Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ROR arrested for driving while impaired..

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: ROR arrested for driving while impaired..

the sabres should do something (suspension/ benching/docked pay etc). the coaches should talk to him (reclarify what is expected out of him and that it can't go on moving forward) and hopefully he responds to it positively.

If not, this is a complete disaster. seeing that we are less than 2 weeks away from the infraction, it's not minimizing how stupid he is. but we do have to see how he responds. if it never occurs again, he's a poster child delivering the message that what he did was dangerous and not a small deal, then some good comes out of it.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    When you just started a new high paying job, your decision making processes need to protect you from making poor choices / stupid decisions. So much for that happening here.
    What a lovely, self-righteous platitude.

But what would 90% of human beings would do after scoring $50 MIL? They'd party their balls off.

Was what he did stupid? Undeniably. If he had it to do over again, would he hire a cab or an uber? I'd bet my lungs on it.

But I wonder how many people on their high horses defended Marshawn Lynch when he fled the scene after hitting an actual person. How many whined that the Bills should never have traded him after seeing his success with the Seahawks?

And better yet, I wonder how many of you condemning him to 99 years in the slammer have ever driven at or above the legal limit.

He will pay an appropriate price. He will recover. Hopefully he will learn from this and never do it again. Hopefully others, especially young people, will learn from this.

Not defending O'Reilly or his actions. They were off-the-charts stupid, especially considering the resources available to him.

But the high horse hypocrisy is blinding.
    Last edited by WagonCircler; 07-15-2015 at 11:41 AM.

3. Post thanked by:

JATMtheJATM (07-15-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,218 Times in 3,687 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    What a lovely, self-righteous platitude.

But what would 90% of human beings would do after scoring $50 MIL? They'd party their balls off.

Was what he did stupid? Undeniably. If he had it to do over again, would he hire a cab or an uber? I'd bet my lungs on it.

But I wonder how many people on their high horses defended Marshawn Lynch when he fled the scene after hitting an actual person. How many whined that the Bills should never have traded him after seeing his success with the Seahawks?

And better yet, I wonder how many of you condemning him to 99 years in the slammer have ever driven at or above the legal limit.

He will pay an appropriate price. He will recover. Hopefully he will learn from this and never do it again. Hopefully others, especially young people, will learn from this.

Not defending O'Reilly or his actions. They were off-the-charts stupid, especially considering the resources available to him.

But the high horse hypocrisy is blinding.
    I celebrate at my mansion and order out catered food, maybe that's just to easy. How about Tahiti or Bora Bora, get hammered out of the country. There's smarter ways to behave & there's $50 Million reasons to think.
    Last edited by Skooby; 07-15-2015 at 12:52 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

i've never driven drunk or under the influence. i am paranoid about it and don't want to get caught. so i haven't done it. and i won't do it. so i am fine saying what he did was stupid and inexcusable.

at the same time, it is a first offense, and if he doesn't do it again based on light punishment, i'm fine with it. but alcoholics are the ones who won't change and can't gauge when they are impaired. and that's a big issue. especially when you are married to the guy for 7 years and you can't move him.

if he brushes this off, it really will be a nightmare. If he thinks its a non issue, can't see that he is a leader who shouldn't put the team in this situation, and potentially gives ownership/coaching staff the feeling that this probably will happen again, it has the potential of being Leino but worse. it's 7 years of a guy who may see himself as too good to follow rules.

if he can put this behind him and face the consequences for breaking the law and endangering others, then yeah, great he learned from his mistakes. and it's hockey as normal.

i already said earliers, what the sabres can do is limited by the low level penalties the NHL provides for cheap shots and nearly killing people with their sticks. an off ice incident where no one is harmed (the NHL key point on assessing suspensions) makes it seem like all the sabres can and should do at this point is a missed game after discussing with him on why this is occuring.

and Wagon, i was all for the ML trade at the time. i thought he pushed it too far, kept getting into trouble when it was obvious that he was on the cusp of a serious suspension. i didn't think it was worth it and i know we got beans for a guy who ultimately still plays at a high level, despite being a diva. i still don't mind that trade.

6. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (07-15-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 12,036 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    i've never driven drunk or under the influence. i am paranoid about it and don't want to get caught. so i haven't done it. and i won't do it. so i am fine saying what he did was stupid and inexcusable.

at the same time, it is a first offense, and if he doesn't do it again based on light punishment, i'm fine with it. but alcoholics are the ones who won't change and can't gauge when they are impaired. and that's a big issue. especially when you are married to the guy for 7 years and you can't move him.

if he brushes this off, it really will be a nightmare. If he thinks its a non issue, can't see that he is a leader who shouldn't put the team in this situation, and potentially gives ownership/coaching staff the feeling that this probably will happen again, it has the potential of being Leino but worse. it's 7 years of a guy who may see himself as too good to follow rules.

if he can put this behind him and face the consequences for breaking the law and endangering others, then yeah, great he learned from his mistakes. and it's hockey as normal.

i already said earliers, what the sabres can do is limited by the low level penalties the NHL provides for cheap shots and nearly killing people with their sticks. an off ice incident where no one is harmed (the NHL key point on assessing suspensions) makes it seem like all the sabres can and should do at this point is a missed game after discussing with him on why this is occuring.

and Wagon, i was all for the ML trade at the time. i thought he pushed it too far, kept getting into trouble when it was obvious that he was on the cusp of a serious suspension. i didn't think it was worth it and i know we got beans for a guy who ultimately still plays at a high level, despite being a diva. i still don't mind that trade.
    Yeah, but you can't assume he's an alcoholic because he got caught once. That's the mistake people keep making. If you like to party occasionally and make a mistake, you are labeled a drunk with a problem.
    Last edited by JATMtheJATM; 07-15-2015 at 03:21 PM.
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

8. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (07-15-2015)