Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 6yrs $90M

Thanks
    Thanked 8,915 Times in 5,307 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: 6yrs $90M

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMama View Post
    Since I converted to Scientology and realized that the only thing stopping good things from happening are Body Thetans (IE the ghosts of aliens trapped in our bodies that cause all negative thinking).
    my biggest fear in life is they're correct and I'm going to be stuck with a boatload of Thetans for eternity...

Kind of like being stuck posting here... for years on end.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,924 Times in 4,182 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    That explains the size of the crap I just took.
    Pffft. Joe's a vegetarian. He eats more fiber in a day than you do in a month.

3. Post thanked by:

coastal (08-21-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

This offer is a serious lowball insult. They are not going to be bringing him back unless he is going to give up the hometown discount...and they the hell should he do that? For one thing, they do not need to offer Suh money they can tag him and drop that number significantly and he will still play here. It's sad but I don't see him on the team next year.

Why not give up the money? Because you cripple yourself from acquiring a QB that might be available in the off season. The Bills are just in a bad position because they are doing their due diligence in building the best team they can. Darius looks like the victim to be thrown to the wolves--which before he gets an attitude and starts *****ing about it he ought to wise up to the fact that he's going to get even more money on the open market.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,559 Times in 17,443 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by GreedoII View Post
    Considering Pegula has already dished out 100 mil on players and 40 mil on a coach who hired 25 assistants...sure man....what's another 120 mil! you idiots make laugh..that's right I called you an idiot
    The only idiots are the ones that consistently hammer Ralph with the 'cheap' label, but are now excusing Pegula.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornSpiller View Post
    15 mill a year isnt a lowball offer, quit being an instigator
    Yeah, it is, considering the market. We all knew the McCoy and Suh deals meant Dareus would be looking for nine figures...and he should get it. As a matter of fact I'm confident he will, but in all honesty a small part of me is actually hoping he doesn't just so I can watch all of the 'Ralph is cheap' *******s choke on their perspective.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by GreedoII View Post
    Considering Pegula has already dished out 100 mil on players and 40 mil on a coach who hired 25 assistants...sure man....what's another 120 mil! you idiots make laugh..that's right I called you an idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Except that Ralph had a chronic history of low balling and letting guys walk to avoid paying them. Pegula so far has done the opposite.

Oh, and remember how we got Clay from the Dolphins by structuring the contract so they couldn't afford to match because of Suh's contract? Translation: between Clay and all the other spending, we don't have the cap space to give Dareus a Suh contract either.
    Ralph also has a 'chronic history' of ponying-up and making players the highest paid in the league, on their side of the ball, or for their position. Admit it, if Ralph were still alive you and many others would be pissed because he low-balled Dareus so he could 'stuff more money in his mattress'.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 944 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Admit it, if Ralph were still alive you and many others would be pissed because he low-balled Dareus so he could 'stuff more money in his mattress'.
    Absolutely... And rightfully so...

If Wilson were alive, chances are very good that:

1: The Bills would be at the top of the list of all the "moving to LA" talks, just as they were up until Pegula bought the team.

2: Rex Ryan would be elsewhere, as would most, if not all of the Bills' coaching staff and we'd have some college/retread that nobody else wanted. Say what you will about Rex, but he has coached more playoff games than Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey, Dick Jauron, Chan Gailey and Doug Marrone combined. That's 15 years of Ralph Wilson Head Coaches going against Pegula's first HC hire as an NFL Owner.

3: McCoy, Harvin, Clay, Incognito among others wouldn't be in Bills uniforms. Funny how that whole "no players want to come to Buffalo" magically disappeared once Pegula took over, isn't it?

4: The season ticket sales record from 1992 would still be intact.

In short, if Wilson were still alive, it'd just be another typical Bills offseason.

Pegula hasn't even owned the team for a calendar year, yet many would argue that he's run the team better in the past 10 months than Wilson did in 50 plus years.

In the Dareus situation, we know how the story would have likely ended on Wilson's watch... I'm infinitely less worried about the Dareus situation with Pegula in charge.

-Bill
    Last edited by BLeonard; 08-21-2015 at 09:45 PM.

8. Post thanked by:

HHURRICANE (08-22-2015),Typ0 (08-21-2015)

Registered User IlluminatusUIUC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,165 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BLeonard View Post
    3: McCoy, Harvin, Clay, Incognito among others wouldn't be in Bills uniforms. Funny how that whole "no players want to come to Buffalo" magically disappeared once Pegula took over, isn't it?
    Let's slow down with that for a second. McCoy had no choice in coming here, and we had to immediately reward him with a contract extension to keep him from becoming disgruntled. We were the only team that even pursued Incognito after he was out of football for a full season. Harvin came here on a market rate deal, but only after he'd both been traded for scrap and cut in the previous 6 months. Charles Clay signed a completely outrageous deal that made him one of the highest paid tight ends in football, but that was after the transition tag forced our hand.

I don't see that any of those four guys really show that Buffalo is a desirable FA destination. What it shows to me is the power of Pegula's wallet, Whaley's trade mojo, and Ryan's willingness to take on last-chance veterans.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

10. Post thanked by:

YardRat (08-22-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BLeonard View Post
    Absolutely... And rightfully so...

If Wilson were alive, chances are very good that:

1: The Bills would be at the top of the list of all the "moving to LA" talks, just as they were up until Pegula bought the team.
    No, the lease Ralph signed already took care of that.

2: Rex Ryan would be elsewhere, as would most, if not all of the Bills' coaching staff and we'd have some college/retread that nobody else wanted. Say what you will about Rex, but he has coached more playoff games than Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey, Dick Jauron, Chan Gailey and Doug Marrone combined. That's 15 years of Ralph Wilson Head Coaches going against Pegula's first HC hire as an NFL Owner.
    Ryan is a retread, with a losing record. The other's mentioned were hot coordinators, retreads, or from the college ranks. That pretty much covers the general pool of candidates that Buffalo has tried to draw from. Rex is a 'name' guy, that is realistically the only thing that separates him from the crowd. Big deal. I'll let the team play a game or two before declaring Rex was a better (or worse) hire than any of the others.

And neither would Mario Williams, or TO. Money talks. TBH, I'm not a fan of this FA class. Good gamble on Incognito...I can live with Shady...Clay and harvin could have stayed where they were or gone elsewhere, IMO.

4: The season ticket sales record from 1992 would still be intact.
    Coming from somebody that hates Brandon this shouldn't even be a factor. Let's see if the playoff drought is still intact, that's more important.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Franchise tag will be less than 15 million a year.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    The Bills offering 6 years 90 million is literally a slap in the face.
    Literally, eh?

The dime a dozen comment is over the top, if he were a dime a dozen, they wouldn't even be bothering to negotiate at this point.

To me, Dareus is better than Suh. He's a guy we simply need to keep on this team, and I'm confident the Bills know it. There are so many different ways to structure a contract. You hear all the time that "this contract that's reported as 4 years and 40 million is actually a 2 years, 15 million." Maybe they structure it a certain way for Dareus, but they will need to offer more. I tend to agree with Ingtar on this one - Suh set the bar. Stalls happen in contract negotiations, it isn't the end of the world. Will be interesting to see where they go from here.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by The King View Post
    Oh come on. That was hilarious. Both players were in street clothes.
    I thought so. Even Mario wanted to laugh.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ingtar33 View Post
    Darius is a better pass rusher then Suh, i'd give Suh a slight nod on run stuffing over Darius. overall i'd say Darius is slightly better then Suh. What Bills fans gotta come to grips with is Darius is good enough statistically to be more or less equal to Suh, which means he'll be asking Suh money. I said it when Suh was signed for 114 mil that he had just set the market for Darius.

We won't be able to sign Darius for a dime less then Suh signed for.
    I disagree

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Dareus will be getting tagged if he doesn't sign and will have to play for only 11-13 million a year(don't know how much it will be in 2016) It's 11.17 for 2015. or he can sit but who is going to turn down 11 million dollars. Only an idiot would. So he can agree to a 90-100 million dollar contract or play for significantly less under the tag for two years.

Dareus might be dumb enough to forget that the Bills can and will use the tag on him.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...franchise-tag/
    Last edited by BertSquirtgum; 08-22-2015 at 11:55 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

lol...Spotrac certainly has changed it's tune in the last couple of months...

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...lion-36-47-gtd

Value of the Contract
    Our base contract figures provided a deal averaging just above $14.2M per season, a number that would rank him 3rd among all NFL defensive tackles. When including our prime percentages (both of which he achieved positive values for), we're given the following:

Low Value (Hometown Discount)
    Utilizing our Average Prime Percentage (+8.04%), we're provided with a contract averaging $15.3M per year, slightly less than McCoy's extension in Tampa.
    5 years, $76,893,706 | $15,378,741 per year | $36,293,829 guaranteed
    Maximum Value
    Utilizing our Median Prime Percentage (22.81%), we're provided with a contract averaging more than $18.8M per year - just less than Suh's deal in Miami.
    5 years, $94,433,161 | $18,886,6325 per year | $44,572,451 guaranteed

The current Bills front office has shown that when they believe in a player, they'll front-load guaranteed money to make the deal work (see TE Charles Clay and DE Jerry Hughes). While the reliability of Dareus may be a concern, he's a hard position to replace at his age & skill-level. With that being said, he simply hasn't shown that he's as valuable to his team on an individual basis (nor consistently statistically productive) as McCoy or Suh over the past two seasons. For this reason, Dareus' true value should lean more on the Low Value, rather than the Maximum

Spotrac's Calculated Projection: $77.6 million

http://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/...ll-dareus-515/

Value of the Contract
    Our base contract figures provided a deal averaging just above $16.2M per season, a number that would rank him 2nd among all NFL defensive tackles. When including our prime percentages (both of which he achieved positive values for), we're given the following:

Low Value (Hometown Discount)
    Utilizing our Average Prime Percentage (+2.1%), we're provided with a contract averaging $16.6M per year,.
    6 years, $99,744,061 | $16,624,010 per year | $47,000,000 guaranteed
    Maximum Value
    Utilizing our Median Prime Percentage (5.95%), we're provided with a contract averaging more than $17.2M per year - halfway between Suh and McCoy.
    6 years, $103,462,663 | $17,243,777 per year | $50,000,000 guaranteed
    In Comparison & Final Thoughts
    Our projection at the beginning of the offseason saw an AAV of just over $15.5M per year. In waiting, and letting the market around him improve, Dareus' value has increase nearly $1.5M per year on average. It should also be noted that the franchise tag value for DTs in 2016 is projecting at around $12M right, so the Bills do have a bit of leverage here in terms of this mechanism. Neither side should be concerned too much with the AAV of this contract. The tougher variable for the Bills will be squeezing about $50M of this deal into the 1st three years (Suh got $60M, McCoy received $40M). And from there, the toughest element to this contract should be the fully guaranteed portion. With off-the-field antics piling up, the Bills should have enough leverage to dial back from the recent slew of 50-55% guarantees.

Spotrac's Calculated Projection: 6 years, $101,400,000

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I bet the Bills get a deal done with Dareus for $17.5 million per year. May need to restructure Clay, Mario and a few others in the end.

19. Post thanked by:

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,903 Times in 4,358 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

6 years $90 million for a guy who disappeared the 2nd half of the season? No thanks.
    Giving this kind of money to a DT when you don't have a QB is a reason why you don't win Super Bowls.

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,899 Times in 2,082 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    6 years $90 million for a guy who disappeared the 2nd half of the season? No thanks.
    Giving this kind of money to a DT when you don't have a QB is a reason why you don't win Super Bowls.
    If Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers grew on trees, and we were ignoring them, then I'd be 100% with you. These guys NEVER hit free agency anymore. But the fact is that right now defense is the strength of the team, and in order to stay competitive, we need to keep our proven players
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 925 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Xenu says 6 years $90M is pretty good. He should sign it with some added bonus escalators.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,492 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
    If Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers grew on trees, and we were ignoring them, then I'd be 100% with you. These guys NEVER hit free agency anymore. But the fact is that right now defense is the strength of the team, and in order to stay competitive, we need to keep our proven players
    Too bad we were in the middle of the Losman debacle when Bree's hit the open market. Losman also negated any consideration of drafting Rodgers in 2005 as well, apparently. Good old JP...at least he won a UFL Championship. Now we have a different guy that uses initials instead of a first name.

24. Post thanked by:

Mike (08-28-2015),TacklingDummy (08-27-2015)