis Konecny and Jeremy Roy... im wincing just a bit
    Last edited by Ginger Vitis; 06-27-2015 at 08:22 AM.

18. Post thanked by:

JATMtheJATM (06-27-2015)

Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,515 Times in 4,889 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Konecny plays much larger than his 5'9" height says...BUT I like the corps of centers we have.
    "We've got a lot to cover. The good news is...I've got the time and I ain't going anywhere." -CM Punk, AEW Rampage, 8/20/21

"I see things in black and white and I have a zero tolerance policy for ****ty people." -Jon Moxley, AEW Dynamite, 1/6/21

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
    Konecny plays much larger than his 5'9" height says...BUT I like the corps of centers we have.
    Konency can also play wing effectively

Thanks
    Thanked 16,500 Times in 12,041 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ct bills fan View Post
    B Overpaid for Lehner - Lack just went for a 3rd and a 7th so could have had him for 51 and kept pick 21 (konecny anyone)?? O'Reilly we paid fair value, eichel was a given
    while i love lehner and legwand actually (i wanted the sabres to target him in free agency last summer) he did overpay after seeing what lack and talbot went for.

i also hate seeing zad and grigo go, mainly zad. but it all comes with good reason. sabres roster is better today. alot better.
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    Lighten up Francis
    Calling it like I see it. You and your Boston buddy have been ripping GMTM for executing the organization's plan. The losing sucked but he's making the right moves.