Thread: Does coaching bring out the best in a QB?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Does coaching bring out the best in a QB?

The stage is set. Norv Turner is going to do it again. Teddy Bridgewater is poised to have a good season under his tutelage. That and having Adrian Peterson back.

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN.com
    The history is pretty straightforward. He's made seven NFL stops as a coordinator or head coach. In five of them, he's pulled either the best or one of the best seasons of a quarterback's career. In a sixth instance, he rescued Alex Smith's career with the San Francisco 49ers after a disastrous rookie season.

Troy Aikman reached his highest single-season yardage total with the Dallas Cowboys under Turner in 1992. So did Doug Flutie for the 2001 Chargers. Gus Frerotte, playing for the Washington Redskins, made his only trip to the Pro Bowl in 1996. Jay Fiedler never had a higher passer rating as a starter than he did for Turner and the Miami Dolphins in 2002. Smith nearly doubled his rookie passer rating in 2006. The Chargers' Philip Rivers led the NFL in passer rating and touchdown passes in 2008 and yardage in 2010. Brian Hoyer threw for 590 yards and five touchdowns in his first two starts for Turner in 2013 before tearing his ACL while with the Cleveland Browns

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...s-in-minnesota

What has Lee done again? Made Ryan Fitzpatrick into a monster? No. Geno Smith? No. Revived Michael Vick's career? No.

Teddy Bridgewater may be poised to be the surprise break-out QB of 2015.

Bridgewater & Derek Carr were taken just a few picks in front of Whaley taking Cyrus Kouandijo. He couldn't trade up to get one of those QBs??? Oh wait. We had taken a top 10 QB the year prior. The same guy that was taking reps with the 2nd team in camp yesterday behind 2 other guys. I wish we had gotten Norv Turner. Instead we get retread Lee. And traded up last year.
    Last edited by swiper; 08-01-2015 at 04:59 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,530 Times in 17,423 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Does coaching bring out the best in a QB?

It can. It's a coach's job to put his players in the best situation to succeed, and Turner has a pretty good track record as OC or positional coach. Would've been more than fine if he had landed here instead of Roman.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

3. Post thanked by:

swiper (08-01-2015)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,490 Times in 9,187 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    It can. It's a coach's job to put his players in the best situation to succeed, and Turner has a pretty good track record as OC or positional coach. Would've been more than fine if he had landed here instead of Roman.
    Hard to say. It comes down to whether Norv can coach bad QB's up better than Roman can avoid the problem of bad QB's, but the QB's are still not so good.

It's useless I know, but I still would have loved to see what could have happened with Gailey/Kaepernick Pistol/Pistol.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Nope.

What good did Norv Turner do for Brandon Weeden?

And he rescued Alex Smith? Smith didn't do much of anything in the NFL until 3 years after Turner left SF.

Doug Flutie was awesome in 2001 when Norv was there!

Norv's expert tutelage turned Heath Shuler into a stud, oh wait.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Nope.

What good did Norv Turner do for Brandon Weeden?

And he rescued Alex Smith? Smith didn't do much of anything in the NFL until 3 years after Turner left SF.

Doug Flutie was awesome in 2001 when Norv was there!

Norv's expert tutelage turned Heath Shuler into a stud, oh wait.
    He got a lot more out of a rookie, in Weeden, than anyone else would have.

The Meathead of Muslims! ticatfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,538 Times in 2,765 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Look at Marc Trestman and what he has done for QBs. He took Anthony Calvillo in his later yrs in Montreal and he put up his best numbers ever.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    The stage is set. Norv Turner is going to do it again. Teddy Bridgewater is poised to have a good season under his tutelage. That and having Adrian Peterson back.

[/URL]

What has Lee done again? Made Ryan Fitzpatrick into a monster? No. Geno Smith? No. Revived Michael Vick's career? No.

Teddy Bridgewater may be poised to be the surprise break-out QB of 2015.

Bridgewater & Derek Carr were taken just a few picks in front of Whaley taking Cyrus Kouandijo. He couldn't trade up to get one of those QBs??? Oh wait. We had taken a top 10 QB the year prior. The same guy that was taking reps with the 2nd team in camp yesterday behind 2 other guys. I wish we had gotten Norv Turner. Instead we get retread Lee. And traded up last year.
    I think co-ordinators not position cositions are vital. That's why I got upset when we brought in Nate Hackett to be our OC in Manuel's rookie year as felt he better suited as QB coach and then bring in a proven OC mind. As Gailey made something out of Kordell Stewart, Thigpen and Fitzpatrick. So I think coaching does say something about a player. Roman did something with Alex Smith and to a degree Kaepernick, time will tell what he does with whomever we start.

The Meathead of Muslims! ticatfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,538 Times in 2,765 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ticatfan View Post
    Look at Marc Trestman and what he has done for QBs. He took Anthony Calvillo in his later yrs in Montreal and he put up his best numbers ever.
    I forgot to mention that cutler has his best yr with trestman at the helm in Chicago.