Power to Give Rep

Re: Who is your starting QB

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    I have to pick one of those?
    I read that in Steve Buscemi's voice haha
    "Hate is a lack of imagination."
    -Graham Greene

2. Post thanked by:

Mace (08-23-2015),Mr. Pink (08-23-2015),WagonCircler (08-23-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Since they all bring something different to the table, I'd almost like to see them try a QB by committee approach. Play a QB against a team where their skillset matches up well against. Like Cassel vs. Washington or Tyrod against Miami. In any case, I'd rather see TT against a team with a strong pass rush rather than Cassel taking sacks.

And yes, I know they'll never do this. I just think it's an interesting idea.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I voted for Tyrod but I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm. His first series against Cleveland reminded of the scripted first series you'd see during the regular season where even guys like Manuel and Edwards looked like hall of famers. I don't know what it is about those first drives, but over the years, we had several of them where our QBs looked incredibly decisive, accurate and effective. Then the second and third series come around, the defense has got a look at what our offense is doing and adapts accordingly. Usually that means a three and out. Sure enough, Taylor's second drive ended in a punt. Taylor's strengths lay in his ability to adjust during the play, with his feet. I loved seeing Manuel adapt to the play pre snap, with the audible he called himself at the end of the game.

I want to see consistent scoring drives from Taylor, not just relying on the first scripted drive he got in Cleveland.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 606 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
    Tsk, tsk BD... Haven't you heard that we mustn't use stats?
    Stats are unreliable in preseason. I'm not saying you can't use them, I'm saying they can be misleading. I'm sure I could find you a lot of players that had good stats against 3rd stringers across teams this year, that doesn't mean they should start. Without the full compliment of players, you have to look at performance from a different angle. Some idiot missing an easy field goal shouldn't count against Tyrod, but it would in your analysis. Some scrub dropping an easy pass shouldn't count against Tyrod, but it does in your analysis.

I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand. I seriously feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

6. Post thanked by:

WagonCircler (08-23-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

How do you figure?

What has Taylor, since he's your dog in this fight, done to distance himself from Matt Cassel or EJ Manuel during the games?

Taylor led the first team offense to a FG, so did Cassel. Taylor led the second team to TDs, well Manuel led the 3rd team to TDs in both games.

Out of the group the best passer so far has been EJ Manuel but he screws up other plays that drags him back to the pack, like fumbling 2 out of his first 3 plays the first week or fumbling down near the goal line last night.
    You watched the game right? He had multiple sustained drives, made multiple plays on 3rd down that extended drives through the air, moved the offense efficiently... all with scrubs in at WR and RB. I'm not saying I'm gonzo about him, but he did what he needed to do. You are acting like I think he is amazing, I don't. I think that he performed just as well if not better as the other 2 when weighted for circumstances and has a much higher upside. He's exciting. That counts, it is sports right? It's supposed to be fun.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jry44 View Post
    Not to be a naysayer, but you've also got to take into account that 2 to 3 of the players that were starting in Clevelands secondary on Thursday night aren't even going to make their roster. So it's not like our 4th through 6th wide outs were matched up against 1st and second teamers.

With that saw, I slso think that Tyrod Taylor has a very appealing skill set. I feel that Cassel can manage a game enough for this ro be a playoff team. If Taylor can prove to do the same against a starting caliber secondary with his added skill set, this can be a dangerous team.
    That doesn't make you a naysayer, that is completely fair analysis and I agree. Tyrod is the only one that gives us a chance to be dangerous (I like that you used that word). Cassel might sneak us into the playoffs, maybe Manuel too, and they may be better QBs. But Tyrod has the potential to make us dangerous and I'd like to see that through.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post
    Stats are unreliable in preseason. I'm not saying you can't use them, I'm saying they can be misleading. I'm sure I could find you a lot of players that had good stats against 3rd stringers across teams this year, that doesn't mean they should start. Without the full compliment of players, you have to look at performance from a different angle. Some idiot missing an easy field goal shouldn't count against Tyrod, but it would in your analysis. Some scrub dropping an easy pass shouldn't count against Tyrod, but it does in your analysis.

I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand. I seriously feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
    Yes... EJ is the one I think should start. He's thrown for TD's. He's consistently maintained an excellent PR so far. He's improved from his previous 2 seasons.

No... I don't think he will be named he starter for the Colts game.

No... I do not think carrying Cassel's salary is worth it considering the play from TT and EJ.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yes... EJ is the one I think should start. He's thrown for TD's. He's consistently maintained an excellent PR so far. He's improved from his previous 2 seasons.

No... I don't think he will be named he starter for the Colts game.

No... I do not think carrying Cassel's salary is worth it considering the play from TT and EJ.
    I guess where we disagree is that touchdowns against 3rd stringers is not enough for me to consider him for the starting job. Is this seriously the best analysis people can do... he threw the most TDs? Completely devoid of context??

He looked pretty damn bad last year and lost the starting job to a has-been (yes we can argue about the validity of that all day but whatever). I don't see any reason to think he has improved and to suggest that he has based on his uneven play against very weak competition is just plain incorrect. He looks exactly the same as he always has- uneven and frustrating and sometimes brilliant. I don't know why you are so butthurt about this. Do you seriously feel THAT strongly that he should be the starter? Even if you think he should be, I hardly think there is anything that impressive about what he has done to be getting all hot in the panties about it.

People keep saying that anyone who wants TT to start thinks he is the second coming of Jesus, and that just isn't the case. Nobody thinks he is the savior yet. He has moved the ball effectively and efficiently and has the potential to be an exciting player. It's a difference of opinion that we'll never see eye to eye on, but for the love of God stop acting like it is an obvious open and shut case that EJ should play and TT is garbage. That is just false and it makes this forum a real chore.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 621 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's still concerning that EJ is the only Bills QB to throw a TD this preseason... You gotta admit that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Thinking back to the 90s it seemed every preseason the was some no name RB that would out rush, have a high yards per carry and out score Thurman Thomas. Never did anyone consider giving that RB 1st team rep and Thomas 2nd. Why? Thurman was going against NFL starting players and the other RBs stats were bloated by the level of competition he was going against. Same thing here, your comparing stats of 2 QBs that have played vs NFL starters and EJ who's stats are bloated by going up against 3rd stringers.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,254 Times in 6,469 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You watched the game right? He had multiple sustained drives, made multiple plays on 3rd down that extended drives through the air, moved the offense efficiently... all with scrubs in at WR and RB. I'm not saying I'm gonzo about him, but he did what he needed to do. You are acting like I think he is amazing, I don't. I think that he performed just as well if not better as the other 2 when weighted for circumstances and has a much higher upside. He's exciting. That counts, it is sports right? It's supposed to be fun.
    He sustained drives against Cleveland? What did those drives do? They netted 3 points. And he took an absolutely god awful sack that likely took 3 points off the board.

That is my point everything he did, minus the fact he can run so people love him, is exactly what Cassel did in the first game. Dink dunk sustained drive field goal. Except it took less drives for Cassel to accomplish it.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,471 Times in 9,175 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Amos View Post
    I read that in Steve Buscemi's voice haha
    I read everything Pink says in Steve Buscemi's voice, it's awesome, plus 1 him every chance you get, it's entirely worth reading every one of his posts as Steve Buscemi.

15. Post thanked by:

Famous Amos (08-24-2015)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He sustained drives against Cleveland? What did those drives do? They netted 3 points. And he took an absolutely god awful sack that likely took 3 points off the board.

That is my point everything he did, minus the fact he can run so people love him, is exactly what Cassel did in the first game. Dink dunk sustained drive field goal. Except it took less drives for Cassel to accomplish it.
    I think poor red zone efficiency should be expected when having to play without a single starter at WR or RB. Of course it doesn't look great, but expectations should be tempered. Most QBs in the league would not be able to score in those situations.

I know it's not easy and it isn't the resounding yeehaw evidence you want to see, but you have to do analysis with what you have. Cassel was fine, I'm not knocking him at all. I just think TT looked pretty much equal to Cassel with less weapons (al beit against a worse team), plus he has the ability to move the ball with his legs. I don't know why you are so easy to discount how useful that is.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's still concerning that EJ is the only Bills QB to throw a TD this preseason... You gotta admit that.
    I agree for sure, but like I said, with no starting RBs or WRs I wasn't expecting much. I just wanted to see sustained drives and execution on 3rd downs through the air (not running all over the place). Maybe we just have different expectations of what someone should be able to accomplish with so little around him. That's fine.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Whomever the coaches decide deserves to start is who I will back. I have a feeling at least 2 of them will play meaningful minutes this year and can see all 3 playing at least a bit. Bottom line, I don't care who starts the season...just make the damn playoffs. I'm tired of the fact the last time they made it I was 13 and said they should take a knee, spike it, then kick it. How are coaches so terrible at clock management??? /rant

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

But Tyrod has the potential to make us dangerous.
    Dangerous cuts both ways. That's why Roman wants Cassel. Roman has a very complex system, and reading and recognizing Defenses is a major part of it. Safe is a four letter word, but when it comes to being an NFL QB, it means a lot, especially when you have a Defense that can keep the Bills in almost any game. Mistake free football is very valuable.

That being said, Tyrod has shown enough fundamental skills that it wouldn't be the end of the world if he started, but I see the read option game as being dangerous in a bad way. But Tyrod at least shows an ability to be accurate when throwing on the run, something that EJ absolutely cannot do.

There are no good choices, but EJ is a horrendous choice.

20. Post thanked by:

BuffaloRedleg (08-24-2015),Mace (08-23-2015),Victor7 (08-24-2015)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,471 Times in 9,175 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by WagonCircler View Post
    There are no good choices, but EJ is a horrendous choice.
    Besides the fact he might Trent Edwards, why are you hating on him Mr. Sour Grapes ?

Nah, don't answer that. I'm just not so bothered by the chosen whoever and don't want to be, even though I probably know better.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Can't see it working out for EJ "Most Likely to Hit A Cameraman" Manuel. Sorry but I just don't really see the argument for him any longer, regardless of the TDs. He makes mistakes often enough to negate any great throws he makes along the way. Can't count on him to bring it when it matters. Granted we don't have a lot on TT, but so far he's been holding his own. I'd say cut Cassel and make EJ the backup but that won't fly, as it will be looked at as too risky not to have the "veteran backup" in the stables. So, my bet is TT, Cassel...EJ gets cut. JMO.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

EJ will be starting by week 9. Mark it down.
    Last edited by BertSquirtgum; 08-23-2015 at 10:36 PM.

24. Post thanked by:

djjimkelly (08-23-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,319 Times in 2,848 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Besides the fact he might Trent Edwards, why are you hating on him Mr. Sour Grapes ?

Nah, don't answer that. I'm just not so bothered by the chosen whoever and don't want to be, even though I probably know better.
    My normally above average Mace to English translation skills fail me here, but I can answer the first part.

EJ clearly is what he is--a QB who will always struggle so mightily with mechanics and accuracy that he will never progress to the necessary level beyond that. That level requires mechanics to be second nature. They will never, ever, ever be second nature to him, and because of this, the real nuanced skills which require instant recognition, decision making and execution, will never be a part of his game.

But when you take the fatal flaw above and factor in how the false hope in him by our GM has set back the franchise, the anger is multiplied exponentially. Whaley has been so hell bent on making the square peg that is EJ fit into the round hole that is the franchise QB, that he has been disastrously derelict in addressing the problem that is the Bills' fatal flaw. Here's a guy who will wheel and deal and overspend like a Fracking Billionaire for a ****ing Wide Receiver, but he won't even bother to DRAFT a guy to throw to him.

The point is, that the hate is not for EJ the person. He is obviously a very nice kid who works hard and wants to succeed, but who just doesn't have the "it" that elite NFL QBs have. Rather, the hate is for EJ, the situation. And as long as they both co-exist in Buffalo, the stubbornness will continue, and so will the playoff drought.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by WagonCircler; 08-23-2015 at 10:38 PM.

26. Post thanked by:

Mace (08-24-2015)