Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More implicit shots fired at the previous coaching staff (on offense)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

More implicit shots fired at the previous coaching staff (on offense)

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/06...ckle-position/

Kromer goes about his job differently than the previous two offensive line coaches Glenn has had since he arrived in Buffalo. His approach, at least according to Glenn, is much more detail-oriented. Glenn makes it clear that he and the rest of the line are being held to a higher standard.

I suspect a lot of it is the availability of $$$. The Rex Ryan staff is quickly becoming the largest and most expensive coaching staff in the entire NFL. Other than titles and fixed positions, if Rex wants to hire one, Pegula writes the check. That must be to the dismay of corporate stalwarts like Littman and Ralph in his grave.

It will be interesting to see if there is any aprreciable difference in established guys like Wood, Glenn this year.

Personally, I think Rex and Thurman have more pressure on the defensive performance because of the success Schwartz had last year -- first year on the job.
    Last edited by ghz in pittsburgh; 06-29-2015 at 08:55 AM.

2. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (06-29-2015),DynaPaul (07-05-2015),Joe Fo Sho (06-29-2015)

Lecter's Little Bitch
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: More implicit shots fired at the previous coaching staff (on offense)

Schwartz did a good job but I think he got a lot more credit than he deserved. The defensive personnel especially the DL was very good under Pettine before Schwartz got here. This is why Pettine got the credit and his HC job in Cleveland. It could be argued that Schwartz only job was to not screw things up and the defense was naturally going to progress to be as good as we were last year. I think Rex and Thurman will continue to reap the benefits of the outstanding talent on defense.

4. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (07-02-2015),Zoneblitser (07-01-2015)

Lecter's Little Bitch
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's like saying Barry Switzer was such an awesome coach that he won the SB with the Cowboys. Well that was Jimmy Johnson's team that won the SB, not Switzer.

Same thing with Gruden in Tampa.

6. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (07-02-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

In many cases, staying out of the way (not screwing up) is as important as trying to build something grom the ground up.

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

miyagi is such an awesome mod he made this place what it is today
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Hackett was a joke as an OC. I think he made our o-line look way worse than it was. The play calling was predictable. Look at how bad Spiller struggled, and I'm in no way a Spiller fan, but it was unfair.

10. Post thanked by:

ParanoidAndroid (06-29-2015),Strongman (07-01-2015)

Lecter's Little Bitch
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    miyagi is such an awesome mod he made this place what it is today

12. Post thanked by:

JJamezz (06-29-2015),The last buffalo fan (07-02-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
    It's like saying Barry Switzer was such an awesome coach that he won the SB with the Cowboys. Well that was Jimmy Johnson's team that won the SB, not Switzer.

Same thing with Gruden in Tampa.
    Gruden added an OFFENSE with some IMPORTANT players in Tampa to the Bucs that were not there before he arrived.

The Cowboys would have won the Super Bowl if Jimmy Johnson stayed an extra year.

The Bucs would not have won the Super Bowl if Dungy stayed in Tampa.

14. Post thanked by:

Topas (06-29-2015)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Brad Johnson was the Tampa QB. Much like Dilfer in Baltimore, they still won while getting just enough out of a backup QB.

I just want the Bills to grab the last WC spot this year while waiting for the next off-season to upgrade QB.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    Brad Johnson was the Tampa QB. Much like Dilfer in Baltimore, they still won while getting just enough out of a backup QB.

I just want the Bills to grab the last WC spot this year while waiting for the next off-season to upgrade QB.
    Both were good enough to win the Super Bowl.

Ironic, both were Bucs.

I think the Bills could win the Super bowl this year if either of them were the Bills QB this year (at the same age & ability they were at when they did win)

But Like Dilfer in Baltimore the Bucs had a WORSE QB before Johnson got there & have had worse QB's since he left.

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Dilfer was absolutely horrible that year, completing many 10 yard throws into the turf. He replaced Tony Banks, who was just as bad the first half of the year.

Lucky for them, they had a top rusher in Lewis, a solid #2 in Priest Holmes and an incredible D led by another Lewis to over come that. Rex was there and may be trying this blueprint.
    We'll see.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,469 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Schwartz did a good job but I think he got a lot more credit than he deserved. The defensive personnel especially the DL was very good under Pettine before Schwartz got here. This is why Pettine got the credit and his HC job in Cleveland. It could be argued that Schwartz only job was to not screw things up and the defense was naturally going to progress to be as good as we were last year. I think Rex and Thurman will continue to reap the benefits of the outstanding talent on defense.
    I disagree. He changed the entire scheme. He also didn't blitz a lot which Pettine did. They were two very different DC's

My battery is low and it's getting dark. ParanoidAndroid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,701 Times in 3,422 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't think the Seahawks are far off from that blueprint. The only major difference is the QB has a knack for making plays with his feet. Even though the Bills have more talent at receiver than the Seahawks did, they do not, at this point have the O-line or savvy at QB to replicate that kind of success. However, the fact that we were as close to the playoffs as we were last year with that offense bodes well for the near future. Roman is orders of magnitude better than Hackett.

20. Post thanked by:

better days (06-29-2015)

Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,891 Times in 4,183 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Who cares about the previous regime, we are not playing 2014 this year. We are playing 2015. I wanna know how this coaching staff and team plays this year.

22. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (07-02-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 574 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I actually think Schwartz was better than MP. No diss to Pettine by the way. He was good for us too. But JS brought pressure with just the guys up front while Pettine relied a lot on blitzes. We also seemed to be a lot better vs the run. Either way it was great watch our D under both guys. Can't wait to see what Rex can do with them

24. Post thanked by:

better days (06-29-2015),Mace (06-30-2015),swiper (06-29-2015),The last buffalo fan (07-02-2015),Topas (06-30-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,527 Times in 17,420 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Morris sucked, most of us knew that.

I don't know if money was actually a factor in his hire, but we'll see how opening up the pocket book works with Rex...it certainly wasn't necessary (or apparently desired) for most assistants this season considering Ryan just dragged along mostly his old staff. Don't know what Roman and Kroger are making, but those are really the only two where money might've mattered (other than RR).

Schwartz's defense was a really effective combination of scheme and personnel...that's why they went from 'pretty good but with flaws' to outright dominant in one season. IMO Jim Shorts (credit to jimmifli for the moniker) will be more appreciated after this season.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

26. Post thanked by:

Mace (06-30-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Victor7 View Post
    I actually think Schwartz was better than MP. No diss to Pettine by the way. He was good for us too. But JS brought pressure with just the guys up front while Pettine relied a lot on blitzes. We also seemed to be a lot better vs the run. Either way it was great watch our D under both guys. Can't wait to see what Rex can do with them
    Regardless what people say, Schwartz's wide 9 scheme is perfect for Bills personnel. Jerry Hughes and Mario on the outside wide. Marcell and Kyle in the middle with the emerging Bradham really stepping up stopping the run.

I'm encouraged to hear Rex saying at one point that he's going to keep what's working -- all good coaches should evolve with players at hand. If the Bills can really stopping the run like a true 3-4 should, look out for the 3rd down kill ...

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Victor7 View Post
    He's better than Rex Ryan too.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,489 Times in 9,186 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    He's better than Rex Ryan too.
    Hard to say until we see what happens, way less risky though for sure.

Schwartz removed the kamikaze element of Pettine/Ryan for conservative security, banking on the line to be just fine for pressure in his scheme, which also had that sweet use of a safety lurking midrange in the middle.

Agree with Yardrat, Schwartz had a dominant D going. No way to prove it but I'll always believe 2nd year in his scheme would have been better still. Pettine/Ryan defenses firing on all cylinders are livelier, scarier, and more big play oriented, but more committed to a play in how they unfold. Schwartz's more conservative scheme was more solidly dependable, and it was evidently very well suited to who we had.

Do you read what you write? Oaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    In many cases, staying out of the way (not screwing up) is as important as trying to build something grom the ground up.
    Esp. with an ego like Schwartz. I thought he did great last year and was sad to see him leave.