Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bills sign OT Wayne Hunter

Thanks
    Thanked 3,412 Times in 1,994 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bills sign OT Wayne Hunter

I'm not sure why Rex seems to like this guy as much as he does. I thought he was terrible when he was with the Jets. I can only assume that it's a one year vet min deal with little to no guaranteed money. I hope he's just an extra camp body and doesn't make the 53.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/art...1-d1cca1923d1c

2. Post thanked by:

Mace (07-01-2015)

SpikedLemonade

Re: Bills sign OT Wayne Hunter

I love a lot of things about Rex. His blindness of former players is not one of them.

If this guy is anything more than camp fodder, our OT depth is crap.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    I love a lot of things about Rex. His blindness of former players is not one of them.

If this guy is anything more than camp fodder, our OT depth is crap.
    How many of his former players do the Bills have? Which ones do you disagree with? That really isn't a problem.

I agree about the crap at OT depth part. Something needs to be done about that.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,441 Times in 14,158 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I would of rather risked a pick on Battle in the Supplemental Draft then have signed Wayne Hunter.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

6. Post thanked by:

GvilleBills (07-01-2015),Mace (07-01-2015),mysticsoto (07-02-2015),YardRat (07-01-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,518 Times in 17,411 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Oh great...this guys makes Pears look adequate.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

8. Post thanked by:

Mace (07-01-2015)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,488 Times in 9,185 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I'm not sure why Rex seems to like this guy as much as he does. I thought he was terrible when he was with the Jets. I can only assume that it's a one year vet min deal with little to no guaranteed money. I hope he's just an extra camp body and doesn't make the 53.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/art...1-d1cca1923d1c
    He WAS terrible with the Jets. So they traded him to the Rams, where he was also terrible, then cut. Before the Jets he was terrible with Seattle who drafted him 11 years ago, and then he was terrible with Jacksonville before going to the Jets.

Continuing his tradition of Terrible, he was terrible in 2013, no one wanted him. He followed that up by being terrible in 2014, when no one wanted him. He was so terrible no one has played him in a regular season game since 2011.

He was so terrible in 2012, Ryan benched him in camp for allowing too many sacks.

I can't believe they can't find better camp fodder. The rest of the league had 640 players as camp fodder over the past two seasons, and he wasn't one of them, so he's at best the 641'st best camp fodder.

This a a woeful pickup, even to to do an old chum a solid because it wastes a spot that could be used for a better camp "maybe". "Like who, Mace ?" Well geez, my cousin can block better and she could probably take her vacation for training camp.

10. Post thanked by:

GvilleBills (07-01-2015),Lucidvizion (07-02-2015),ublinkwescore (07-02-2015),YardRat (07-01-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    How many of his former players do the Bills have? Which ones do you disagree with? That really isn't a problem.

I agree about the crap at OT depth part. Something needs to be done about that.
    Hunter joins Jets refugees John Conner, Matthew Mulligan and Matt Simms. Funny that all the former Jets the Bills have brought in are offensive players. Remember how many of us thought the Jet targets would be guys like David Harris, Mark Sanchez and Bilal Powell.

12. Post thanked by:

Mace (07-01-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by EDS View Post
    Hunter joins Jets refugees John Conner, Matthew Mulligan and Matt Simms. Funny that all the former Jets the Bills have brought in are offensive players. Remember how many of us thought the Jet targets would be guys like David Harris, Mark Sanchez and Bilal Powell.
    I'm pretty good with saying I disagree with all of them, myself. Add Lee and Lal (offensive coaches for pretty important positions) and well...it speaks for itself. Maybe it works, I dunno, it will be colorful and amusing in any case.

14. Post thanked by:

YardRat (07-01-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I'm pretty good with saying I disagree with all of them, myself. Add Lee and Lal (offensive coaches for pretty important positions) and well...it speaks for itself. Maybe it works, I dunno, it will be colorful and amusing in any case.
    I think the changes of any of the former Jets guys even making the roster are below 15%.

16. Post thanked by:

Mace (07-01-2015),swiper (07-21-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think the changes of any of the former Jets guys even making the roster are below 15%.
    I sure agree, but it will be notable if they do.

18. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 30,518 Times in 17,411 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Why don't we re-sign Ruvell Martin while we're at it? Jesus H Christ.

20. Post thanked by:

Meathead (07-02-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Why don't we re-sign Ruvell Martin while we're at it? Jesus H Christ.
    Because they'd have to cut Wayne Hunter or Matthew Mulligan. Vicious circle.

22. Post thanked by:

gebobs (07-02-2015),YardRat (07-03-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sure, but how many of those guys have a real chance to contribute much?

I was thinking David Harris, but not so much the other two you mentioned. Not Sanchez at all.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 1,507 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Hunter was so bad in NY it was news worthy. That is to say, they had entire articles about how bad he was.

That being said, you need bodies to run a training camp and, in my opinion, the more famililar you are with those bodies the better.

I get the signing if it is to fill a roll this summer. Someone that knows Rex and (likely) a bit about what Roman might do.

If, on the other hand, this was a serious signing with significant playing time in mind from September to the end of the season, then i will agree. Rex is nuts.

I don't think Rex is nuts though. I think this is a good dude that Rex likes who (despite not being an NFL caliber tackle) can help us get through training camp. You NEED bodies. Especially when Roman is going to be running two offenses at the same time to increase the number of reps. People you are familiar with are quite helpful in such circumstances.

All of that said, if hunter is positioned as a key back-up in week one, we're in trouble. If he's a starter we're ****ed.
    All Hail Josh Allen! Savior of the Buffalo Bills!

Freedom for the Ukraine. Down with Putin and every traitor in this country that supports him.

25. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jimkelly12203 View Post
    Hunter was so bad in NY it was news worthy. That is to say, they had entire articles about how bad he was.

That being said, you need bodies to run a training camp and, in my opinion, the more famililar you are with those bodies the better.
    That sort of means you need to be familiar with how terrible he is too though, considering you're the one who knew enough to bench him in training camp for being terrible 3 years ago, and he has no body of work since because every one else thought he was terrible too to the point he's not been on a roster in 2 years.

This was just a terrible decision. Dude is going to be 34 in two days, his terrible is certain.

His upside is that his nonexistent skills are declining and he might get a burst of old-man strength.
    Last edited by Mace; 07-01-2015 at 09:01 PM.

27. Post thanked by:

YardRat (07-03-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 1,507 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    That sort of means you need to be familiar with how terrible he is too though, considering you're the one who knew enough to bench him in training camp for being terrible 3 years ago, and he has no body of work since because every one else thought he was terrible too to the point he's not been on a roster in 2 years.

This was just a terrible decision. Dude is going to be 34 in two days, his terrible is certain.

His upside is that his nonexistent skills are declining and he might get a burst of old-man strength.
    I guess my ultimate point is that you need bodies in training camp. We are thin at OT. If he was signed simply to have a knowledgeable body for fill-in duty then it makes a lot of sense. You can't run a practice that requires 4 OTs when you only have 3, for example. If they honestly think he's going to contribute when the live bullets are flying, then we are even more desperate than i thought.

But i could see myself signing a familiar face for the purpose of running a camp.

Time will tell. For my part, i'm just praying that the theory that Marrone is so bad of a coach that our OL looked far worse than it is capable of being is true.

I don't think there's any question that Marrone did a really bad job with that unit. How good (or bad) we are on the OL remains to be seen. I know we have some big dudes though. Lets hope they can benefit from a superior scheme. I rest easy knowing full well that virtually any scheme is better than the one we ran the last few years.

Sans Levitre, this is the same unit that helped spiller gain over 5 yards per carry under Chan Gailey.

Hunter cannot possibly be a serious part of the plan at that spot. I hope...
    Last edited by Jimkelly12203; 07-01-2015 at 10:49 PM.

29. Post thanked by:

Mace (07-02-2015)

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I asked this before and it still boggles me. If we are going to bring in guys to help install the system, why are they rex's guys? Roman should be bringing in his old guys to work the offense.

31. Post thanked by:

Mace (07-02-2015),YardRat (07-03-2015)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Camp body. Calm down.

Hoping UDFA OT Chandler is a catch as a developmental prospect.

If we need to complain about this, it shows it's down time and we're bored. (" I haven't *****ed about the Bills in weeks ! Give me anything ! " )

33. Post thanked by:

BillsImpossible (07-02-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

camp fodder..relax you dopes...

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep