Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In keeping day 1, day 2, day 3 progression going

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

In keeping day 1, day 2, day 3 progression going

EJ wins day 4. Thought it's only fair to report.
    http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08...y-four-report/
    EJ Manuel: Took a big step in the right direction after struggling badly on Saturday and Sunday. Really needed this performance. Best throw of the night was a deep connection with Sammy Watkins. Showed good accuracy on other long throws and in goal-line situations. Did a good job of taking what the defense was giving, which, as usual, wasn't a whole lot.
    Last edited by Yasgur's Farm; 08-04-2015 at 06:20 AM.

2. Post thanked by:

Joe Fo Sho (08-04-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,296 Times in 13,726 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: In keeping day 1, day 2, day 3 progression going

I'm hoping EJ comes around but it's seeming less and less likely every day. He's only managed to outplay Cassell and Taylor in one practice out of 4, and those two aren't exactly stiff competition.

4. Post thanked by:

Lucidvizion (08-04-2015),Yasgur's Farm (08-04-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I agree OP... Best for the franchise if EJ's light comes on...
    1) Cassel's uderwhelming camp, career and age.
    2) Taylor's stature seems a bit too frail to take advantage of his strength as a runner... He won't hold up IMO.

6. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (08-04-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I'm hoping EJ comes around but it's seeming less and less likely every day. He's only managed to outplay Cassell and Taylor in one practice out of 4, and those two aren't exactly stiff competition.
    According to Joe Buscaglia, EJ had the best day 2.

So EJ had 2 of the best 4 days.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Wink Re: In keeping day 1, day 2, day 3 progression going

I was at the practice. EJ was WAY better than others yesterday. He was decisive and putting the ball where it needed to be most of the time. A couple of the throws that you may see some complaints about were missteps or stumbles by the receiver. Indeed, EJ would have had two long TDs to Watkins but Watkins stumbled.

Cassel throws a wobbler and had accuracy issues when throwing to receivers.

Taylor absolutely was sacked on his long one to Sammy--the D let up. He was also not very accurate and seemed to wait forever to throw it on a number of occasions.
    Last edited by tomz; 08-04-2015 at 08:33 AM. Reason: typo

9. Post thanked by:

better days (08-04-2015),The last buffalo fan (08-04-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by tomz View Post
    I was at the practice. EJ was WAY better than others yesterday. He was decisive and putting the ball where it needed to be most of the time. A couple of the throws that you may see some complaints about were missteps or stumbles by the receiver. Indeed, EJ would have had two long TDs to Watkins but Watkins stumbled.

Cassel throws a wobbler and had accuracy issues when throwing to receivers.

Taylor absolutely was sacked on his long one to Sammy--the D let up. He was also not very accurate and seemed to wait forever to throw it on a number of occasions.
    All reports I have read put Tyrod a distant 3rd to EJ & Cassel.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

while i think QB is a huge issue, we need to see what the line can do. if they can get that run game to work, then whatever qb shows that they can dink and dunk to keep teams honest is the one we want.

but i am perplexed how having these 3 ends up being a real solution for SB aspirations. I would have liked EJ to come into camp on fire. have a chip on his shoulder. only one guy remains from the people who drafted him. and he seems less likely to want to be tied to that pick. EJ needs to be a hands down winner for the bills to be a real team on the rise.

otherwise all we have is a team with the potential of being a playoff team. that is a really low ceiling.

don't get me wrong, i'll love making the playoffs this year, but it's been so long, that it would be a lot of fun to get in and do some damage. Even if cassels wins the job, i can't see him lasting more than 4 weeks. either injured or ineffective by the quarter way point.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,469 Times in 7,086 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

"holy smokes, we cut the wrong guy. Someone please call that Tuel guy back from Jax. "

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Cassel's edge (if any) is not worth his salary IMO. Looks to me like we roll with EJ and Tyrod, for better or worse...Sims to PS

14. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post
    while i think QB is a huge issue, we need to see what the line can do. if they can get that run game to work, then whatever qb shows that they can dink and dunk to keep teams honest is the one we want.

but i am perplexed how having these 3 ends up being a real solution for SB aspirations. I would have liked EJ to come into camp on fire. have a chip on his shoulder. only one guy remains from the people who drafted him. and he seems less likely to want to be tied to that pick. EJ needs to be a hands down winner for the bills to be a real team on the rise.

otherwise all we have is a team with the potential of being a playoff team. that is a really low ceiling.

don't get me wrong, i'll love making the playoffs this year, but it's been so long, that it would be a lot of fun to get in and do some damage. Even if cassels wins the job, i can't see him lasting more than 4 weeks. either injured or ineffective by the quarter way point.
    I don't think anyone honestly thinks these qb's will get us a SB. But we had no first round pick to draft or trade for one, and even if we did, the QB's available this off-season were not great. This was the best they could do given the situation.

That being said, it still has dire implications on the field. This franchise's inability to find a QB is appalling. I mean, I know we aren't going to be able to draft the next Joe Montana every year and every team has QB misses, but we are coming up on 20 years without a good QB. That's just pathetic.

16. Post thanked by:

The last buffalo fan (08-04-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He was having his worst night for an hour and a half....so he is good for it in the last 40 minutes?

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/7-b...rvations-day-4

1) Manuel struggles mightily early, finishes strong
    - Sunday was a humbling day for third-year player and former first-round pick EJ Manuel. Manuel missed way too many throws he should be making and failed to pull the trigger when players were open down the field. That type of performance continued through the first hour-and-a-half of practice, with Manuel just missing throw after throw. It reached a low point in team work, when Manuel missed Marquise Goodwin on a flag route to the left sideline, under-throwing the target by six-to-eight yards. He followed that up by staring down the target on his next throw — a slant pattern — where Bacarri Rambo easily read his eyes and jumped the route, but he couldn’t secure the catch. After that, EJ Manuel non-bigoted up. He found Sammy Watkins deep down the left sideline for a touchdown, and then in red zone work, had a would-be touchdown negated by a MarQueis Gray drop, and then found Marcus Easley for a touchdown from about 10 yards out. The final few throws were the type of performance the Bills want to see from him, but to this point it’s been too few scattered. Consistency is the key.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't think anyone honestly thinks these qb's will get us a SB. But we had no first round pick to draft or trade for one, and even if we did, the QB's available this off-season were not great. This was the best they could do given the situation.

That being said, it still has dire implications on the field. This franchise's inability to find a QB is appalling. I mean, I know we aren't going to be able to draft the next Joe Montana every year and every team has QB misses, but we are coming up on 20 years without a good QB. That's just pathetic.
    i don't expect these qb's to be able to take us there. but you see my point, right? we have a legendary defense last year that seems to be helped. some of the best players are in their prime. We aren't talking about their potential. They are at the potential and wowing people. it's a short window to succeed. and we literally have no qb, and no real hope at getting one.

aside from rivers who may just be done with SD, the bills won't lose enough games to be in the top 5. and we don't know who the top qb is, etc. even if we want rivers, will we have the money for a rivers?

I really hope that this team just gets hot at the right time in december, but rationally thinking, it seems like we have a great thing, but we don't have the marginal qb who can keep the machine running. it seems to me that the playoffs are our ceiling, realistically. then after that, knowing that cassel won't win you a playoff game, we'll be stuck with ej who will have been a failure, tyrod who wasn't more than a back up and a really old cassel.

19. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (08-04-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Oh we are definitely squandering some great talent on D and at WR with our inability to find a QB. And it's not the first time....

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by HHURRICANE View Post
    He was having his worst night for an hour and a half....so he is good for it in the last 40 minutes?

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/7-b...rvations-day-4

1) Manuel struggles mightily early, finishes strong
    - Sunday was a humbling day for third-year player and former first-round pick EJ Manuel. Manuel missed way too many throws he should be making and failed to pull the trigger when players were open down the field. That type of performance continued through the first hour-and-a-half of practice, with Manuel just missing throw after throw. It reached a low point in team work, when Manuel missed Marquise Goodwin on a flag route to the left sideline, under-throwing the target by six-to-eight yards. He followed that up by staring down the target on his next throw — a slant pattern — where Bacarri Rambo easily read his eyes and jumped the route, but he couldn’t secure the catch. After that, EJ Manuel non-bigoted up. He found Sammy Watkins deep down the left sideline for a touchdown, and then in red zone work, had a would-be touchdown negated by a MarQueis Gray drop, and then found Marcus Easley for a touchdown from about 10 yards out. The final few throws were the type of performance the Bills want to see from him, but to this point it’s been too few scattered. Consistency is the key.
    In a game situation, the end of the game is the time to be good.

Rex said next Saturdays intersquad scrimmage will be important with decisions made from results of that practice.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by trapezeus View Post

If the QB can only dink & dunk, defenses are going to crowd the line of scrimmage.

We need a QB that can sling the ball downfield to loosen up defenses.

Even if there are a number of balls that hit the ground, the threat of a long pass for a TD will keep defenses honest.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Log balls hitting the ground won't keep the defense honest.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Log balls hitting the ground won't keep the defense honest.
    Yes they will, one long TD pass=a quick 7 points.

And no single CB is going to cover Watkins, Woods or Harvin.

Even with safety help, those three WR's have to cause concern for defenses.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    Yes they will, one long TD pass=a quick 7 points.

And no single CB is going to cover Watkins, Woods or Harvin.

Even with safety help, those three WR's have to cause concern for defenses.
    They'll let Watkins run right by if they know our QB can't complete the pass.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Correction... When Fitz was QB, they would let WR's run past them because he didn't have the arm to get it to them. All of our QB's have the arm. The CB's have to stay honest even if the completion rate is only 25%.

27. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

They'll let Watkins run right by if they know our QB can't complete the pass.
    No they won't because EJ can complete a pass now & again & they will never know when that will come for a quick 7 points.

Go on the official Bills board & you can watch video of EJ completing long passes for TD's.