Russell Wilson - What would you pay and who would you trade for him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Re: Russell Wilson - What would you pay and who would you trade for him?

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
    It's gonna take more than that to get the cap room.
    I don't disagree, but that's a big chunk right there. Then we start thinning out at other places too, get Mario to restructure, cut Cassel, etc. Play some games with the contracts and convert some cap hit into bonuses. I'm no capologist but Pegulas have the cash and they'll figure this out.

Just imagine, Op, if we got Russell Wilson at QB and our D goes from top 3 to top 10, wouldn't you take that twice on Sundays? What would you have left to complain about then??
    Last edited by Mr. Miyagi; 07-07-2015, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• Victor7
      • Jul 2013

With our current team he might be worth some good players and/ or picks package.

Our defense is stellar and ready to compete with the best. I would gladly give up a nice combo. But it would have to be non disruptive to our defense otherwise it kinda beats the point of winning with defense and a non elite QB.

If we had a "regular" team per say I wouldn't really give much up for him. He's not that good to be honest. He's just in a very good situation over there with that defense and beast mode running all over everyone who dares step in front of him.

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
        I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
        I don't disagree, but that's a big chunk right there. Then we start thinning out at other places too, get Mario to restructure, cut Cassel, etc. Play some games with the contracts and convert some cap hit into bonuses. I'm no capologist but Pegulas have the cash and they'll figure this out.

Just imagine, Op, if we got Russell Wilson at QB and our D goes from top 3 to top 10, wouldn't you take that twice on Sundays? What would you have left to complain about then??
        Me:

Op: He will complain about it, billieve me!
        The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
          • Sep 2012

If they are dealing Wilson for cap reasons (they won't be, this is just fan dreaming) they are not taking on a big salary player in return. Sending them Dareus in return makes no sense from their perspective. If they got any players at all in the deal, they would be rookie capped guys like Watkins.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
            Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
            If they are dealing Wilson for cap reasons (they won't be, this is just fan dreaming) they are not taking on a big salary player in return. Sending them Dareus in return makes no sense from their perspective. If they got any players at all in the deal, they would be rookie capped guys like Watkins.
            Without Wilson they would have no use for a WR.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
              • Sep 2012

Without Wilson they would have no use for a WR.
              They wouldn't have a use for Jimmy Graham either by that rationale. They wouldn't deal Wilson if they didn't think they could replace him, and they would hope that someone they drafted with the 1sts they received could step in.

Comment

• Mace
                Haha...yeah you think so ?
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                Seattle has always had tight pockets and have over $9.5 currently available in cap space and a projected $38 million for next year (assuming $150 million cap).

So here is the issue at hand, the Hawks have 12 starters that are set to become FA's next year;
                Russell Wilson
                Russell Okung
                Jermaine Kearse
                Bruce Irvin
                Brandon Mebane
                Jon Ryan
                Bobby Wagner
                Ricardo Lockette
                JR Sweezy
                Tony McDaniel
                Will Blackmon
                Jeremy Lane

All of those players are guys they likely want to resign but have to find the money to do it. Giving Wilson $24+ million puts a huge hole in the projected $38 million in cap space. Okung is arguably a Top 10 LT and will get paid a good amount of money. Irvin, Wagner, and Mebane are guys who will also be getting hefty raises.

Also the Top 6 salaries for the Hawks next year are Richard Sherman, Marshawn Lynch, Cliff Avril, Jimmy Graham, Micheal Bennett, and Earl Thomas. None of those guys are getting reworked imo.

That's the issue the Hawks find themselves in currently.
                You know, that's why I think megabucks QB's are as much of a curse as a blessing these days. You either decimate your team to keep one, or count on your team to cushion your lack of one. I wonder if you aren't better off with a middling QB on a great team instead of trying to patch together a team around a megabucks one.

People won't like my saying it, but New England is fortunate to have Brady's lack of greed and a team concept that keeps salaries reasonable, with a solid enough organization to keep them upper level. It's remarkable.

I'd pass on Wilson, I'm still not sure he isn't the right guy in the right place at the right time with the right team in the right organization.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                  Peterman Sucks!
                  • Mar 2006

Realistically...

I don't know if the Bills would have enough to give up to acquire him.

Seattle, as DB already pointed out, is gonna have quite a few holes next season as they won't have the cap space to bring back everyone even if Wilson is traded or allowed to test FA.

Those holes will require young cheap talent. Seattle recycles receivers and doesn't care who's on the outside so guys like Watkins and Woods are likely out. Talent on the o-line that's good isn't cheap. D-line talent isn't cheap. LB talent isn't cheap. Secondary talent isn't cheap.

So realistically you're looking at the Bills being able to offer 1st and 2nd round picks for the next 2 to 3 seasons and I dunno if that would be enough to entice a trade. Although I might be willing to see them bite on Tyrod Taylor as he's a guy of similar skill set that maybe Pete Carroll thinks he could coach him up and get results with playing time.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                    Dances With Buffaloes
                    • Sep 2002

I'd give the Hawks whatever they wanted. RW is a good kid, a better QB and that just happens to be the most important position on the football field in the NFL right now.
                    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                      • May 2009

Russell Wilson will be demanding a huge contract, upwards of $25 million a year. Seattle is standing back at this point. Not that they would realistically trade him away, but there's a point where it's getting too expensive for them and the right offer would get a deal done. That would likely include a multiple player and draft picks deal.

We all think that we're a quarterback away from being elite. Which player would you trade along with draft picks for Wilson?
                      Nothing

Comment

• yordad
                        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                        People won't like my saying it, but New England is fortunate to have Brady's lack of greed and a team concept that keeps salaries reasonable, with a solid enough organization to keep them upper level. It's remarkable.
                        Do you not think for a second NE pays Brady under the table? Seems pretty obvious.
                        "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by GreedoII View Post
                          2 1sts and Dareus gets it done and sign him to the contract you were going to give Dareus.
                          If Seattle tags him, two first rnd picks is the most they can get.

Dareus is off the table.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by better days View Post
                            If Seattle tags him, two first rnd picks is the most they can get.

Dareus is off the table.
                            There is a higher level of franchise tag called an exclusive rights tag that prevents any other team from signing a guy to an offer sheet. It's crazy expensive, so it's only ever used on QBs, like Flacco and Brees. The Hawks would almost certainly use that tag if they were forced to.

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                              There is a higher level of franchise tag called an exclusive rights tag that prevents any other team from signing a guy to an offer sheet. It's crazy expensive, so it's only ever used on QBs, like Flacco and Brees. The Hawks would almost certainly use that tag if they were forced to.
                              Yeah, as you said though, that is CRAZY expensive.

The Hawks would be better off signing Wilson to a new contract than to put that tag on him.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by better days View Post
                                Yeah, as you said though, that is CRAZY expensive.

The Hawks would be better off signing Wilson to a new contract than to put that tag on him.
                                Absolutely true but the tag is the last resort to force him to stay. It gives them another 3-4ish months to get a deal done once others have set the market.

I imagine once either Luck or Wilson signs the other will be right behind.

Comment

Working...
                                X