• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cookie G
    • Mar 2003

Re: 7/29: Marcia outraged: 'I did nothing wrong'

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
    A couple of questions...Is there any argument for relevance here? What does Brady's phone records exactly prove, especially with the records they already have from McNally and the other guy? This case isn't just about his phone, it's about a much broader issue. Other than that argument I can't think of one that Brady's camp would make to block this discovery. You?
    Sorry, busy weekend, just saw this.

As to whether the phone records are relevant, especially at the investigation phase, or in a civil case, the discovery phase. He was really asked to produce phone records related to preparation of game day balls...not necessarily records just from the equipment manager communications. These could have been communications with the GM, his QB coach, Belichick, Kraft, etc.

In addition, when you think someone is playing coy and not providing full information, a request is often made to catch them in a lie. By the way the request was phrease, I doubt that was the reason.

Originally posted by DraftBoy
    Yes, which is why the NFL's release that Brady destroyed the phone is more about PR than actual substance.
    It was actually used as a grounds to uphold the penalty, along with his initial refusal to produce them, along with some inconsistent statements of Braday.

Reading that part of the decision, I read into it a very pissed off Roger Goodell. He really took the role of a pissed off judge. When a judge thinks someone is thumbing their nose at the court...they go off.

There is no doubt in my mind that when Brady informed them, months after the fact, that he had destroyed his phone, Goodell took that as thumbing his nose at the NFL. And he compounded it by giving a bogus reason for doing so, (his "standard practice" of destroying his old phone when getting a replacement wasn't followed with the phone he had before the destroyed phone. He still had it when this investigation began, long after it had been replaced).

Goodell took the time to point all of this out in his decision. That sounded like a ticked off commissioner to me.

Which would shoot a large hole in any argument as to relevance, I would assume?
    When a decision maker goes off like Goodell did, the first question asked is whether they have grounds for what they did.

Here, I have little problem seeing the request as relevant.

Keep in mind, you have a question about equipment doctoring, with some evidence that it occured;
    You have the one person with the motive to doctor the equipment in the manner alleged;
    You have some questionable actions, such as a ball boy going into the ref's room, actually taking the balls, going into a room by himself with them and taking them directly to the field. (The refs were saying they never saw anyone do that before);
    You have the one player with the motivation to do so state in a national press conference that he basically had no idea about how anything occured;
    You discover this same player discovered to have talked to the equipment manager numerous times over a 3 day period, when he hadn't spoken to the guy for the prior 6 months. He called a meeting with him, something he had never done before;
    This same player, when questioned about these conversations, said he didn't recall the specifics of any of them, except that they might have been prepartion for the SB;

In other words...you have suspicious circumstances and suspect no. 1 isn't being fully honest in his statements. Since you can't take him at his word, you are required to verify everything.

The request was relevant.

Technically isn't him telling them that he destroyed the phone an honest answer to the question or request for the phone?
    Well yes...and? Because he answers one question truthfully, it isn't logical that all questions are answered honestly.

More importantly, it is not merely about answering questions, it is about producing information. he didn't.

Thanks for the info!
    There is one huge caveat in cell phone and e-communication cases. Technology is evolving, and the law is barely keeping up with it. Justice Kennedy, I think, in a case about 5 years ago warned people that the law is nowhere near settled in this area and warned of using specific cases as precedent.

Comment

• cookie G
      • Mar 2003

And most importantly..the best possible statement was made by the Judge in this case when he ordered immediate settlement talks. I have a feeling he knows this isn't good for the NFL, certainly not good for its star player and probably not something he wants to make a decision in. He sounds no nonsense,

If he takes an active role, I don't have much doubt that he can get one or both sides to back down. Often a simple statement such as "neither side is going to be happy with the decision I'm going to make" is enough to get it through their heads.

Comment

• Frenchman
        June and Summertime!
        • Apr 2012

It is only the beginning of Brady vs Goodell round 2!
        ​Ready for Summertime Fun!

Comment

• starrymessenger
          • Oct 2009

From what I'm given to understand the one and only substantive issue for the judge is whether due process was followed by the league or whether the actions of the Commissioner were unreasonable and such as to constitute bias. It doesn't even matter if the judge would himself have come to a different conclusion on the evidence than Goodell did. Since the CBA gives the Commissioner the authority to act as he did Brady looks to me to have no chance of succeeding. As for the judge encouraging the parties to consider a negotiated settlement I would not be surprised if this was pretty much procedural in all labour disputes. Regardless there will be no settlement here IMO because I don't see any middle ground given the positions taken.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
            And if he denies that, then we're supposed to just take your word for it? That's the situation we're in. He's not admitting to conducting business on his personal phone, so unless you're telling me the standard for this kind of thing should start at hearsay we're at an impasse.

- - - Updated - - -
            Whether he denies it or not is irrelevant to your comment...you stated, unequivocally, that it didn't happen, and you don't know that. Notice I said 'If'.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
              Does this also apply to the commissioner and other league employees and contractors, or is it only players that can negatively affect the integrity of the game?
              The snippet I posted was from the boiler-plate player contract from the CBA, so obviously that section applies only to players. I am not aware if other league employees have similar language in their contracts but I don't think it's a reach to expect that they do.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                Whether he denies it or not is irrelevant to your comment...you stated, unequivocally, that it didn't happen, and you don't know that. Notice I said 'If'.
                I did? If I stated then I misspoke.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Spartacus
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                  The snippet I posted was from the boiler-plate player contract from the CBA, so obviously that section applies only to players. I am not aware if other league employees have similar language in their contracts but I don't think it's a reach to expect that they do.
                  Whether or not it's in their contracts, there has to be the will to enforce.

The genesis of this whole cluster**** lies in the laps of the Ravens, Colts and the league.

The guy that sent the email to Grigson sayinjg it's "common knowledge" around the league that Brady ****s with the footballs "can't remember" who he heard say it.

So, what that means is that even though the Colts went to the league with allegations based on hearsay, they can't remember who that hearsay came from.

That's not kosher.

The fact is Colts management, Irsay and Grigson, have all the reasons in the world to set up and smear Tom Brady and the Pats, but has the league or it's investigators looked into a possible frame-up? Of course not.
                  My tebya razdavim

Comment

• Meathead
                    Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                    while all providers save text message metadata none of them save the content much longer then it takes to deliver it. So Brady's phone was the last copy of that information.
                    what? have we not seen full text messages taken from servers months later in other cases? or am i remembering that wrong
                    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Goodell: Hey Bob. Your boy cheated and here's what we'll do so I don't look like your puppet. You will accept fines and whatever and I will pretend to be harsh to your girl Marsha. 4 game suspension. Tell MArsha to get rid of the phone so I won't have any evidence just like the video gate . Then you will kick and whine and Marsha will take it to federal court. Of course she will win and you will look justified and I look good for defying you and we will have a laugh at this when we have dinner at your place. Mkay???
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• gr8slayer
                        • Feb 2005

I truly hope that he wins and does not get suspended. I want to face the Patriots with both teams at full strength.

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by gr8slayer View Post
                          I truly hope that he wins and does not get suspended. I want to face the Patriots with both teams at full strength.
                          We will face the CHEATERS at full strength the 2nd game in any case unless Brady gets injured.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by gr8slayer View Post
                            I couldn't care less about playing them at full strength. The Pats have faced us many times when we weren't at full strength and splattered us across the field.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• gr8slayer
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by better days View Post
                              We will face the CHEATERS at full strength the 2nd game in any case unless Brady gets injured.
                              Everyone keeps giving them **** for cheating, I say good for them. They just keep cheating, and the NFL just keeps letting them get away with it. Until the NFL gets serious about stopping it, I'd keep cheating my ass off if it's going to lead to more Super Bowls.

Comment

• ICRockets
                                Childish Fake Voter
                                • Jul 2008

Jesus Christ...Brady's camp continues to fumble this entire ordeal. Now it's being treated as breaking news that Tom Brady was never warned he would be punished for not turning over his cell phone.

Which would be a huge development, except Tom Brady was not suspended for not turning over his phone.

How many different ways can this douchebag squander a public feud with Roger ****ing Goodell? It's fascinating stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X