Legendary Zoner
    • Mar 2005

Re: Report: Sabres Extend ROR

Comment

• WagonCircler
      Escaped Convict
      • Jul 2002

When people used to talk about the Bills' cap management, there were always posters who would chime in with "Why do you people CARE that they overpaid for ________? It's Ralph's money!!!!!"

But there was/is a reason to care about overpaying NFL players. The salary cap is a much bigger concern.

There's a huge difference with the Sabres, though. They literally have it to give--both the cash and the cap room.

The Sabres are in fantastic cap shape, and they have a rich, free-spending, highly motivated owner.

This is a classic case of "Why do you people care?"

But it's really just the trolls stroking themselves. Nothing to see here.

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by coastal View Post
        This is from the HF board... Seems pretty reasonable...

I really don't get everyone ******ing about the money. The guy's contract is already paying him $6.2 million this coming season. So he got a $1.3 million dollar raise. Wow, absolutely shocking!

What did you all expect? For him to say "Oh, well, since you just traded for me to be a leader, mentor, and 1st line center on your team and to help lead them out of last place for the last 2 straight years, I think I'll take a big discount to stay here through the prime of my career instead of going to (unrestricted) free agency in a year".
        It's a fair contract. Fair cap hit. They are not going to need to buy him out. he is there to do a LOT more than just put up points. He is easily one of the hardest working players in the NHL and a work out warrior (so is Eichel). He said he covets having a leadership role. He will be leading the young Sabres players on the ice, off the ice and in the gym. Honestly, I can't think of a much better guy to lead our young kids by example. Well, any players who were actually available anyways...
        I always hear of a young rebuilding team that moves multiple pieces for a final piece that gets a team to the promised land. While more moves need to be made, this could be the sabres.

Still, please don't move next year's first. Still need to add youth
        Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
          Skoobasaurus-Rex
          • Oct 2011

I looked at several awards he's been up for and have found that the other players around him are much older, which basically means he has room for improvement. He has the heart of a lion & incredibly classy, he won't shame the organization or embarrass the team on or off the ice. He will also lead this team and help us add a little under a point a game, which would obviously improve our chances of victory on a nightly basis.

$7.5 Million for a great player heading into his prime is cheap IMO, it will look even cheaper looking over the next several years.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
            Skoobasaurus-Rex
            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Downinfloflo View Post
            The reason for that is injuries, not talent level..
            I think you're all wet & the coaching has gotten so much better in neutralizing these major talents with counter-balances to keep them off their game as best you can. Everything being equal, injury is not an excuse for any player.

Comment

• mightysimi
              Buckle me in on the highway of sin
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
              I think you're all wet & the coaching has gotten so much better in neutralizing these major talents with counter-balances to keep them off their game as best you can. Everything being equal, injury is not an excuse for any player.
              it is for pat kane or seguin who were both leading the league in scoring when they went down

Comment

• coastal
                Legendary Zoner
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
                I always hear of a young rebuilding team that moves multiple pieces for a final piece that gets a team to the promised land. While more moves need to be made, this could be the sabres.

Still, please don't move next year's first. Still need to add youth
                ill agree with this for now... there is a need to develop the longterm health of the franchise.

so far in free agency Murray isn't doing anything rash. He's added a few minor league pieces and seems hell bent on rebuilding the success of the farm team. That speaks toward him having a longterm vision of how to rebuild the mess he took over.

The next step in that is what you're alluding to... we need to redevelop our prospects... as we just gave up a big chunk of ours over the past year.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                  Skoobasaurus-Rex
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by mightysimi View Post
                  it is for pat kane or seguin who were both leading the league in scoring when they went down
                  I understand but part of winning something is finishing. Getting injured is a usually a mix of bad luck & bad timing, just like scoring goals.

Comment

• Downinfloflo
                    Victimizing The Victimizer
                    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by coastal View Post

The next step in that is what you're alluding to... we need to redevelop our prospects... as we just gave up a big chunk of ours over the past year.
                    Damn near all of them, Hockey's Future dropped the Sabres down to 6th after the trades. (My bad 6th even before the trades)

Do the Sabres have any 1st or 2nd rounders left on the roster since Tyler Myers draft??

Myers, was traded he was a 1st round pick.

Kassian/Coho, traded/released he was a 1st round pick.

Zad, traded he was a 1st round pick.

Grigs, traded was a 1st round pick.

Armia, traded was a 1st round pick.

Did Murray part with 7 1st round picks in the last two years?
                    Last edited by Downinfloflo; 07-03-2015, 09:57 PM.

Comment

• Downinfloflo
                      • Aug 2012

The reason for my vacation, Life is better when you don't read the internet.

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                        • Aug 2012

kane had 64 points in 61 games. that comes out to 86 points over 82 games.

seguin had 77 in 71. that comes out to just under 89 points a full season.

that would have led the league in scoring. 89 points. so yes, scoring was down, which makes oreillys numbers a little more impressive.
                        Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• coastal
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Downinfloflo View Post
                          Damn near all of them, Hockey's Future dropped the Sabres down to 6th after the trades. (My bad 6th even before the trades)

Do the Sabres have any 1st or 2nd rounders left on the roster since Tyler Myers draft??

Myers, was traded he was a 1st round pick.

Kassian/Coho, traded/released he was a 1st round pick.

Zad, traded he was a 1st round pick.

Grigs, traded was a 1st round pick.

Armia, traded was a 1st round pick.

Did Murray part with 7 1st round picks in the last two years?
                          murray pretty much flushed Darcy and from a recent comment... doesn't think too highly of his predecessor's work.

I think moving forward he will be somewhat more conservative in his approach. I see him building the Amerk's up and then building the strengh of this organization over the next decade through the draft.

I do however think at some point he moves Reinhart for a top four defensemen.

Comment

• DetDannyWilliams
                            Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie.
                            • Feb 2013

The makeup of the extension is interesting. According to Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, all seven years come with a $1 million salary and the rest coming via signing bonuses. So O’Reilly protects himself from escrow and with all the bonus money, a buyout, sort of like what we saw with David Clarkson’s deal with the Maple Leafs.

The Avalanche were never going to be able to meet O’Reilly’s contract demands, so they found him a nice landing spot with the Sabres during Draft weekend. And if you want to blame anyone for O’Reilly’s $7.5 million cap hit, blame the Calgary Flames, who signed him to that giant offer-sheet in 2013, which was the beginning of the end for his time with Colorado.

That sound you just heard was Steven Stamkos laughing as he envisions the giant pile of money he’ll receive once he signs his extension.

Ryan O'Reilly inks creative 7-year, $52.5 million extension with Sabres

Comment

• Downinfloflo
                              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Ginger Vitis
                              FloFlos vacation was in the pokey
                              1997-99

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                                • Jan 2003

All picks by Darcy Regier. Maybe they were worth what we got back.

Comment

Working...
                                X