Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: it's time to stop d***ing around...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 853 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: it's time to stop d***ing around...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    Dink, dunk, read option run was the first half offense...

He did exactly what people blasted Cassel for last week throwing the ball, and now people want to anoint Taylor the starter? And he did that while Cleveland's best corner didn't even play.

He showed absolutely nothing that he won the QB job. Hell, EJ Manuel outperformed him last night.
    and mr pink strongly dislikes EJ

what i see from this competion is that all 3 are about the same. i still say EJ has the most upside.

i dont care who wins the job i just want the bills to win :)

2. Post thanked by:

better days (08-21-2015),Mr. Pink (08-21-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,914 Times in 5,306 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    This team is fuct.

No QB, no playoffs.

And we have no QB.
    And Whaley is still employed why exactly?

4. Post thanked by:

sudzy (08-21-2015),WagonCircler (08-21-2015)

Retired - On Several Levels Night Train's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,240 Times in 7,618 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

LOL. That it's driving some people crazy is awesome.

Rex impresses me even more by refusing to announce the QB. He probably wants to sit down behind closed doors with Roman and discuss it over the next 24 hours. It's probably Taylor but I wouldn't die if it was Cassel. Our QB situation isn't anything great but it's not nearly as dire as many here believe.

The real worry is getting the RB's and WR's healthy for the Indy opener. Focus on that.

6. Post thanked by:

Novacane (08-22-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,288 Times in 13,721 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ICRockets View Post
    This is such a bull**** argument. Russell Wilson is undersized, too. He's still the guy under center for the 2-time defending NFC Champions. Durability has not been a concern for him.
    When all else fails, rely on the old BZ mantra of using the exception to prove the rule.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    the Tyrod love comes from homers desperate to convince themselves that the team is making the playoffs rather than facing reality this early.

Don't get me wrong- he's probably the best shot we have. But it's still not much of a shot.
    homer? we have 4 qbs. two that have no shot to be the starter.

in all the previous preseasons, we saw tire fires after tire fires with people saying, "oh, they aren't game planning, it'll be different once it starts".

I saw an offense that ran for 3-4 yards a carry with the 6th and 7th running back on our depth chart. they ran basic plays and they worked. the throws were catchable (sans the throw away). There were no INTs.

homers were the guys looking at the last few preseasons and thinking it would be different.

i saw a team that actually looked like a capable NFL team that doesn't need too many excuses. Clearly they need to clean it up and let gameplanning create mismatches. but the plays i saw worked.

Ej on the other hand threw worm burners as well as a TD pass. it's too inconsistent. that makes for short drives and ultimately lose the field goal battle.

Tyrods ability to simply move the ball all half, keeps the defense fresh and hopefully wears down a team.

That being said, tyrod needs to improve on making throws when he's moving and not rely on run. he also needs to slide or he's not making it through the season.

supporting tyrod at this point is not a declaration that he'll be an allstar, but he gives us the best shot at making the playoffs.

9. Post thanked by:

ublinkwescore (08-21-2015)

Making Spirits Bright Joe Fo Sho's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,857 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    Probably because we have one of the best defenses in the NFL.

It's not like the guy can just go down to the local quarterback store and pick one up along with a gallon of milk. The QB market has been terrible over the last few years.

I would like to hear how you would have remedied our QB problem.

11. Post thanked by:

Jimkelly12203 (08-21-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,698 Times in 2,473 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Tyrod & EJ both had good games with the lesser talented players around them.

Despite lack of talent at the WR & RB position, the Bills moved the ball at will.

It reminds me of the Patriots*. No matter who is on the field, they do what they do & win games.

Well, Tyrod & EJ are not Brady, but I think we are seeing the tip of the iceberg with Roman's offense & any of the Bills QB's will be able to move the ball & put up points in that offense.

Rex has said the Bills don't have a great QB, but they have three QB's that are good enough to win in the NFL & I think he knows what he is talking about.

As for EJ, he has moved the ball better than both Cassel & Taylor in the first two games & so far is the only QB that has thrown a TD.

And as for naming a starter, Rex has said he will not do that until he has to. Make the Colts prepare for all three QB's who each have a different skill set.

13. Post thanked by:

ublinkwescore (08-21-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

EJ's accuracy is still off. On that one 3rd and long play, he scrambled and bought time and through to a guy that was triple covered. He could have completed the pass if he led the WR, but the WR had to slow down and the defender caught up.

On the next drive he had a guy wide open in the flats but he overthrew and the WR had to lay out for it, costing YAC.

Same old EJ.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

EJ's accuracy is still off. On that one 3rd and long play, he scrambled and bought time and through to a guy that was triple covered. He could have completed the pass if he led the WR, but the WR had to slow down and the defender caught up.

On the next drive he had a guy wide open in the flats but he overthrew and the WR had to lay out for it, costing YAC.

Same old EJ.
    NITPICKING about EJ.

So what if he is not the most accurate QB.

EJ has moved the ball better than both Cassel & Taylor & has two TD's & 0 INT's.

At this point, EJ is the QB with the highest rating of all the Bills QB's with a rating of 117.2

And it is very difficult to intercept a pass thrown into the ground.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,337 Times in 2,075 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I saw him play in the first game. I missed the first half of the Browns game so I didn't see him there. His scrambling ability is phenomenal and he seems to keep his eyes downfield, but he's one read and then it's all legs. And he's undersized so that's not a sustainable situation. He can't go through the progressions.
    then you missed the browns game. he was scanning the field, finding the open guy and zinging it out to them all game. the only time he was one read all night was when we ran the lone read option play of the half (that's right, we ran one) and when we ran that screen play that the browns blew up (taylor chose to keep it rather then throw it to a guy being mugged by 3 browns, he gained 8 yards, it was pretty good)

personally taylor convinced me he could be an nfl starter last night. and since cassel doesn't' bring the legs taylor does, i think it's a no brainer, the starting job is taylors to lose now.

as for EJ, throwing good against 3rd and 4th stringers is hardly proving anything. He was typical EJ. Threw a lot of dumb passes, threw some into the dirt, and when he had a guy open on a post or slant, he would throw it so behind him that the play was broken up by the DB. He was typically inconsistent and looked identical to how he looked last year.
    Last edited by Ingtar33; 08-21-2015 at 08:04 AM.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

17. Post thanked by:

better days (08-21-2015),OpIv37 (08-21-2015),trapezeus (08-21-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33 View Post
    then you missed the browns game. he was scanning the field, finding the open guy and zinging it out to them all game. the only time he was one read all night was when we ran the lone read option play of the half (that's right, we ran one) and when we ran that screen play that the browns blew up (taylor chose to keep it rather then throw it to a guy being mugged by 3 browns, he gained 8 yards, it was pretty good)

personally taylor convinced me he could be an nfl starter last night. and since cassel doesn't' bring the legs taylor does, i think it's a no brainer, the starting job is taylors to lose now.
    I said Tyrod was electric in the Panthers game & he was every bit as electric in the Browns game.

So far, Cassel has shown the least of all the QB's in preseason games although he had no chance to show anything in the Browns game.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

QB Box Score through scrimmage and 2nd preseason game...

Manuel - 18/33 - 292 yds - 8.85 yds/a - 3 td's - 0 int's - 117.23 pr
    Taylor - 20/31 - 191 yds - 6.16 yds/a - 0 td's - 0 int's - 81.52 pr
    Cassel - 9/14 - 72 yds - 5.14 yds/a - 0 td's - 0 int's - 77.08 pr
    Last edited by Yasgur's Farm; 08-21-2015 at 08:11 AM.

20. Post thanked by:

better days (08-21-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    NITPICKING about EJ.

So what if he is not the most accurate QB.

EJ has moved the ball better than both Cassel & Taylor & has two TD's & 0 INT's.

At this point, EJ is the QB with the highest rating of all the Bills QB's with a rating of 117.2

And it is very difficult to intercept a pass thrown into the ground.
    It's nitpicking to criticize killing a drive by not leading a WR enough and missing what should have been a nice third and long conversion? Wow, just wow.

That ball likely would have been intercepted if he threw it against a starting CB.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by coastal View Post
    Because he and Russ Brandon are two of a kind. In the words of Charlton Ogburn:

"We trained hard ... but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization."

That's this team's real goal. It's not winning, it's reshuffling the deck to create the illusion of progress, in order to sell tickets.

23. Post thanked by:

coastal (08-21-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's nitpicking to criticize killing a drive by not leading a WR enough and missing what should have been a nice third and long conversion? Wow, just wow.

That ball likely would have been intercepted if he threw it against a starting CB.
    LOL, you criticize justa for making assumptions, but you do it all the time.

EVERY QB misses some throws, even Brady & Manning.

EJ has put up better numbers than both Cassel & Taylor.

And on this team, as long as the QB does not turn the ball over, the Bills will win.

So far none of the QB's have even one INT. If they can keep that up, the Bills will make the playoffs.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If Tyrod starts (I like his play so far) we will need to keep at least 3 QB's on the active roster because he will get injured. He exposes himself to hits and general wear and tear running around as much as he does.

Cassel is the obvious backup but plays a completely different style.

EJ might actually end up being the backup since he has better physical talents but just needs more consistent performance.

26. Post thanked by:

Night Train (08-21-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 1,507 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I was impressed with Taylor and would most likely make him the starter. But I was really trying to key in on this last night and I don't think I saw him look beyond his primary option even one time. Even if he is a one read, then run or throw it away QB he might still be the best option we have (which is an indictment on our QB situation if there ever was one). And maybe they're only asking him to look at first options in that game, but I doubt it. I like the guys throw, I think he's pretty accurate, I think he has good poise, command of the huddle and presence. But if we're not going to look beyond the primary target 60+ percent of the time (just throwing a number out there) it is going to severely limit the offense.
    All Hail Josh Allen! Savior of the Buffalo Bills!

Freedom for the Ukraine. Down with Putin and every traitor in this country that supports him.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 606 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't understand how much more could have been expected. Preseason with zero starting RBs or WRs to help him out and he looked decent. He absolutely did not dink and dunk, he threw a couple nice balls that Watkins/Harvin catch easy. There also was that TD pass that was dropped.

It wasn't earth shattering but wtf do people expect. It's a vanilla offense with zero threats.

This is what is wrong with society these days. Somebody either sucks or is amazing. He looked fine even despite the awful circumstances, so I think some of you guys are seeing things through poo covered glasses. I really want to know what more he could have been expected to do.

As for him starting, I'd just give it to him. He has put him self equal with Cassel now, so game 3 will really be the showcase.

29. Post thanked by:

better days (08-21-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by better days View Post
    LOL, you criticize justa for making assumptions, but you do it all the time.

EVERY QB misses some throws, even Brady & Manning.

EJ has put up better numbers than both Cassel & Taylor.

And on this team, as long as the QB does not turn the ball over, the Bills will win.

So far none of the QB's have even one INT. If they can keep that up, the Bills will make the playoffs.
    Brady and Manning have been accurate far more often than not. So, if they miss a pass or two in preseason it's not a sign of concern- they have proven themselves.

EJ, on the other hand, has always struggled with accuracy. So, when he throws inaccurately, it's a sign that he isn't improving.

Just like justa, you fail to see distinctions.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by djjimkelly View Post
    and mr pink strongly dislikes EJ

what i see from this competion is that all 3 are about the same. i still say EJ has the most upside.

i dont care who wins the job i just want the bills to win :)
    I dunno if I'd agree that EJ has the most upside but he has certainly performed on the field the best of the three this preseason. And you're right I still don't like him as a QB, he has absolutely no consistency and makes far too many bad plays.

I just don't understand these people who blasted Cassel's preseason game 1 performance for dink and dunk turning around and praising Taylor for it last night.

The first three quarters of that game was typical Browns - Bills mindnumbingly boring football. Dunno what it is about those teams that when they matchup the game is a snoozefest.