Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OL

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

OL

I was impressed with them I like the way we are going to play. Our Gus pushed forward on every run which is a nice change from past fees years getting bullied over.

Miller will start I think that is a done deal.

Henderson or Cryus I thought both played well your thoughts?

2. Post thanked by:

Buffalogic (08-16-2015),HHURRICANE (08-16-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: OL

My thoughts; I remember arguing with Opiv before the draft about the OL.

I said the OL would be much better than last year, Op disagreed.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,621 Times in 17,487 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's early, and I didn't get a chance to focus on individual players. I have hope.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Miller didn't look out of place and we seemed to give Cassel ppenty of time when he was in there. Also not sure Panthers have a great pass rush to judge them on. Though the running ge looked better than we saw last year which is vital to our success. I'm not sure of the depth afrer Urbik and Kujo.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    Miller didn't look out of place and we seemed to give Cassel ppenty of time when he was in there. Also not sure Panthers have a great pass rush to judge them on. Though the running ge looked better than we saw last year which is vital to our success. I'm not sure of the depth afrer Urbik and Kujo.
    Urbik & Kujo are the depth.

Urbik will back up the interior OL & Kujo will back up the tackles.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,409 Times in 9,123 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post

And Richardson looks like he will stick. He seems to be progressing as well.

8. Post thanked by:

better days (08-16-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,428 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

But not developing someone that could supplant Urbik is dosheartening as he getting up there in age. Kujo might not ever develpp to hos draft stock which males me wprry Henderson is starting by default ans in back of my mind see Henderson switching over to LT to replace an un resigned Glenn and Kujo moving in at RT. Ie the same old Bills. That all said Pegula we did retain Hughes this offseason amd add McCoy which don't think happen under Wilson so perhaps just overly worroed.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The Jokeman View Post
    But not developing someone that could supplant Urbik is dosheartening as he getting up there in age. Kujo might not ever develpp to hos draft stock which males me wprry Henderson is starting by default ans in back of my mind see Henderson switching over to LT to replace an un resigned Glenn and Kujo moving in at RT. Ie the same old Bills. That all said Pegula we did retain Hughes this offseason amd add McCoy which don't think happen under Wilson so perhaps just overly worroed.
    I could see it play out as you say, with Henderson replacing Glenn & Kujo replacing Henderson on the right side.

But who is to say Henderson & Kujo can't improve this year & next from the players they were last year?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,633 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'd still take Evan Mathis

12. Post thanked by:

jimmifli (08-16-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

1st unit looked pretty solid in limited work though I don't consider anybody on Carolina's DL from that game anybody who should even give us a challenge, especially with Lotulelei not playing.

The 2nd unit was strong run blocking, but the pass blocking still had issues. Taylor's feet got him out of a few sacks that would of occurred normally imo.

Cleveland should give us a good test on Thursday if they bring in some of their blitzing schemes to try and bring pressure from multiple levels.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,105 Times in 3,584 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I look forward to seeing Taylor play behind the first unit, and hopefully Incognito is back for it. He'll improve the OL even more.

15. Post thanked by:

better days (08-17-2015),Buffalogic (08-17-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm glad they pushed on run blocking. And the scheme looked good.

But I didn't see a much that indicated they had the pass blocking figured out. Cassel threw 3 yard passes and Taylor ran.

17. Post thanked by:

Buffalogic (08-16-2015),cookie G (08-16-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,914 Times in 4,029 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

A decent All 22 set of vids here:

http://billsmafia.com/2015/08/16/bre...season-opener/

In the 1st pass play, I think someone on the Caroline DL blew their assignment. It looked like they had a stunt on and no one came through the gap Miller vacated. He really didn't drive the DT several yards, he just took the guy the way he wanted to go.

Nothing wrong with that. But looking at the size of the hole, I could have seen TT taking off on that play.

BTW...Cassel stared down Clay the whole time. And a decent throw, nothing wrong with it. But the vid doesn't show it, but Robert Wood's cover guy gave up on him when he saw Cassel staring down Clay. Woods had 5 yards on him 25 yards down the field, with nothing between him and the endzone.

On both running plays shown, one thing is overlooked in the article. Jerome Felton cut down someone in the backfield, someone who would have probably stopped Shady for a loss. FB's are supposed to be out of fashion in NFL..but never underestimate their value in a running game.

Richardson's block on the dive play didn't surprise me, he was probably the best run blocking guard last year...but his pass pro was so bad, you couldn't keep him in the game. But I will say..on that play, he looked like he had fun. A guard getting a clean shot on a LB...that's a glory shot for them.

Good lord, did the Bills actually run off tackle? Been a while since we've seen that.

19. Post thanked by:

better days (08-17-2015),bleve (08-16-2015),jimmifli (08-17-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 1,507 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

it's amazing what (mostly) the same unit that led CJ Spiller to a 5.6 YPC average over an entire year can do when the coaches are not incompetent.

If anything, this unit is more talented than that one.

Marone is a really ****ty person but he's an even worse Offensive line coach.
    All Hail Josh Allen! Savior of the Buffalo Bills!

Freedom for the Ukraine. Down with Putin and every traitor in this country that supports him.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,428 Times in 2,006 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I thought our biggest problem last year was coaching, followed by OG talent and an overall lack of experience/depth.

I think we've improved quite a bit in all areas, so I'm expecting the OL to be pretty solid. I thought they played pretty well in the first game and it was nice to hear McCoy have a lot of high praise for them after the game.

22. Post thanked by:

Buffalogic (08-17-2015),SPG (08-17-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mouldsie View Post
    I'd still take Evan Mathis
    I would rather have Incognito than Mathis.

Richie is younger & cheaper & a mauler which Mathis is not.

The Bills don't need to waste money or cap space on an old expensive finesse Guard.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,633 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Put on the tape of Incognito's last 8 games in the NFL and Mathis' last 8 and say that again with a straight face.

But hell, that's fine if you like the delta bravo, let Incognito battle Wood for the Center job.

Incognito was a tire fire his last year before dismissal. Mathis is a top 5 guard in the league with plenty of power. Just because he's athletic doesn't mean he can't push guys around

25. Post thanked by:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,105 Times in 3,584 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mouldsie View Post
    Put on the tape of Incognito's last 8 games in the NFL and Mathis' last 8 and say that again with a straight face.

But hell, that's fine if you like the delta bravo, let Incognito battle Wood for the Center job.

Incognito was a tire fire his last year before dismissal. Mathis is a top 5 guard in the league with plenty of power. Just because he's athletic doesn't mean he can't push guys around
    That's because he had to compensate for Jon Martin to his left.

27. Post thanked by:

better days (08-18-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,484 Times in 7,098 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

they got PWNED by Pettine......maybe the OL was practicing vanilla

Tyrod Taylor, who will start Thursday's preseason game, took nine snaps with the first-team offense and was sacked four times. Three of his other plays were runs, one was a completion to Woods on a short route and another was an attempt to Marquise Goodwin that was broken up by Browns cornerback Tramon Williams.

When Taylor saw three reps with the second team at the end of practice, he underthrew Dezmin Lewis for an incompletion, handed off to Bronson Hill and was sacked again.

Manuel was also sacked once in nine reps with the second-team offense and one-hopped a pass to Lewis at one point.

The problems with the Browns' blitz-heavy scheme extended to Cassel's 11 snaps with the first team. He was sacked three times and had two other passes broken up by Williams.

The Bills also committed three false start penalties and were called for a delay of game.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bill...joint-practice

Thanks
    Thanked 26,345 Times in 13,755 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

My thoughts; I remember arguing with Opiv before the draft about the OL.

I said the OL would be much better than last year, Op disagreed.
    And I still don't see how Miller, Incognito and coaching are supposed to be enough to fix the train wreck of an OL that we had last year.

Admittedly they looked better than I thought they would but a) as Draftboy pointed out, it wasn't exactly the stiffest competition and b) the first unit had limited work in one preseason game, so it's far too soon to jump to conclusions.