• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meathead
    Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
    • Jul 2002

Are the Sabres now a playoff team?

October marks a fresh start for the Sabres. No team - not the Oilers, Coyotes, Hurricanes or Maple Leafs - lost as many games (120) as Buffalo over the last two seasons. They lost 102 of those games in regulation alone, back-to-back 51-loss campaigns.

With such sweeping moves, are the Sabres now a playoff team?

“You’re never going to get me to say that,” Murray responded. “If we go to the Conference Finals in two years and you ask me (then) if we’re going to make the playoffs the next year, I’m not going to say that.”

The turnaround would be historic - but not necessarily unprecedented.

The last team to go from 30th place to the playoffs the following season was the 2007-08 Philadelphia Flyers.

Yes, this team is finally ready to jump tinto the top eight in the conference
    0%
    No, still not ready to make a run to the postseason
    0%

The poll is expired.

One set of rules for all in the beloved community
  • rbochan
    Zamboni Driver
    • Jun 2008

Re: Are the Sabres now a playoff team?

I don't even know who the **** is on this team.
    ...Rob

The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
    it's Don't Tread On Me.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
      • Feb 2005

IMO, they're gonna add 40 - 50 points onto last years total of 54... That could get them to top 3 in the Atlantic division... Playoff format includes the top 3 from each division with additional 2 wildcard teams to round out to 8 teams.
      Last edited by Yasgur's Farm; 07-06-2015, 07:14 AM.

Comment

• casdhf
        • Jul 2002

It will all be dependent on how fast the team gels. If they start slow, I hope they can close strong.
        Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
        cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• POTLAND PSILBYLO
          Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer
          • Nov 2012

The question is what would be the real record with trying to tank?

Comment

• trapezeus
            Legendary Zoner
            • Oct 2004

i think they have a shot at the 8th seed. especially with boston dismantling.

you also have to remember that teams did well because there were teams in the doghouse like the sabres, toronto (in the second half) and arizona. there were some legendarily bad teams giving up points to other teams routinely. if the sabres get better, they won't need to beat the 95+ points to get in. it should level out some more and give the 8th seed 83-88 points to get in.

it's doable, but you are asking a lot from the kids.

Comment

• WagonCircler
              Escaped Convict
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
              it's doable, but you are asking a lot from the kids.
              I think it's easy to forget that ROR and Kane are young, but not really kids. And I'm very interested to see what Ennis looks like with actual talent around him. I think Gionta has a decent season left in him too.

In any case, they will be much more fun to watch than they have been in years.

Comment

• coastal
                Legendary Zoner
                • Mar 2005

They're missing another top 4 D man... preferably a top pairing guy to play with Risto.

Lehner would have to become elite for them to make playoffs this year.

Here are the teams I think definitely make playoffs next year...

Tampa
                Capitals
                Senators
                Florida
                Montreal
                NY Rangers
                Columbus

That leaves Detroit, Pittsburgh, Boston and the Isles competing perhaps with the Sabres for the last spot. A lot would have to go really right.

Comment

• trapezeus
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Oct 2004

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                  I think it's easy to forget that ROR and Kane are young, but not really kids. And I'm very interested to see what Ennis looks like with actual talent around him. I think Gionta has a decent season left in him too.

In any case, they will be much more fun to watch than they have been in years.
                  yeah, and the sabres just didn't score last year. this year, it looks like if things gel, they could be a 3 goal a game team. i agree, they should be a lot more fun to watch.

i really hope kane finds his groove early. just a little postive movement forward early in the season could be enough to get the team in the right mind frame.

if kane and oreilly can take pressue off other guys and balance the offensive production with moulson and ennis, the younger guys will be able to find their game without as much pressure.

Comment

• POTLAND PSILBYLO
                    Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer
                    • Nov 2012

Oops I meant *without.*

Seriously. Were the sabres trying to win?

Comment

• mightysimi
                      Buckle me in on the highway of sin
                      • Mar 2010

It is a lot to ask for virtually every player still on the roster from last year to improve their play. One season turn arounds do happen but I think they are still a year off or more. The last thing to come for kids is usually the defensive responsibility and like had been said if Lehner doesn't stand on his head it is going to be tough to crack the top 8.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                        Escaped Convict
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mightysimi View Post
                        It is a lot to ask for virtually every player still on the roster from last year to improve their play..
                        But that's really not that many players, and by opening day it will be even less.

Comment

• mightysimi
                          Buckle me in on the highway of sin
                          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                          But that's really not that many players, and by opening day it will be even less.
                          I will admit I don't know the roster as well as you guys but won't it be at least half or 2/3rd returning or rookies coming up?

Comment

• Downinfloflo
                            Victimizing The Victimizer
                            • Aug 2012

Panthers and Blue Jackets are ahead of Buffalo, Pitt got the last playoff spot last season by beating Buffalo and finishing with 98 points.

Not a playoff team.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                              Escaped Convict
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mightysimi View Post
                              I will admit I don't know the roster as well as you guys but won't it be at least half or 2/3rd returning or rookies coming up?
                              Well, depending on what the line combinations end up being, it's likely that only two of the top 6 forwards, Moulson and Ennis, will be carryovers from last year's roster. The starting goaltender is new.

And the Defense, while a work in progress, just might include a player like Johnny Odouya.

And even among the carryovers on the remaining offensive lines, I think we can expect to see major improvement from Zemgus, changed personnel notwithstanding.

This is an unprecedented flip of a roster in one season, and it's magnified by the fact that they were trying to be bad for the past two years.

You're probably about right that about half of the roster will be returning, but when you look at the impact players and those who will get the most ice time, this team is almost unrecognizable when compared to last year's.

Comment

Working...
                              X