Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More implicit shots fired at the previous coaching staff (on offense)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: More implicit shots fired at the previous coaching staff (on offense)

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Hard to say until we see what happens, way less risky though for sure.

Schwartz removed the kamikaze element of Pettine/Ryan for conservative security, banking on the line to be just fine for pressure in his scheme, which also had that sweet use of a safety lurking midrange in the middle.

Agree with Yardrat, Schwartz had a dominant D going. No way to prove it but I'll always believe 2nd year in his scheme would have been better still. Pettine/Ryan defenses firing on all cylinders are livelier, scarier, and more big play oriented, but more committed to a play in how they unfold. Schwartz's more conservative scheme was more solidly dependable, and it was evidently very well suited to who we had.
    The difference between Pettine & Ryan is Pettine gave up the big play & the run selling out to get to the QB.

Rex will give up the big play on occasion, but his run defense has always been outstanding.

2. Post thanked by:

Mace (07-01-2015),The last buffalo fan (07-02-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,412 Times in 1,502 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Read http://www.buffalobills.com/news/art...0-21bf4e87995f this morning.

There are some noise in the media built the Bills D up -- compared to Bears famous one. There is a link of course, Ryan's dad in Chicago at the time, coming to think it, Ryan himself involved in the other famous one 2000 Ravens. So maybe there is some legit thinking of Bills 2015. Every 15 years, the Ryan family will prove to NFL ...

HOWEVER, The reason I think the media is blowing smoke is that those two defenses, the Bears/Ravens have (almost) established HOF players. The Bears one is too far for me to remember but I know there is a ton. The Ravens had Ray Lewis and Rod Woodson, and they were absolutely stacked with back 7 guys: Lewis, Boulware, McAlister, Duane Starks, Woodson, Jamie Sharper, Ken herring. The secondary starters had 17 INTs that year.

I just don't see the current Bills defensive roster have anyone make people think could be a future HOF, maybe Dareus if he's truely matured and starting to put up numbers like last year from here on out. They have a number of Boulware level of players, but not Lewis/Woodson level players. Hope they prove me wrong. Maybe Dareus builds on his 2014 year and takes another step forward; maybe Gilmore finally takes his game to another level; maybe Preston Brown takes a big step year 1 to year 2 ...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
    Schwartz did a good job but I think he got a lot more credit than he deserved. The defensive personnel especially the DL was very good under Pettine before Schwartz got here. This is why Pettine got the credit and his HC job in Cleveland. It could be argued that Schwartz only job was to not screw things up and the defense was naturally going to progress to be as good as we were last year. I think Rex and Thurman will continue to reap the benefits of the outstanding talent on defense.
    I dont feel that is true at all. Dave Wannstedt had the almost the same group of players especially on the D-Line and in 2012 made them look like the worst defense in Franchise history. Jim Schwartz has been a good to great D coordinator throughout his career. Like any good coordinator if they have the players to fit their scheme they will be successful more often than not.

5. Post thanked by:

better days (07-02-2015),Mace (07-02-2015)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Robinson View Post
    Dave Wannstedt had the almost the same group of players especially on the D-Line and in 2012 made them look like the worst defense in Franchise history.
    Excellent point.