Thread: Ryan's defense so far...

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Ryan's defense so far...

Going back to the 3-4, 4-3 debate and personnel usage in it, I know it's still early, but this might be a good indicator this isn't a typical Fairbanks-Bullough 3-4...

Defensive line: Not much has been written about the players vying for playing time behind the Bills' Pro Bowl defensive tackles, mostly because the Bills have been working in a '46' alignment as their base defense. In that look, per Capaccio, there are only two defensive tackles on the field. A pass rusher will put his hand in the dirt and line up inside the tackle, and Manny Lawson plays behind him as the strong-side linebacker. In effect, then, that pass rusher sliding inside is the guy that is preventing players like Alex Carrington, Jarius Wynn, Stefan Charles, Corbin Bryant, and Andre Fluellen from perhaps seizing more than just a depth role.
    http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2015...l-tyrod-taylor

Leads back to Williams/Williams/Dareus/Hughes shifted sideways, no pure NT, with a stacked line. Mario slides to tackle, Kyle to nose, Dareus to end/tackle (or vice versa), Hughes a stand up linebacker/end....4-6.

2. Post thanked by:

swiper (08-03-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Ryan's defense so far...

Rex has said his defense is constantly evolving.

He said the defense this year may have some similarities to Pettine's defense, but it will not be the same as Pettine's defense or to previous defenses he has run.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Rex has said his defense is constantly evolving.

He said the defense this year may have some similarities to Pettine's defense, but it will not be the same as Pettine's defense or to previous defenses he has run.
    Yes, but it's not a cookie cutter 3-4 in any sense, which goes back to the previous debate about the Bills not having a pure NT for a 3-4, or adequate lb's to fill it out.

5. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (08-04-2015)

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

i like when rex says we dont go by the book, we invented the book
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

7. Post thanked by:

better days (08-03-2015),Jimkelly12203 (08-03-2015),Luisito23 (08-03-2015),Mace (08-03-2015),The last buffalo fan (08-04-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,470 Times in 7,087 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He said he would take a few.
    pages off of Schwartz's playbook. I hope he does. We got to the QB without blitzing last year.

9. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (08-04-2015),Mace (08-03-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    pages off of Schwartz's playbook. I hope he does. We got to the QB without blitzing last year.
    I don't think he can control himself. That will be awesome when it works. I'm hoping the pages are when it doesn't work and the line and a middle drop safety will do just fine.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,559 Times in 17,443 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I can't wait to actually see some game shots of the alignment, but a few questions regarding the link...

"Only two defensive tackles"? Unless it's a jumbo formation, when typically is there more than 2 DT's on the field at a time?
    The base 46 defense had 4 lineman, a MLB, both OLB's on the weak side and the SS in the box. Has that been the alignment Sal is referring to?
    I'm assuming Hughes and Williams will flip, with one manning the 'strong side pass rusher' on the line and the other playing DE weakside? If so, that's far from a 34, and much closer to a traditional 43 or even Schwartz's Wide9 and I'd be more than fine if that serves as the base, but it won't be anything even closely resembling Pettine's defense.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

12. Post thanked by:

coastal (08-08-2015),jimmifli (08-04-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I can't wait to actually see some game shots of the alignment, but a few questions regarding the link...

"Only two defensive tackles"? Unless it's a jumbo formation, when typically is there more than 2 DT's on the field at a time?
    The base 46 defense had 4 lineman, a MLB, both OLB's on the weak side and the SS in the box. Has that been the alignment Sal is referring to?
    I'm assuming Hughes and Williams will flip, with one manning the 'strong side pass rusher' on the line and the other playing DE weakside? If so, that's far from a 34, and much closer to a traditional 43 or even Schwartz's Wide9 and I'd be more than fine if that serves as the base, but it won't be anything even closely resembling Pettine's defense.
    It really is a stacked 4-3, with linebackers and linemen being called either.

Mario Williams lines up as a DT, but he's not a DT, a standard 3-4 has one DT, nose. Some linemen line up as LB's, some lb's line up as linemen. I got the idea "only" 2 DT's meant two dedicated alignment DT's, like if Mario slides to DT, you know Kyle and Dareus are still DT's if not lining up as such, like lining up 3 DT's and calling them DT's make you think there are no ends, even if a LB is playing end by formation. Lawson is not a DE but may appear to be one.

Base 4-6 you mention, actually has more linemen on the line, if not being linemen, some are linebackers, ready to fill LB role or drop and not be linemen, or ready to fill linemen role, while some linemen are going to fill other roles.

I think what I'm trying to say, is that they lineup in a way to present a look that isn't necessarily a role they will carry out, while a standard 3-4 with a space eating line clogging NT presents a specific limitation. That monstrous DT is not going to drop, switch or surprise you much, that defense is what it is.

Ryans 3-4 is actually a 4-3 playing 4-6.

They'll be snaps in preseason, but I'm guessing it will be same formations, different roles per play.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    True many times.

But there were some CRITICAL times, a little more pressure from the Blitz might have made a difference in the game.

15. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (08-04-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 902 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This really makes the return of a healthy McKelvin important.

If they run something with 46 basics with any regularity, they need extremely reliable corners that can press off the snap and hold their own for a little time.

I'd trust McKelvin more than a rookie in that role, and watch out for penalties. Receivers get a bit more protection now.

17. Post thanked by:

Mace (08-06-2015),Meathead (08-04-2015),swiper (08-08-2015),The last buffalo fan (08-04-2015)

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It may be that they are describing a more traditional 3-4 as essentially a 3 DT front, since none of those three is likely to rush around the edge.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
    It may be that they are describing a more traditional 3-4 as essentially a 3 DT front, since none of those three is likely to rush around the edge.
    I don't think they are though, traditional 3-4 is Fairbanks-Bullough which was Yardrat's original worry, because it needs a two gap run stuffer NT and two OLB's we don't have. On the comfort side of that though, Ryan has never used such.

Even I, will admit if they try that it will be tragic.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,559 Times in 17,443 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I don't think they are though, traditional 3-4 is Fairbanks-Bullough which was Yardrat's original worry, because it needs a two gap run stuffer NT and two OLB's we don't have. On the comfort side of that though, Ryan has never used such.

Even I, will admit if they try that it will be tragic.
    Pettine learned the trade from somebody, and that somebody was Rex.

Can't wait to see some live action, I won't be as disappointed and will be more encouraged if the base is closer to a 46 front.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I agree, but Pettine didn't run a Fairbanks-Bullough standard 3-4 either. I posted the links a long time ago to the pics of Pettine/Schwartz/Ryan alignments and they're all essentially 4-3 with position variations revolving around placement of LB's and linemen either shifted to a side, wide, back or up front. None of them had three down linemen and 4 lb's back though, regarding Rex and Pettine, which is your cookie cutter 3-4.

22. Post thanked by:

swiper (08-08-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Can't wait to see some live action, I won't be as disappointed and will be more encouraged if the base is closer to a 46 front.
    I can't wait for the Browns & Bills scrimmage, should be interesting.