How a Rookie Head Coach Derailed a Rookie Quarterback, then Vanished with $4 Million

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: How a Rookie Head Coach Derailed a Rookie Quarterback, then Vanished with $4 Mill

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
    the problem is that defense was built for the playoffs. the offense wasnt bad but was crippled by an oline that couldnt sustain protection so you needed a qb to make relatively quick decisions

ejs last two games he was so bad he basically pulled himself. when youve got orton sitting right there you pretty much have to play him at that point. if the team was a real bottom feeder then you let ej play it out but they werent
    IMO, It would have been fine to pull EJ for a few games. The mistake was to never play him again.

Even after Orton lost to the Raiders to keep the Bills out of the playoffs.

The only thing left to play for at that point was to develop the team including EJ for next year.

Comment

• Meathead
      Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
      • Jul 2002

Re: How a Rookie Head Coach Derailed a Rookie Quarterback, then Vanished with $4 Mill

i think the only valid criticism of nix and whaley is that they didnt throw a pick or three at a middle round qb at least once in a while

so they forced themselves to pick a qb that season, they traded down and still got the guy they decided was the best of that draft (still tbd), so im fine with that pick in and of itself

fitz was playing at a probowl level when they extended him. nobody knew he would immediately pull a jauron at that point

marrone was the second best rookie hc candidate that year, behind only the winnie the pooh lookin *****, so that was a good hire at the time
      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• trapezeus
        Legendary Zoner
        • Oct 2004

the stats are interesting and he describes it as pretty much a signifcant change in philosphy in week 4. it wasn't gradual. and it seems like maybe marrone was the stat junkie who saw poor 3rd down performance and conservatively decided to throttle the whole offense down a gear instead of seeing the success on 1st down as the key to avoid 3rd and long. Marrone definitely comes off as a guy who doesn't break down the figures well and really isn't much of a strategic guy. he just likes to do what he wants to do and hopes everyone can do it.

on the flip side, we've seen a lot of NFL qb's look good for the first 3-4 weeks, get figured out and struggle from there on out. i didn't really see that addressed in the article.

my feeling at this point is that ej was definitely hampered by the worst offensive coaching we've seen (and we've seen a lot of it over the years). However, the fact the new staff isn't raving about him, suggests that he probably had success because he was new. And more damning is that we all saw with our own eyes that his accuracy is weak.

had this staff seen him in OTA's and said, "well, that was odd that he didn't start last year from what we see," then this article would have really made me excited. but as it is right now, it seems to be taking the key piece of being brand new for weeks 1-3 out of the equation.

I hope EJ does magically get it in year three. Something that happens to a few players as well. but typically those guys had the chance to battle through poor performances on the field. Marrone's jettisoning the development of a qb, to win now and only get 9 wins and then ditch the team is disgusting. we should be angry at him for failing to deliver and handcuffing a team.

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

I doubt EJ will ever become a pinpoint accurate QB like Brady or Peyton Manning.

But if he can get just a little more accuracy, EJ can also create with his legs which Brady & Manning can't do.

I can't wait until the pads go on & we can see all of the QB's compete for the job.

It has been said by all the Bills players that Roman has a very diverse, creative, thick playbook.

I think the QB that can master that playbook will likely be the starter.

Comment

• djjimkelly
            • Apr 2003

the EJ question should have been answered last year problem is we had a pop warner coach who had his own agenda

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

I disliked Jauron but at least he had the balls to stick with the team.

I first didn't believe it when it was stated about Marrone looking after himself and his"brand" until he quit on the team.

I hope the bills pound the hell out of Marrones OL in England.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• JoeMama
                Emotion Sickness
                • Oct 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post

I first didn't believe it when it was stated about Marrone looking after himself and his"brand" until he quit on the team.

I don't think you have to do much hoping.

The Jags o-line is a trainwreck.

I think we'll get 6+ sacks on Bort.
                Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                  Peterman Sucks!
                  • Mar 2006

Are you starting to come around on Jauron, Justa?

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                    Are you starting to come around on Jauron, Justa?
                    Ha! No. My opinion still stands. Dick was not HC material. He doesn't even work in the nfl anymore ,does he?

Nice guy, players respected him. He was a pop warner HC.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                      Peterman Sucks!
                      • Mar 2006

Ha! No. My opinion still stands. Dick was not HC material. He doesn't even work in the nfl anymore ,does he?

Nice guy, players respected him. He was a pop warner HC.
                      Still the best HC here since Wade. And I agree he's a DC not a HC.

Comment

• Swiper
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by The King View Post
                        How a Rookie Head Coach Derailed a Rookie Quarterback, then Vanished with $4 Million

Or more correctly: How the Rookie Head Coach lifted the lame franchise to it's first winning record in years, then left abruptly when he recognized the crappy GM was going to force his garbage QB pick on him for yet another season

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                          Or more correctly: How the Rookie Head Coach lifted the lame franchise to it's first winning record in years, then left abruptly when he recognized the crappy GM was going to force his garbage QB pick on him for yet another season
                          Yeah, that's what happened. LMAO.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                            Here you go Marrone fan boy, click on this link and never look back, win/win for everyone.

Comment

• Historian
                              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                              • Dec 2002

I hold no ill-will towards Marrone, he did a good job here. Then he did the honorable thing if you're not 100% committed...he stepped down. (albeit with a pile of cash)

Given what has transpired in the last 7 months, I think it was a win-win for the organization and the fans, and if EJ has a future, I think you are going to find it out real quick. (say, by psg 2 or 3)

Personally, I don't know what to think. Half of me thinks he can't hit the broad side of a barn...the other half remembers the way he drove the team down and won the game against the Panthers as a rookie.

Which is the real EJ?

Most likely somewhere in=between.

Hopefully that's enough to compete at this level.

Comment

• Strongman
                                • Apr 2006

Interesting article, although it leads one to believe Moron left us for the OL gig with Jacksonville when in fact Moron thought he was a hot commodity and would land a head coaching gig someplace else. After no other team (wisely) would hire him, he settled for the Jacksonville job.

Still, the article makes a very good case that EJ was shortchanged by the previous coaching regime.

Comment

Working...
                                X